Empty Farms Crumbling Buildings

Empty Farms Crumbling Buildings - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 18th Sep, 2008 - 5:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

17th Sep, 2008 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

Seems funny how an area once rampant with small farms now lie dissolute and harsh to ones eye.

My dad was visiting last Saturday and it was fun we installed a screen door in the rain. It also brought back memories of the smell of manure on the fields being turned under in the fall and spring and the lowing of cattle.

I was reminiscing on these thought when I happened over this poem at www.canadianstories.net

The Cross

The area I lived in like so many others are riddles by sites like this and I am glad to think maybe like the poem some small child will see the rubble for its true inheritance.

I hope you enjoyed the poem as much as I did.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2008 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Buildings Crumbling Farms Empty

That is a nice poem. I find it interesting that it takes a child to wonder rather than an adult. I would love to get into a old farm house that is about to fall in. To be able to fix it up and to make it a nice place to get away to would be fun.

17th Sep, 2008 - 6:35pm / Post ID: #

Empty Farms Crumbling Buildings History & Civil Business Politics

I have such a project though I do not own the farm. Friend of ours bought one in Perrysound but he is not a handy man I thought it was odd. Wish it was not 2.5 hours drive from here I would love to help fix it more.

Need to replace roof on barn pole but he has a cedar swamp take time not much monies. Scrap covers the fields but there is an old flt bed car trailer there likely could get that mobile eve if shockless and clean it up in a week of intense effort. Then here sheepy sheepy.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2008 - 2:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I would rather get a lama than a sheep but to each their own there. smile.gif

Most of the old farms that are falling down due to noone living in them for years are not something that the property owner wants to see fixed up for some reason. Maybe lower taxes.

18th Sep, 2008 - 3:00pm / Post ID: #

Yes I bet you are right on that Klar but at the same time if it is not used as agriculture land you do not get the tax breaks either.

I like sheep as the one string of electric fence is quick to put up till better fences can be done. Lama taste good?

18th Sep, 2008 - 3:17pm / Post ID: #

That is an awesome poem, I am glad you posted it. Thanks. It says so much. Not only of farms and lives left behind, but of values and principles.

We drove down here to Mesquite from Salt Lake yesterday through Southern Utah. We passed a lot of abandoned farms and ranches along the way. But there was also an amazing amount of growth, just not agricultural. Huge homes in the middle of nowhere you have to wonder. Society seems to be trading in their traditional values for the riches of the world.

By the way - Llama (and Alpaca) are pack animals that are used for their wool. It is the softest and very waterproof. More so than sheep wool. I am not aware of anyone who raises them for the meat, but I suppose it happens. I love Alpacas, but they are so darned expensive. $10k or more for just one. At least in Alaska.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 32 ActivistPoliticianActivist 3.2%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Sep, 2008 - 4:33pm / Post ID: #

Yes Llama wool is actually nicer then sheep I just have a hard time feeding something I can not turn around and eat. So no horses either for this guy unless I have a bush to skids logs out off.

Alpacas 10 k ouch! That is even worse then ostriches.

Glad you like the poem as well.

Post Date: 18th Sep, 2008 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Empty Farms Crumbling Buildings Politics Business Civil & History

Yes the wool is nicer and Llama meat is a tastey meat too. You get more meat out of one Llama than almost two sheep. SO it is a good animal to raise and breed to keep yourself well stocked on a useable good to sale and food to eat. smile.gif

> TOPIC: Empty Farms Crumbling Buildings

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,