Quetzalcoatl is JesusChrist?

Quetzalcoatl Jesuschrist - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Mar, 2005 - 7:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
18th Jan, 2003 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

The following is quoted from Joseph Allen's Exploring the Lands of the Book of Mormon:

Virtually all 16th Century writers wrote about a white god called Quetzalcoatl (KATES-ALL-CO-OUGHT-ALL). This
tradition is strong and repetitive. The symbol of the serpent has long been associated with deities of Mexico and Guatemala. In the Aztec language, the word "coatl" means serpent. By placing the Aztec word "quetzal" in front of the word "coatl," we have the word "Quetzalcoatl." The word "quetzal" means feathers. A beautiful bird, native to Guatemala, carries the name quetzal. Quetzalcoatl, therefore, means "feathered serpent," or serpent with precious feathers. Throughout pre-Columbian Mexican history, scores of individuals, both mythological and real, were given the name or title of Quetzalcoatl. Attempts also have been made to attribute the name Quetzalcoatl to only one person. The following quotations are indicative of what is said about Quetzalcoatl:

In all of America's past no figure is more exciting, more tantalizing, or more frustrating that that of the Fair God
Quetzalcoatl. (Irwin 1963:33)

Quetzalcoatl was a man of comely appearance and serious disposition. His countenance was white, and he wore a beard. His manner of dress consisted of a long, flowing robe. (Ixtlilxochitl:45)

Just as our era began with Christ, so that of the Aztecs and their predecessors began -- approximately at the same  time--with Quetzalcoatl. His image, the plumed serpent, had for pre-Columbian people the same evocative force as has the Crucifix for Christianity. (Sejourne 1957: 25)

The story of the life of the Mexican divinity, Quetzalcoatl, closely resembles that of the Savior, so closely indeed, that we can come to no other conclusion than that Quetzalcoatl and Christ are the same being. (Taylor 201)

Similarities of Christ and Quetzalcoatl include the following:

1.Both Christ and Quetazlcoatl were recognized as creator of all things. (Mosiah 4:2 Saenz 1962:19,  40)
  2.Both Christ and Quetzalcoatl were born of virgins. (Alma 7:10; Gamiz 95)
 Â  3.Both Christ and Quetzalcoatl are described ad being white or as wearing a white robe. 3 Nephi 11:8; Torquemada 47)
  4.Both Christ and Quetzalcoatl taught the ordinance of baptism. (3 Nephi 11:23; Irwin 1963: 170)
  5.Both Christ and Quetzalcoatl prophesied of future events. (Ixtlilxochitl:40)
  6.Both Christ and Quetzalcoatl were universal, as opposed to just being recognized as local gods. (3 Nephi 16:1; Sejourne 1962)
  7. A great destruction was associated with both Christ and Quetzalcoatl at exactly the same period in history. (3 Nephi 8:5; Ixtlilxochitl:40)
  8.The cross was s symbol to both Christ and Quetzalcoatl. (3 Nephi 27:14; Irwin 1963:165)
  9.Both Christ and Quetzalcoatl sent out disciples to preach their word.(3 Nephi 12:1; Writhe 1978:55)
 10.Both Christ and Quetzalcoatl promised that would come a second time. (2 Nephi 6:14; Sahagun 1:40)
 11.A new star is associated with both Christ and Quetzalcoatl. (3 Nephi 1:21; Annals de Cauhtitlan 7)
 12.The children of both Christ and Quetzalcoatl will become lords and heirs of the earth. (4 Nephi 1:17; Ixtlilxochitl:40)

What are your thoughts about this? Was Quetzalcoatl in fact the prove that JesusChrist came to the Americas?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2003 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

JesusChrist Quetzalcoatl

I personally agree (once again) with Zecharia Sitchin's analysis of Quetzalcoatl in one of the books in his Earth Chronicles Series called the Lost Realms:
Sitchin believes that Quetzacoatl was in fact the Egyptian God of Science, Mathematics, Writing and the Calendar. Thoth, whose God Ranking was 52 (Gods in ancient times were identified by rank from 60 (Anu) on down). It is believed that Quetzlcoatl brought the 'Calendar of 52' to the peoples of Mesoamerica. In Yucatan, the Maya called him Kukulcan; inthe Pacific regions of Guatemala and El Salvador, he was called Xiuhtecuhtli; the names all meant the same: Feathered or Winged Serpent. Quetzalcoatl promised to return. Fervently, the skywatchers of the jungles consulted ancient almanacs.  Priests advanced the idea that the vanished deities would return if offered the throbbing hearts of human sacrifices.  But at some crucial date during the 9th century AD, a prophesied event failed to occur. All the cycles came together, and added up to nothing. And so the ceremonial centers and cities dedicated to the Gods were abandoned to the cover of the jungles surrrounding them.
This history is a bit more complicated than what I have described here but the bits and pieces of the whole story of Quetzalcoatl and the other stories in the area point to the Egyptian God Thoth -  

