Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 921 of 948

Guys, please. You can't put two off - Page 921 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 26th Sep, 2018 - 5:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue

+  « First of 948 pgs.  917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 921

As I said, the first scenario, you find out the coins are heavier or lighter when you weigh the first pair of the known bad four or the single of the last pair. You don't need to know this fact to resolve that part. The leftover two coins, if bad, get checked by the last weighing against a good coin. Again, that part doesn't need to know if it's heavier or lighter. The only time the actual variance needs to be known is if the two stacks of three mixed coins contain the bad one. Then the one lighter or two heavier rule comes into play, and that last weighing will determine if the solution is a lighter or heavier - because you know the pair you weigh has to be heavy if it has the bad coin in it.
What I need to know is if there is a way that the bad coin escapes being found, the way I describe it.
EDIT - just to clarify: If the lighter side stays light, then the bad coin is now either the moved light one, or the heavy pair. If the other side becomes light, then it's the moved single there (A, in this case) or the heavy pair on the other side. I'm ready to post my solution, unless you can prove it missed the coin somehow.

Reconcile Edited: Gknightbc on 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:02pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Just go for it, I'd rather not sit here and deal with this riddle forever.

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Okay, then, if no one has any other objections, I'll post what I have and let's proceed.
For riddle number two, I see how that question works better, as it eliminates two variables for each answer. Whew! But I admit it, I had fun working these out *smile*.

Reconcile Edited: Gknightbc on 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:47pm

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 4:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 921 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

As stated, the solution is incorrect, but it looks like the error was a slip of the metaphorical tongue rather than one of logic.

I'll give you a chance to correct it, hint, the statements presented on this page and their counterparts in the main thread don't quite match.

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 4:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

So did the party get a long rest while the wizard worked all of this out and explained all if/then statements to the sphynx? wink.gif I picture everyone passed out on the ground. (Laugh)

Kudos to Gnight and Seath for working these out. (... Regardless of who was right or made errors in the recent posts about riddle #3. I'm sparing myself the pain of going through it all again.)

It can, potentially, be easy to get 90% of the way there with your logic and all of your 'if/then' statements, conditional questions for #2, etc. Etc. But still fall short of taking all possibilities into account, so thanks again guys for working through it all.

(Without looking back, I do think both guys were correct about riddle #3, 'scenario A' where the first use of the scale reveals that the rogue coin is in stack (9,10,11,12). I think it is valid to solve that one either way (Stack of 2 vs. Neutral stack) or (Stack of 3 vs neutral stack). It is the rest of the puzzle that gets even more complex.).

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dai, please confirm the more elaborate edit. biggrin.gif I see where I put the wrong statement/words in, and stretched it out further to be clear.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 921

Okay I don't want to cheat anyone, so let's compare logic.

Skip up until the point where you are weighing A, 2, 3 versus 1, B, C. With A, B, C having been previously on the heavy side and the mixed piles not matching.

If a23 is now heavy, then the bad coin was transferred and is either a heavy A or a light 1. Test one of those two against a known good coin. This works.

But if 1BC is heavy, then the bad coin was not transferred, and is a light 2/3, or a heavy B/C. With only one weigh left, there's no chance to be sure which

What I think you needed to do, if light side was 1 2 3 4 and heavy side was a b c d, would be to discard 3 and 4. Then weigh 1ab vs 3bc. Assuming 1ab is heavier, the bad coin is either a light 2 or a heavy a/b. Weighing a vs b would determine which of the three.

If I misunderstood, by all means point it out.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 26th Sep, 2018 - 5:28pm

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 921

Guys, please. You can't put two off to the side from the pile of eight and still have this work. You need to put THREE off to the side and throw in one from the third "Known good" pile. So using your labeling, if 1234 is heavier than ABCD then the initial piles of 3 are, A,B,1 and C,2,5. You need one coin in here from the known good pile to make this whole problem work. Please re-read my post on the last page.

EDIT Just have the sphinx tell us we are wrong on this one already.

EDIT2: I'm going to suffer an aneurysm if this continues.

Reconcile Edited: seath on 26th Sep, 2018 - 6:07pm

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.