Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 125 of 948

So, are we going with a long rest or a short - Page 125 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

18th October 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 948 pgs.  121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129  ...Latest (948) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 8:33pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support - Page 125

Before we settle on a long rest, Poljen is waiting to see what we can learn about the bad guys with his spyglass from the tower again. I will post about that shortly. Oh, and can Onwen look at the ring and whistle Poljen recovered?

Now one other question: Can those of us who went topside still get the benefit of the extra healing from the bard? If so, I will attach my 2d4 here. Thanks!

Reconcile Edited: PaulNelson on 29th Mar, 2017 - 8:33pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

So I take it you guys are going for a long rest? Or just the short one?

If Poljen and the others go back down where the music can be heard when you do finish running about and get your rest, yes, you can get the 2d4.

Onwen is very quickly able to determine that neither ring nor whistle have any special properties save for the whistle being fairly efficient at hurting your companion's eardrums.

The symbol on the ring does have some significance that Lia is aware of, Kyr said she'd be sharing that info with the group shortly.

It should be noted that Lia still needs to be relatively quiet for a full 8 hours to get the long rest benefit. She just typically spends less of her nights actually zonked out. The need to sleep and the need for a long rest often coincide, but they are not quite the same thing.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 29th Mar, 2017 - 9:03pm

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Daishain, I thought that elves only needed the four hour trance to get credit for a full rest. That is what it states in the elf section in the PHB.

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 9:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 125 Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

It states that elves only need the 4 hour trance to get the benefit others get from 8 hours of sleep.

The benefit of 8 hours of sleep is… avoiding exhaustion and potentially other consequences as determined by the Dungeon Master.

Sleep and trancing often coincide with a long rest, as the first two activities qualify for the last, but they're very specifically listed as separate things.

I know, its weird, and among the things I've considered tacking onto my list of houserules. But as it stands…

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 29th Mar, 2017 - 9:57pm

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Support QampA Rules Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

I see your point and agree with you. That is bad rules writing to me. I was thinking that she could trance for 4 hours and stand watch the rest of the night so the others could sleep more. She can still only be active for two hours just like anyone else. The whole four hour trance thing seems pointless though. 4 hour trance then 2 hours standing watch. Then 2 more hours just awake but not able to stand watch. I wish they would clean that up a little. They might as well say that elves meditate instead of sleep and not mention the 4 hours. How often does the exhaustion and lack of sleep really matter? Not too much that I've ever seen.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:15pm

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I will say that she is free to be a bit more active than most in the remaining four hours, including standing watch if she wishes. She just won't be able to pack up and hit the road or start fighting again until everyone else is ready to do so as well. Fair enough?

And yeah, I get the feeling the Trance ability was included solely because elves have had that ability for a long time in Dungeons & Dragons history, but they were worried about a lot of primary casters other than warlocks going for elf just so they could get their spell slots back midday more easily.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:23pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support - Page 125

I agree with that. That's a fair compromise. I honestly thought before this that 4 hours was all she needed the way it was written. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not trying to get an advantage over other players. It would be helpful to let others sleep more. She will stop for the night etc when everyone else does.

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D Rules Q&A Support D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 125

So, are we going with a long rest or a short rest. I don't think everyone gave their preference. Right now some look to be thinking long rest and others short. Did I miss the decision? It's quite possible I missed a post.

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D Rules, Q&A, And Support

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.