Are Only Mormons Correct? - Page 2 of 2

I'm having a hard time stating that - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Jun, 2010 - 12:53am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
13th Feb, 2009 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Are Only Mormons Correct? - Page 2

What is "preparatory knowledge"? Preparatory for what? Does that mean it is not mature knowledge

No, it just means that all knowledge that we have now is "preparatory knowledge" for those greater things that can come to every man.

Even the knowledge that we gain in the Temple is "preparatory knowledge" for future light and knowledge we will receive when we receive exaltation.

So in no way stating that Person who has gained knowledge from another church is "preparatory knowledge" a condemnation of that particular person. In my quote from Joseph F Smith, we see that he acknowledges that God works through different religions to bring mankind closer to him. The LDS Church just believes that because of the covenants that are found in the Church and the access to Prophets and Apostles, that this is the Church of Jesus Christ on earth. A true church, is by definition, a church that claims that its head is Jesus Christ. These claims can be tested between man and God and is a very personal. The revelation that can come from God pertaining to his truths is not gained from man.

You believe "God gives knowledge to the Earth as quickly as we are able to abide that knowledge and takes away that knowledge when it is rejected." What do you mean by "abide" knowledge? Is this an official teaching of the Mormon church, or is it your personal understanding?

I believe this is official Church Doctrine.
From Doctrine and Covenants 132 5-6

5 For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted from before the foundation of the world.
  6 And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fulness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fulness thereof must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.

In the context of this discussion , man must "abide the law" saith the Lord or he shall be damned (Or stop in progression).

Rather off topic, but...

How does God take away knowledge?

This is a hard and uncomfortable truth that God does in fact take knowledge from us based on sin and us forgetting to acknowledge him. In the case of Dementia or other brain diseases; they do not apply to this discussion as they are a natural part of the decay of our human bodies and is not a result of the knowledge that God takes away from us .

D&C 1: 33, 35
  33 And he that repents not, from him shall be taken even the light (defined as knowledge) which he has received; for my Spirit (the vehicle by which knowledge is given) shall not always strive with man, saith the Lord of Hosts

D&C 110: 1, 13
  1 The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened.

This is proof of the fact that God is also the source of knowledge.

And one of the most Sobering scriptures in the Doctrine and Covenants in my opinion:

D&C 51: 10
  10 And let that which belongeth to this people not be taken and given unto that of another church.

I would not be surprised if God has blessed those of other churches because of their faith. We should not be so presumptuous to believe that God does not bless all of his children, regardless of religious belief.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Mar, 2009 - 6:32am / Post ID: #

Are Only Mormons Correct?
A Friend

Correct Mormons Are

revival, you have awesome questions.

This idea of the "true church" can get people riled up really fast. But it's a necessary question, in my mind. Who wants to be a part of a "false" church? And what is that, anyway? Aren't all churches "true"?

A little qualification of the phrase "true church" may be helpful. If I said, "A circle is round, a triangle has three sides, a square has five sides, and a hexagon has six sides," would you say that is a true statement?

Collectively it is not a true statement. It contains some truth, but not all of what it claims is true. Would a person do well to take the truth from that statement and discard the error? Absolutely. But no matter how we slice it, the statement, taken as a whole, is not true.

This is the light in which I believe all churches must be examined, at least for starters. It is also the basic message that the LDS church intends when it claims to be the "only true church." We are not saying, "We are right, and you are wrong." It is a statement asserting that each independent teaching of the LDS church is true, and therefore the composite is true.

When the Savior told Joseph Smith in the sacred grove that "they [the churches] were all wrong," I understand that to mean that the composite of their creeds, ordinances, and practices were wrong. (JSH 1:19) And if that is so, truly those creeds would be "an abomination in his sight." (ibid) How could it be otherwise? If Christ's church was built originally to be the means for mankind to secure personal salvation, and if the creeds introduced by the Christ at that time were corrupted over the centuries, how could the Savior possbly embrace them as his own?

I don't believe that he could, or that he had the remotest desire to do so. He well knew and taught that truth leads to freedom. (John 8:32) If so, then falsehoods could not lead to anything but bondage-and if those falsehoods are preached and practiced with knowledge that they are wrong (as must have been the case with many of the religious leaders in Joseph Smith's day, since Christ also declared the "professors [to be] all corrupt" (JSH 1:19)), then the result would be ultimate bondage, or the foreiture of personal salvation. Teachings that lead to such an outcome couldn't be anything but abominable to One who had suffered so much to provide salvation for all.

So, back on subject, if the churches of Joseph Smith's day (and our day) were wrong, in that the composite of their creeds were not true, then those churches cannot be said to be true. Nothing more. The statement carries no implication that the church does not teach a degree of truth (perhaps even a high degree), nor that it is of no use to its members, nor that its members are somehow lesser people by believing its doctrines.

There are at least two other levels that contribute to a church's being "true" or not, aside from the doctrinal aspect. But what is here is probably too much already (sorry, long-winded) so if anyone is interested, a new thread could be started.

Anyway, if a member of the LDS church says that the Church is true, he or she isn't trying to offend or devalue the other individual's church. And if a member does intend to offend, in the spirit of argument or arrogance, that is a terrible shame and that person is doing no one any good.

2nd Dec, 2009 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

Are Only Mormons Correct? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Since there is probably some truth is most religions, perhaps it is better to ask which church is authorized by God.

When I do that, I make the assumption that God is not a liar or a respecter of persons. Therefore, there can only be one God-authorized religion/philosophy or none at all.

The reason for that is simple. If God authorizes a religion that teaches something about His nature, or what is sin, or what is required for salvation, etc., but then authorizes another religion that teaches differently about any one or more of these things, then God is a liar and/or a respecter of persons.

Why would God tell someone that He has a physical body and then tell someone else He does not? Why would God tell someone that homosexual acts are sin and someone else that they are not? If He did, then He would be lying or requiring something different of someone else.

Of course I believe that the LDS Church is the only God-authorized Church on the face of the earth and that no other church or philosophy can lead one to eternal life or full enlightenment.

10th Jun, 2010 - 12:53am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Correct Mormons Are

I'm having a hard time stating that the Mormons are the only ones correct. I believe there is truth in all religions and I'm not totally convinced that we have ALL truth as proclaimed to be.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Are Only Mormons Correct?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,