Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 926 of 948

Daishain, I assume the banishment spell failed? - Page 926 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 2nd Oct, 2018 - 12:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock

+  « First of 948 pgs.  922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Related Information to Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
NOTE: Anything related to your schedule, why you could not Post, issues at home, your plans for the future and so forth go in your Introduction, NOT in this Thread. You can access your Introduction at anytime- use the button that says "My Intro" within your Posts or from your Profile. Additionally, to befriend someone, get to to know them, carry on small talk and so forth please use their Introduction by clicking on the same "My Intro" button on their Profile or Post.
Post Date: 30th Sep, 2018 - 2:31pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 926

I agree with Seath. I object to class modifications 95% of the time because Wizards put a lot of time into balancing the classes and 5e is generally celebrated for being well balanced. I don't really trust individual players to fairly home brew their own class. Seath and I have had people try to bring completely home brewed classes to our table, for instance, and we have rejected them. Now, that is a general statement and is not specific to warlocks, Anron, or the PC Tazskan. In this case, due to the campaign style, I have less of an issue with the particular change suggested and am happy to defer to Daishain without protest.

Since we are on the subject, I do vehemently disagree with the words above saying the invocation as is "Wouldn't be fair". In my opinion, one should not really compare the warlock to a wizard or any other full caster. A warlock is more akin to a ranger or other partial caster, unless you start to really rack up many more rests in a day. I say this because they can spam the best damage cantrip in the game all day long, firing multiple bolts at different targets. This is akin to the mutli-attack of a ranger, fighter, or other such classes who can keep pouring on the damage all day long regardless of rests with their basic attacks. The warlock spell slots are just icing on the cake for situational AoE or other strong effects a few times a day. If spamming eldritch blast eventually gets boring, well, that's just kind of a known drawback to the class and one could say the same for many of the martial classes. This should be considered when selecting the class. Note that, if everyone runs out of spell slots, a warlock will continue to carry the party in damage along with the other classes I have mentioned as the cleric and wizard will start to really suffer with their less effective damage cantrips.

Anyhow, while I'm here, I'll make my Dexterity check!

Reconcile Edited: Cinder on 30th Sep, 2018 - 2:34pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Sep, 2018 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

On the question of the spells cast, can Lawrence determine which orb is responsible for which spell? If so, dispel a summoning orb, otherwise stick with stated action.
Also, no changes in the circles were observed when the multi colored one was stepped on?

Reconcile Edited: Gknightbc on 30th Sep, 2018 - 2:52pm

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2018 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

By the minimum level of the spell, I mean the default setting. So just ignore the bits that say "At higher levels" at the bottom.

And yeah Kyr, that is something I've noticed as well. Every Warlock guide I've ever seen recommends staying far clear from the invocations in questions. That's not something I like to see. People ought to be able to have plenty of options both interesting and useful.

Seath and Cinder, I tend to agree. Including about the issues with balance long vs short rest optimized characters.

Unfortunately in that regard, I find that managing the kind of day where the warlock really shines to be rather difficult. Not least because in most situations preventing people from backing off and getting that long rest in if it is really needed quickly runs into unrealistic railroad territory.

So no, there haven't been many cases where people can get lots of short rests in but no long rests in this campaign. And I don't see that changing I am afraid.

Edit: yes, Lawrance can tell which is which.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 30th Sep, 2018 - 2:50pm

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2018 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 926 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

According to the current order of Initiative, Velon will go before Poljen goes next. He will wait for Velon's orders before moving. He is inclined to move right until he is out of the fog, and then attack what might need to be attacked… but Velon might have a specific plan…

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2018 - 10:13pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Reviewing all of the evidence for this 'puzzle' before posting again.

Regarding short rests, it's funny to think how brutal the taking of the castle was in the other direction. What an exhausting affair for the characters. Short rests were great as we tried and failed at long resting. We were totally out of slots even before the vampire fight, with the exception of adding Niko and the sorcerer just before that. I forget when the last long rest was before taking the castle, but we had a werewolf encounter and everything else all in that one day.

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2018 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yes that whole sequence was nonstop battle after battle, when Lawrence joined the party. Situations change each classes effectiveness, you just hope that it all averages out. One of the spells I chose for Lawrence is meant to aid that, when we know it’s going to be a drawn out day. Catnap is very effective in that method in keeping the short resters charged up. This day wasn’t expected to be one of those, but after this puzzle battle it may end of being one.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Oct, 2018 - 2:12am / Post ID: #
Tazskan Daardendrien
Dragonborn Lvl 10 Warl...
Character
Follower / Middle Front
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Genealogy Ancestral Line
Base Has a Home Base
Active Player Active Role-player!

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 926

The Protector. says...

For what its worth, I agree with the comments concerning a Warlocks useage of invocations.
Also Dai's houserule, concerning the invocations that should, or normally use up a spell slot.

Whats, the point in having a invocation but then having to waste it on a limited spell slot? As Cinder pointed out, he isn't a full spell caster, but more like a Ranger.

Also, why limit the Warlock to "Spaming" eldritch blasts. Its bad enough that he has to devote a whole invocation just, to agonizing. Thats, just to make his EB cantrip deal more damage!

As for being able to have a short rest, let alone a long rest. As Dai pointed out, that sure ain't going to happen. Not anytime soon.

I have one 5th level spell slot left, and have not even made an aquaintence with Cyanwrath! So if Lawrence is able to give Taz a catnap, that may help?

Reconcile Edited: anronrosby on 1st Oct, 2018 - 2:20am

Post Date: 2nd Oct, 2018 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 926

Daishain, I assume the banishment spell failed? I'm just wondering what clues Lia gathered from her attempt to banish the construct. The spell said creature so maybe constructs are immune to it?

This is definitely a positive. I would rather face the construct alone even with it's ability to cause massive damage. Having it's friends to deal with as well didn't sound like much fun.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 2nd Oct, 2018 - 12:06am

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.