Are Only Mormons Correct?

Are Mormons Correct - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Feb, 2009 - 4:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
21st Nov, 2008 - 12:35am / Post ID: #

In looking over a few things I have yet another question. Do Mormons believe that only they have the truth and are chosen by god similar to how the Jews see themselves?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Nov, 2008 - 5:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Correct Mormons Are

I thought Jesus was born as a Jew. I think christianity thinks that jews are a chosen people. I think the tribe is called Juduh. No, mormons don't consider themselves from this tribe, but consider the tribe a chosen people like most other christian faiths.

I didn't understand your question. Hopefully that is some kind of answer for you.

Do you believe that the jews are a chosen people?

21st Nov, 2008 - 6:09am / Post ID: #

Are Only Mormons Correct? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Mormons do not believe they are the only ones with the truth, just a more complete truth. The Bible is full of true and correct doctrine. We believe that in addition we have the Book of Mormon which acts as a companion to the Bible and expounds on those truths found within the Bible.

We believe in God's promise to Abraham that his posterity are the chosen people (the Jews).

24th Nov, 2008 - 5:36am / Post ID: #

Correct Mormons Are

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints consider all people to be Children of God, who will have equal access and Opportunity to have a relationship to a Loving God. We also hold that all people can be blessed by the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ and his Atoning blood, through which all men can return to live with God and all men will be resurrected again after death.

We also believe that when one chooses to follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he starts to desire to bring his will into submission to that of God. He wants to please God, he wants to do that which He desires of him.

God allows all men to enter into covenants with him where we promise to follow his will, and he promises to bless us with certain blessings. These covenants, we believe, are set up based upon eternal laws and principles and we can choose to live by and receive the blessing, or we can choose to ignore and be left to our own power (which is weak indeed).

We believe that the fullness of these covenants (Covenant of the Priesthood, Baptism by those who are in authority, The ordinance of Eternal Marriage etc.) can only be found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, being restored to the earth though prophets and apostles from previous dispensations. This does not say that truths cannot be found in other religions , but that the fullness of the Gospel has been brought back, or restored to us in this day.

If this claim, that the truth and authority of the Gospel has indeed been restored in this latter day, is true then it is one of the most important messages of our day. For those who hold that it is true, having received such by the power of the Holy Ghost, it can be a life changing experience. It allows us to dedicate our lives to the building up of the Kingdom of God, and to dedicate our live to serving our Father in Heaven. We still make mistakes, and we still do not, at times, live up to this calling, but we realize that through the atonement of Jesus Christ we can be all that he would have us be.

In the articles of Faith number 11

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Personally I have found the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to be the true Church of Jesus Christ, led by prophets as was done in ancient times. But that truth is what I have found for me and My Family. Each person must decide on his own, and should find out from God where and what he should dedicate his life too. It is too personal a decision to rely on the faith and testimony of another, and should be worked out with God and that individual.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 24th Nov, 2008 - 5:38am

Post Date: 6th Dec, 2008 - 8:51pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Correct Mormons Are

Hi revival,

The revelations to the Prophet Joseph clearly state that the church set up through the instrumentality of the Prophet Joseph is the only church authorized by God on the earth:

And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually-
--D&C 1:30

To be fair, however, one should also realize that the revelations to the Prophet Joseph bring out a plan of Salvation for ALL mankind-- the good and the bad-- that is far more compassionate than other Bible believers.

Read D&C 76

Richard

8th Dec, 2008 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

So all other churches are the "unauthorized" versions of your one true church?

Reconcile Edited: revival on 8th Dec, 2008 - 10:44pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Dec, 2008 - 1:18am / Post ID: #

Are Mormons Correct

Revival

So all other churches are the "unauthorized" versions of your one true church?

I do not see it like that,

It is my belief that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Lord's Church on Earth, with the power and authority to act in the name of God.

But I also view the truths found in different religions to be preparatory knowledge, that can allow individuals to learn and progress within the bounds of their own lives. I believe God prepares people to accept truth within their own circumstances, and uses all good religions to prepare for some greater truth that he is willing to give to all individually though his Holy Spirit.

Let me quote Joseph F Smith the nephew of Joseph Smith and 6th Prophet of the Church.

Christ taught the Gospel to Adam, and made known his truths to Abraham and the prophets. He was the inspirer of the ancient philosophers, Pagen or Israelite, as well as of the great characters of modern times. Columbus in discovery, Washington , in the Struggle for freedom, Lincoln, in the emancipation and union, Bacon, in philosopy: Franklin, in Statesmanship and diplomacy...Edison in electricity, and Joseph Smith in the theology and religion, found in Christ the source of their wisdom and the marvelous truths which they advocated.

Calvin, Luther, Melanchthon, and all the reformers were inspired in thoughts, words, and actions, to accomplish what they did for the amelioration, liberty, and advancement of the human race. They paved the way for a more perfect gospel of truth to come. Their inspiration, as with the ancients, came from the Father, his Son Jesus Christ , and the Holy Ghost, the one true living God...He (Jesus) not only inspired the ancients, from the beginning, but when he came to earth he reiterated eternal, origional truth, and added gloriousley to the revelations men had uttered. When he returned to the Father he still took and does take interest in his children and people, by revealing to them new truths, and by inspiring their actions:and, as men grow in the knowledge of God, they shall become more and more like him unto the perfect day, when his knowledge shall cover the earth as the waters cover the deep.

God gives knowledge to the Earth as quickly as we are able to abide that knowledge and takes away that knowledge when it is rejected. Christ has much more knowledge that cannot be revealed to his people(wether they be Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, Jew or Mormon) because of the weakness of the people to understand those truths and to live by these truths. He will reveal to us individually as well as collectively all things when we are ready to receive his truths and to live by his standards, rather then our own.

Post Date: 13th Feb, 2009 - 4:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Are Mormons Correct Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (dbackers @ 8-Dec 08, 8:18 PM)
But I also view the truths found in different religions to be preparatory knowledge, that can allow individuals to learn and progress within the bounds of their own lives. I believe God prepares people to accept truth within their own circumstances, and uses all good religions to prepare for some greater truth that he is willing to give to all individually though his Holy Spirit.

What is "preparatory knowledge"? Preparatory for what? Does that mean it is not mature knowledge. Like when some people tell white lies about where babies come from, but later tell the truth.

Is learning and progressing "within the bounds of their own lives" somehow independent of growing and progressing beyond that life. Is it different from growing and progressing with God?

Is Mormonism one of those "good religions", and if so (I presume it must be in your view), is it possible that some truth may be revealed that will alter the beliefs and structure of the Mormon Church, or elevate it, or bring it to join with another church already established? If not, why is Mormonism exempt from this effect?

You believe "God gives knowledge to the Earth as quickly as we are able to abide that knowledge and takes away that knowledge when it is rejected." What do you mean by "abide" knowledge? Is this an official teaching of the Mormon church, or is it your personal understanding?

How does God take away knowledge? I've helped people with Alzheimer's, but I wouldn't blame God for that, not directly anyway. I don't think God takes knowledge away. That would be as hard as taking emotions away. I don't think God is in the business of taking away love, or of taking away our memory.

Is there an official catechism of the church that has these things in it?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Are Only Mormons Correct?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,