Mormon Dreams And Visions

Mormon Dreams Visions - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 14th Jan, 2013 - 11:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Are they too sacred to share?
24th Sep, 2008 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

Why is it that we don't hear about dreams and visions like in the early days of the Church? Brothers and sisters used to share this all the time.

When was the last time you heard a person sharing an experience of this kind? Let's say when was the last time you heard someone saying they had a vision of the Celestial Kingdom or a visit from the other side of the veil. How would your reaction be if you heard such account? Is it that we have become so spiritually weak that if if we hear these accounts we will not believe them and label them either as lies or the account of a mentally disturbed person?

The Church leaders have talked about keeping those experiences to ourselves because they are "Too sacred" to share by what would happen if the Prophet Joseph Smith did not share the First Vision, Nephi or Lehi or so many other great people from the Scriptures. They did all the opposite, they told the world. They wanted others to hear these experiences so they could benefit from them.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Sep, 2008 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Visions Dreams Mormon

This is what I believe in a Nutshell. There are designated prophets that receive revelation for us and the world at large. These are special individuals. The gift of being a seer is the least common and the most difficult. Most of us have a hard time receiving our own revelation, much less for a large group. So it is sacred to ourselves when we receive revelation. Here I think is the trick. When someone says that they know the church is true and you feel the spirit when they say it; you can pretty much guarantee that they have been given confirmation by the spirit that the church is true. If someone says that they have a knowledge that the church is true, well I think everyone should know that one. The Prophets say it all the time.

Only those designated can receive revelation for the church at large. Everything else is hypocrisy and self serving. Communication is still up, so listen to the prophet and apostles. I am a non conformist and I fight everything, but I believe in these designated individuals. I have had to many strange things happen to believe otherwise. These other accounts maybe interesting, but I will throw them out the window just as fast as I will listen to them or read them. It has no substance.

I would als agree that we as a people have never been more spiritually weak. I think that God is pouring out his spirt more than he ever has. He has promised us this in the last days. And we are some of the strongest, or the strongest ever sent. There is hope.

That is just my take on it. I think it is right!

Reconcile Edited: Quasar on 24th Sep, 2008 - 3:23am

24th Sep, 2008 - 4:31am / Post ID: #

Mormon Dreams And Visions Studies Doctrine Mormon

Many of these experiences occur in the temple and are very sacred and not something to be shared casually. There are other experiences, such as dreams and visions, that are unique to the individual. As Quasar said, they are not for the general population of the Church. Only the prophet receives that kind of revelation. The revelation we receive for our stewardships is usually not something you would commonly repeat to those whom it does not pertain to.
I have had friends and relatives confide some sacred experiences to me. I have had experiences of my own. They are very sacred and not to be shared casually. The veil can be VERY thin at times.

LDS_Forever asked:

Why is it that we don't hear about dreams and visions like in the early days of the Church? Brothers and sisters used to share this all the time.

During the early years of the Church the heavens were opened and the saints experienced some "marvelous works and wonders." They had less distraction and life was much simpler. These experiences were very new as the heavens had been closed for centuries. The saints wrote and talked about these experiences because they were so filled with awe and amazement. As they grew in the Gospel they learned to hold these experiences sacred and not to speak of them so casually. I am sure the degree of persecution they suffered had a little something to do with it.

We can still have these experiences today but there is so much interference in our lives that we are not always in such a spiritual place. Our technology has progressed so greatly that things do not cause us to become awestruck so easily. We have to work continually on our spirituality. The more spiritual we become the more spiritual experiences we will have. The are going on all around us but our spiritual eyes have to be opened and we need to learn to shut out the temporal world.

24th Sep, 2008 - 6:45am / Post ID: #

Visions Dreams Mormon

When was the last time you heard a person sharing an experience of this kind? Let's say when was the last time you heard someone saying they had a vision of the Celestial Kingdom or a visit from the other side of the veil.

Actually, I think it still happens a lot--the church has grown so much as Alskann mentioned, back then it was so new and unknown, I think they talked about it more openly. They didn't really have a sacred temple to talk about things like we do now.

I think that within families and strong spiritual friendship bonds things are shared often. They can be written in journals or shared in the living room.

The Bible Dictionary (under the listing TEMPLE) says:
A temple is literally a house of the Lord, a holy sanctuary in which sacred ceremonies and ordinances of the gospel are performed by and for the living and also in behalf of the dead. A place where the Lord may come, it is the most holy of any place of worship on the earth. Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness.

The one book I read and happened to feel the spirit (through a lot of it) and was published was written by Lance Richardson and titled The Message.

This book really touched my life. He does not really mention being LDS but some of the terminology such as "bishop" let you know he is. He did though testify of life beyond the veil.

There are designated prophets that receive revelation for us and the world at large. These are special individuals. The gift of being a seer is the least common and the most difficult. Most of us have a hard time receiving our own revelation, much less for a large group. So it is sacred to ourselves when we receive revelation.

I agree with Quasar in that there is ONE man that is given revelation for the entire church. I cannot even fathom the spiritual experiences he must have. I do believe though that we are able to receive revelation as mentioned, and it really is simple but not easy, and that is to obey one prompting at a time. If heeded we will experience our own blessings to share in sacred places with our loved ones.

In my opinion..

24th Nov, 2012 - 1:49am / Post ID: #

Visions Dreams Mormon

I feel if individual dreams or visions were meant to be shared with everyone then they wouldn't be just for you but many people would receive it unless its a warning that you're meant to pass on to someone who doesn't have dreams or visions.

Post Date: 14th Jan, 2013 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Name: Michael

Title: Spiritual experience

Comments: The Savior told us not to cast our pearls before swine. He did not say that everyone is swine. It requires discretion and perhaps the promptings of the Spirit to let us know when to share these pearls and when not to do so.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Note, the Guest facility is not meant for constant Posting, if you wish to contribute to many of the Topics please consider creating an account to do so at your leisure.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Mormon Dreams And Visions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,