Mormon Discernment

Mormon Discernment - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Oct, 2008 - 1:23am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
29th Sep, 2008 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Discernment

Discernment

I think this is one of the BEST gifts you can have because it goes in line with being receptive to Truth. Yet, I have found that most people in today's society are not interested in it. I would dare say that more so in the Church people are too trusting in the nice smiles, colorful words and for the lack of better words 'big talk' that Members tend to use to put themselves as a light. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
30th Sep, 2008 - 7:32am / Post ID: #

Discernment Mormon

I agree with that statement. I feel it is a very important and valuable gift. I don't know how freely it is given but I know I have some portion of it. I also wonder if some of those members you are talking about are not using the gift and therefore lose it or are not in tune to feel it.

I am thankful for what I do have because I love people. I would be one of those members who fell for the smiles and big talk BUT I pray for guidance and discernment for my spiritual welfare and that of my families.

One of the things I find interesting though is, people will often ask me why I will give someone something such as food or whatever. I tell them because the Lord has asked me too. They say, "Can't you see they are just using you?" In their mind I feel they think I do not have discernment, when I see it just the opposite. I know the Lord will tell me if I should not give to someone. Just because we think they don't need it doesn't have to do with what God has commanded us, in my opinion. We should trust that with those commandments, if we ask, He will let us know what and what not to do. I think too many people just do not ask.

It is also most useful when reading and learning about spiritual things. There are many good things and ideas taught in the world by people that are not LDS. I think the key to learning is discernment and the Spirit guiding you.

1st Oct, 2008 - 6:12am / Post ID: #

Mormon Discernment Studies Doctrine Mormon

I would love to develop the gift of discernment. I think the closer we grow to the Savior the more we will have it.

JB wrote:

in the Church people are too trusting in the nice smiles, colorful words and for the lack of better words 'big talk' that Members tend to use to put themselves as a light.

I think a lot of this is done out of naivete or pride. Two polar opposites. But sometimes people recognize that something is not right or someone is trying to scam but they smile and push forward because they are doing what the Lord wants them to do. Kind of like AlaskanLDS explained. I know sometimes I will just smile and zip my lip rather than offend someone.

I don't know all that is going on in the lives of others and so all I can do is trust in the Lord. If I am spending all my time moaning and complaining about what everyone else is doing wrong how could I possible hear the Spirit when he whispers in my ear?

1st Oct, 2008 - 7:53am / Post ID: #

Discernment Mormon

It kind of reminds me of the mote and the beam scripture. If we are too busy discerning others tiny little specks of problems we forget we have a huge beams worth to handle of our own. Discernment can be used in this way as well as learning.

2nd Oct, 2008 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

Discernment Mormon

Discernment also is about recognizing the signs placed in front of us as warnings. It is not just about 'judging' people, or looking for the wrong, that is one small part of it. A basic example of this... you enter a room with contents, and you may just see that... a room with contents, but let a detective enter and he sees a room with a story. We are told by the Lord to be able to read these stories... look for the signs. We must be sharp, just as snakes - observant and quick, not over indulgent in routine or complacency not naive, not pushovers.

25th Oct, 2008 - 12:35pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Discernment

In these last days, this gift is incredibly important for us. Most people fall victims of unscrupulous people because they "judge" others based on appearance, money, social status, the way they talk or professions. In the Church is callings (the "higher" the more righteous) or how much they smile. Then we hear the lamentations after wards "But he was such a nice sister, always smiling!" or "But he was the Bishop! The son of such an such".

I believe in "signs" and good people bring forth good fruit. Most of the time, if we are really paying attention (observant) we will see the "signs" of those who do no not mean well (and bring forth bad fruit) In my experience, they ALWAYS give signs. If we are wise, if we are sharp and quick as it was mentioned, then we will see these things for ourselves. If we are not, we will just see what the person/s are trying to show us but not their *true* purpose.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Oct, 2008 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Mormon Discernment

I agree, JB, that there are many folks who do not seem to have any sense of discerning "good and evil" around them, the wolves in sheep's clothing who prey on the good. It's really sad to see it sometimes, but I've also learned that no matter how much you try to help -- if they can't see it for themselves, it doesn't make a difference what you say. In the scriptures over and over you see "he that has eyes to see" and "ears to hear" will not be fooled.

This gift is one of the best, in my opinion (but I won't go refusing any of the gifts! ). I know I don't have it all the time, for one reason or another, but usually because I'm not in tune with the Spirit. When people approach me on the street or in a parking lot asking for money, I usually - almost always - feel the influence of the Spirit and *give*. There have been few times I've refused, simply because I didn't feel the confirmation of the Spirit. If I'm nearly in tears before I can get my wallet out, I know I'm doing the right thing.

During discussions or even during church meetings or lessons, listening to some new-age Christian radio station, or whatever, I have often felt the Spirit in both ways: I've felt the strong impressions of right AND wrong being stated at different times. (I've shouted at my radio on many occasions with the crazy things those people say sometimes! ) The Spirit witnesses "the truth of all things" and I believe it also witnesses UNtruth.

I think that we will need this gift more and more as the world spirals downward faster and faster. My Patriarchal Blessing states that I need to be "on guard every day" of my life to protect against "the destroyer." I read this words with more and more soberness as time goes by and we seem to be descending into a very bad time in history.

So, I should work on being more in tune!

26th Oct, 2008 - 1:23am / Post ID: #

Mormon Discernment Mormon Doctrine Studies

FarSeer, the interesting thing is that whereas a lot of us are influenced by the sin media or the culture sin you live in a state where the law is trying to have you believe in the normalcy of sin or essentially 'force' you to sin. I often remember the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. It was so hard to find just a few who knew to do the right thing. The world has become a place focused on the peer syndrome. People are unable to stand up on their own for what is right, even when they know it is right. It is always about what others will think first or if others will support me first - that decides if it is right or wrong. I guess now we can add to this subject... Discernment is the ability to recognize things as they are, however Wisdom is the ability to act on what we now know. One can have the ability but not act on it. Sometimes you will hear a person say, "You know, I did feel such and such, but..." and then you wonder why they did not act on the Truth. One has to wonder how many of those lack of Wise choices will negate the gift.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormon Discernment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,