Mormon Discernment - Page 3 of 3

I live in Orem, Utah, and I can't - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Jan, 2013 - 2:07am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
19th Jan, 2013 - 12:57pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Discernment - Page 3

international QUOTE
It assumes that Mormons believe that all Bishops are always inspired, and that is not the case.

I don't know where you live but where I do, members of the Church think bishops are always inspired. As a matter of fact, we are taught from the podium in GC that our leaders are inspired by God. Never heard a single statement stating "Some" are inspired "Sometimes".

international QUOTE
. That's why the Prophet Joseph Smith said that a prophet is not always a prophet--because even prophets are not always inspired.

I think that's a fallacy. The Prophet Joseph Smith said a prophet is only a prophet as long as he acts in that capacity which is different to the reasoning you're trying to attribute.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 22nd Jan, 2013 - 2:07am / Post ID: #

Mormon Discernment
A Friend

Discernment Mormon

I live in Orem, Utah, and I can't even remember ever hearing anyone claim that all bishops are always inspired.

Allow me to give you the exact quote:

international QUOTE
Wednesday, Feb. 8 -- This morning I read German and visited with a brother and sister from Michigan, who thought that "A prophet is always a prophet;" but I told them that a prophet was a prophet only when he was acting as such." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 278)

When is a prophet "Acting as such"? In order to answer that question, let's first ask, what is a prophet? If you look up the word, prophet, in the dictionary, you find that it comes from the Greek word, prophetes, which means, "Inspired speaker." Thus, a prophet is someone who speaks for God under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. Thus, to say that a prophet is only a prophet when he is acing as a prophet, is to say that an inspired speaker is only an inspired speaker when he actually is an inspired speaker. This agrees with what the Lord said in the Doctrine and Covenants:

international QUOTE
And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation. (D&C 68:4)

Please note that it does not say that what they speak shall be scripture when they are speaking in conference or "Acting in their office." It says whatever they speak under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost is scripture. So, how do we know when they are speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost? That puts the onus on us. We must be close enough to the spirit of the Lord to be able to tell when they are speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and when a prophet is acting as a prophet.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormon Discernment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,