2 Sets Of 12 Apostles? - Page 2 of 3

There was absolutely not conflict in having - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Oct, 2008 - 8:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
1st Oct, 2008 - 5:48am / Post ID: #

2 Sets Of 12 Apostles? - Page 2

If you add the First Presidency with the Twelve how many do you get total as special Witnesses currently on the earth?

Sponsored Links:
1st Oct, 2008 - 6:17am / Post ID: #

Apostles Sets

Fifteen. But then we could also include John the Beloved, the Three Nephites and probably others. So why not two sets of 12 back then - or more?

1st Oct, 2008 - 7:13am / Post ID: #

2 Sets Of 12 Apostles? Studies Doctrine Mormon

If you add the First Presidency with the Twelve how many do you get total as special Witnesses currently on the earth

That is 15 but I don't think that is the total on the earth. I remembered once someone telling me that a "Special Witness" was not only an apostle. I looked it up in the dictionary and didn't find anything so I went to Mormon Doctrine, under "Special Witness" it leads you to "Apostles." The first section tells about how

"every elder in the church should be an apostle; that is, as a minister of the Lord and the recipient of personal revelation from the Holy Ghost, every elder has the call to bear witness of the truth on all proper occasions.  Indeed, every member of the Church should have apostolic insight and revelation and us under obligation to raise the warning voice.  (D. & C. 88:81; Mosiah 18:9)

I read further and found this and it seems as if there were two sets at the same time according to Joseph Smith.

Page 47:
The Twelve Disciples among the Nephites ministered in an ordained apostolic capacity.  (3 Nephi 18;19;27;28.)  In writing about the Book of Mormon, the Prophet said that it "tells us that our Savior made his appearance upon this continent after his resurrection; that he planted the gospel here in all its fullness and richness, and power, and blessing; that they had apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, and evangelists; the same order, the same priesthood, the same ordinances, gifts, powers, and blessings as were enjoyed on the eastern continent."  (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 538.)

1st Oct, 2008 - 7:21am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Apostles Sets

That is the way I interpret it. When reading in 3 Nephi it speks of the 12 the Savior called to minister to the people. So far I have not seen anything to convince me it was otherwise.

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2008 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

2 Sets Of 12 Apostles?
A Friend

Apostles Sets

I agree with AlaskanLDS and alskann--it seems that 12 apostles were definitely called on the American continent by the Savior. The only question is the 'why.' I suppose the answer may be simply that the Savior organizes and directs His church how he sees fit. And if then it was prudent to call 2 sets of 12 (or more), then perhaps He did. As JB noted, there is some precedence for having multiple prophets simultaneously on the earth. And perhaps the modern-day analogy is the Quorums of 70 continuously growing as the church continues its growth.

4th Oct, 2008 - 4:22pm / Post ID: #

2 Sets Of 12 Apostles?

The Quorum of the Seventy has more than seventy people in it, in the past there has been people that were counselors to the Prophet that could have been called one of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and like it has said before in the Bible there has, at times, more than one Prophet at a time, but if you remember, last Conference we sustained all the Twelve Apostles as "Prophets, Seers, and Revelators".

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Oct, 2008 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

2 Sets 12 Apostles - Page 2

QUOTE (SeekingTruth @ 1-Oct 08, 11:59 AM)
it seems that 12 apostles were definitely called on the American continent by the Savior.  The only question is the 'why.'  I suppose the answer may be simply that the Savior organizes and directs His church how he sees fit.

It is a simple answer. The Lord will call whomever and how ever many He needs to get the work done. It is, afterall, His Church.

Reconcile Edited: alskann on 4th Oct, 2008 - 4:37pm

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2008 - 8:04am / Post ID: #

2 Sets Of 12 Apostles?
A Friend

2 Sets 12 Apostles Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

There was absolutely not conflict in having two sets (or more if needed) of apostles during the first century A.D. How on earth could the Nephite disciples have received counsel and instruction from the prophet in the Middle East?

Don't forget, the Nephites had had prophetic leadership from the moment Lehi left Jerusalem-Lehi. After Lehi, Nephi, the Jacob, and so on. Even during the time of the judges, when the "chief judge" governed the people, there always was a "high priest over the Church."

On some occasions, the two roles (one secular government, the other religious) were held by the same person. Alma, the son of Alma, is a good case-in-point. You'll remember that he left the judgement seat to reclaim the wavering saints of his day in the first part of the Book of Alma, and Nephihah took over as the secular leader at that point.

So, while the organization of twelve apostles, as the highest governing body of the Church, did not occur until the Savior was personally ministering on the earth, there always had been more than one prophet, or "head," as needed by each respective "church." (I.e. the church in Palestine and the Church in the Americas; and maybe even the Church established among the lost tribes, if there was such an organization)

The bottom line is, in no case was there ever more than one "head" for any given "church." The was one fold-Christ's-and one shepherd-Christ, and one "head" or mouthpiece for each respective "church" or body of saints.

Isn't the gospel awesome!

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: 2 Sets Of 12 Apostles?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,