Does Depression End At Death?

Does Depression Death - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st Dec, 2006 - 2:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 28th Jul, 2004 - 4:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've suffered from severe depression for about thirteen years now, and anticipate suffering from it for the rest of my life. Often times it feels as though there will never be an escape from the depression. Not even in death and the resurrection.

I've done some looking, but can't find anything on this. Does anybody know if things like depression are lifted in death? Any quotes or scriptures would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
28th Jul, 2004 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

Death End Depression Does

I am sure others will respond, but I just wanted to point out that there are in depth topics about this in the Mature LDS section and on another level in the Emotional Abuse and Recovery Board (You have permission for these boards now). Lastly, in my opinion, God, who is Great, can make all things possible... 'His Burden is Light'.

Post Date: 28th Jul, 2004 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Does Depression End At Death? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think we will be subject to the same weaknesses and trials after death as we are during mortality. One thing we discussed recently in Priesthood meeting is that after death, wherever you go, it is a continuation of this life. In other words, we had the pre-existence, or our first estate and we came to earth and entered mortality, our second estate. Those who have died, are still in their second estate, so it is more a continuation of our present life. It is not until after the resurrection that we will overcome the weaknesses we experience now.

28th Jul, 2004 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

And that's why it is so important the process of Repentance while we still here. Even though we know we will be able to repent after this life (even though the Brethren do not emphasied such thing) it would NOT be easy as some people may think, we will not have a body and we will miss it! and we will realize we will not be able to do a lot of things. Some people think that once we die, suddenly everything will change but they don't realize we will be the same! same thinking! same mind!

Post Date: 28th Jul, 2004 - 7:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (gaucho)
I think we will be subject to the same weaknesses and trials after death as we are during mortality.

I agree, that many of the things that plague us in this life will be carried over, but other things will not be. For example, if a person has a severe physical disability, like say that they are crippled from the waist down, do you think that that weakness will continue with them until the resurrection?

I tend to think that many types of depression are physically based, and thus without the body there would be no cause for the depression. At least I hope that's how it might work, but unlike something like paralyzed legs, it's hard to say whether the depression is all in my mind or not.

Post Date: 28th Jul, 2004 - 8:22pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well, since we won't have a body after we die and before we are ressurected, someone with a physical disability would not seem to have the same problem as now. I guess you can move around at will.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Jan, 2005 - 7:24am / Post ID: #

Does Depression End Death

While it is true that the same spirit that possesses one's body here will have power to possess his or her body in the life to come, depression is an illness. We need to define depression.

There is the type of depression that comes from making the wrong choices and feeling terrible until the problem is corrected or the conscience becomes numb. This type of depression is obviously caused by sin, but it is not prompted by Christ. The sin requires repentance, then the resulting emotional distress must be addressed. If the sins are not resolved in this life, they must be resolved in the next. Those issues require the Atonement of Christ and the obedience of the sinner. This type of depression is usually a temporary 'blue funk' that results from the knowledge of one's sinful state.

The other type of depression is caused by biochemical factors, rather than spiritual misdeeds. As others have indicated, it can be quite a permanent disease. It may be triggered by a bad decision, but it lingers far after proper repentance has been made. It may also be triggered by the weather, the death of a loved one, or seemingly nothing at all. As this type of depression is a physical ailment, it will be mercifully healed in the resurrection. However, if sins accompany that depression, they must be resolved.

To inherit the Celestial Kingdom, we must eventually become celestial beings, meaning we act and think in the way God acts and thinks. To shed the shroud of depression is a necessary step in that process. But it is a process - we will not unexpectedly wake up one day just as God is. We will continue to grow from grace to grace, even as Christ did. For the faithful who suffer from depression in this life, He will provide a way to have that burden lifted so that they may enjoy the blessings of eternity for which they have qualified. We do not understand how it is done, but the Lord sees the hearts of all of us, and he has perfect empathy for every type of ailment. There is no burden too heavy for him to lift, nor a barrier to salvation that he cannot help us overcome if we are willing and obedient.

Post Date: 31st Dec, 2006 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Does Depression End Death Mormon Doctrine Studies

Everything I've read on NDE's tells of the person's complete wholeness both in their spiritual body as well as their mind. All infirmities of their mortal body was gone. Their fears, regrets and guilty feelings remained, but their minds and "bodies" were whole. That's why they felt/feel such horrible physical pain when their spirits reentered their physical bodies.

Depression, in all forms other than those caused of guilt, is a physical, mental illness which will not be forced upon our spiritual existence anymore than we will have our physical bodies before resurrection.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Does Depression End At Death?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,