19th Jan, 2003 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

Quetzalcoatl is JesusChrist? Studies Doctrine Mormon

So what's your thoughts? Was him JesusChrist? Was him the cause for the Aztecs to surrounded to Cortez so easily because they thought it was him?

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2003 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

A Friend

JesusChrist Quetzalcoatl

No, I don't think Quetzalcoatl was Jesus, the Christ.  I watched a 'Nova' episode called 'Jesus Christ'  just two weeks ago.  In it, a team of archaeologists, forensic paleo-anthropologists and historians put all of the most recent known and accepted information about Jesus Christ  together to come up with a likely image of the man Jesus.  The results were nothing that most people thought.  Brownish middle-eastern skin, Short to average-length Black curly hair and short beard, full, thickish face with intense eyes, burly shoulders. I wish I could show you what forensic science came up with. That alone in my mind rules out any resemblance to Quetzalcoatl since Quetzalcoatl appeared as a bearded Caucasian and of course may have had brownish hair and beard and probably stood taller than Jesus was.  The similarities with the Egyptian God Thoth are much greater and of course one of the major symbols of Thoth was the cross as can be seen in many pictographs.  And Thoth too was white and bearded and loved the sea.  Now H. Cortez could easily have been mistaken for Quetzalcoatl since he came by sea (the way Quetzalcoatl said he would return) and his Spanish Caucasian features including his beard would have convinced many natives that he was indeed Quetzalcoatl (returned).

20th Jan, 2003 - 2:47pm / Post ID: #

JesusChrist Quetzalcoatl

I heard about how archaeologists think that Jesus Christ was black and it's really impossible he was. I personally think he was not white but he was not black either. In the Church point of view and how the Prophets described Christ they did in fact said that he was white and one of the Prophets (I cannot remember who) looking at a picture of Christ (the famous one wih the red robe) said that Jesus looks just like the painting but with blue eyes.
So, really, scientists say all kind of different things some of them really crazy to me. There are two things that it doesn't convince me that Quetzalcoatl is JesusChrist i: one the fact that this god of the aztecs used to get drunk and even have sex with his own sister. Now, will Christ do something like that? No way!!!!!.I should have to research about the Egiptian god Thoth to see what similitudes he has with JesusChrist.

Post Date: 21st Jan, 2003 - 12:27am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Of course Jesus was not a black-skinned man. He was a middle-eastern man with black curly hair.  And of course, I don't believe that Thoth or 'Thutmose' as Egyptians sometimes know him was Jesus Christ either.  I think Jesus Christ was Jesus Christ and didn't go by other names or identities. He was singular and unique to mankind's history.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Mar, 2005 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Quetzalcoatl JesusChrist

In the book New Evidence of Christ in Ancient America the other quotes several Catholic priests who have studied the Native American records and listened to the legends of old. Several of them agree that Jesus Christ did visit this continent and was this Quetzalcoatl.

Also if you compare what they did you will see that they are in fact one in the same.

24th Mar, 2005 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Quetzalcoatl JesusChrist Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think chances are good the stories are, in fact, of the Savior.

It isn't surprising to me that the stories don't exactly match what we know the Savior did or even that some of the stories now include awful things we are sure He would never do. Remember, the Nephites were all destroyed. The stories then remained to be passed down generation to generation by a "wicked" people. It isn't surprising, to me, that they would corrupt the stories to suit their purposes and to help justify their behavior.

However, the similarities are enough to convince me that this is likely the same person. We know He was here on the American continent. Of course, such an event would have been recorded and handed down verbally. Just like events were as are found currently in the Old Testament and New Testament. Non LDS-Christians don't believe he was here, to do so would cause them to have to consider the truthfulness of the Gospel taught by the only Church that recognizes such an event. So, I believe they will always offer other explanation. To me, there is no question.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Quetzalcoatl is JesusChrist?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,