God A Man

God Man - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Nov, 2008 - 6:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 20th Mar, 2006 - 1:29pm / Post ID: #

God A Man
A Friend

God A Man

I have always been an astute study of all sides of religions and came across this quote on a site describing various parts different religions including LDS.

- "God the Father", for the Mormons, was once a man, but became God. He has a physical body, as does his wife, Heavenly Mother.

So my question is, as usual, multi-fold.

1. Did God the Father use to be a man that became God?

2. How does one know he has a physical body?

3. If he used to be man, then who created him?

4. Whats the deal with Heavenly Mother, I have never heard of her before now.

I understand that number three is completely dependant on the answers from questions one and two. Feel free to be as general or specific as possible, its not hard for me to pick up on the general point you are trying to make.

Sponsored Links:
21st Mar, 2006 - 6:46am / Post ID: #

Man God

1. Yes, it's true, we do believe that God has a physical body of flesh and bone, just as Jesus Christ does, and for the same reason: He (God) is a resurrected, glorified man, just as Jesus is a resurrected, glorified man. We humans are made in His image, as the scriptures reveal over and over. We will one day be resurrected, as well.

2. All of these are partial scriptures, and just a sampling of the hundreds of references:
Gen. 1: 27 God created man in his own image.
Gen. 5: 1 God created man, in the likeness of God made he him.
Gen. 32: 30 I have seen God face to face.
Ex. 31: 18 (Deut. 9: 10) written with the finger of God.
Ex. 33: 11 Lord spake unto Moses face to face.
Luke 24: 39 for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
John 14:9 he that hath seen me hath seen the Father (Christ speaking)
Phil 3:14 shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body
Heb. 1: 3 the express image of his person.
1 Jn. 3: 2 when he shall appear, we shall be like him.
Rev. 22: 4 they shall see his face.

3. I don't have the answer to this one, but I'll see what I can find out. Or perhaps Nighthawk or JB can jump in here...?

4. Heavenly Mother! Does it not make sense that if we have a Heavenly Father, we should also have a Mother there? If we are all children of God, should we not have male and female parents? Should not our earthly families emulate our Heavenly family? If we are all made in the image of God the father, should there not be an image of our Mother as well? I don't believe there are any scriptures in relation to this, at least not in the Bible. However, I've seen reference in the Nag Hammadi and other sources.

21st Mar, 2006 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

God A Man Studies Doctrine Mormon

I will jump in on #3.

I don't believe that we are "created" in the sense that you seem to mean. We are born, children of our Heavenly Father. He is literally the Father of our spirits. By looking backwards with the limited knowledge that we have, I understand that Heavenly Father (El, El-Shaddai, Adonai) was born at some time, on some world.

We really don't know much about it, other than the fact that He has a physical body. In order to learn more, we each have to receive that knowledge through revelation from Him. And the people who have this knowledge aren't going to be going around telling it to everyone else, either. This is one of the Mysteries that are reserved for those who are prepared, and willing to do whatever He requires.

23rd Jun, 2008 - 4:18am / Post ID: #

Man God

4. Heavenly Mother! Does it not make sense that if we have a Heavenly Father, we should also have a Mother there? If we are all children of God, should we not have male and female parents? Should not our earthly families emulate our Heavenly family? If we are all made in the image of God the father, should there not be an image of our Mother as well? I don't believe there are any scriptures in relation to this, at least not in the Bible. However, I've seen reference in the Nag Hammadi and other sources.

That we have a Heavenly Mother is LDS doctrine. I like to reference Genesis 5:1-3 for this. While the LDS Church does not seem to use this verse set for such a purpose, I see in it the fact that the image of God is a married couple.

29th Jun, 2008 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Man God

Christianity declares that Jesus Christ was a resurrected man with a body of flesh and bones

Luke 24: 39
  39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Unless we believe that Christ discarded his resurrected body then he still has such a body.

John 8:19
19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also

We also believe that the Son is similar to the Father and that he only does what he sees his Father do

John 5:19

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

So as Christ was a man and now is a God, we believe that God the Father was once a man on another Earth similar to ours and became a God and he also has a Father before him (this continues back forever). Christ can only do as his Father did if his Father had a similar experience as he did. And the Father could do nothing of himself except he had seen his Father do it.

We believe that Earths will continue to be created where individuals can take part in the Redemption of God and that God's creations are eternal (meaning ongoing and continuous). Thus we believe that the Universe was not just created for us, but that God has created worlds without end with individuals who are his spiritual sons and daughters facing similar experiences as us.

We Call god the Father not because he created us out of nothing but because we are literally his spirit children. He is literally our Parent and I believe we should not call him Father unless his is such.

4. Whats the deal with Heavenly Mother, I have never heard of her before now.

The reason we do not generally discuss a Heavenly Mother often and why she is not found in the Bible, is because of God's desire to keep her Sacred. He knows the way people treat his name through cursing and their general disregard for him, and he does not want her to face the ridicule and disrespect that he faces everyday.

18th Nov, 2008 - 4:08am / Post ID: #

God A Man

This belief leaves open the major question: When god was man who was god over god? It seems confusing and sounds more like the Hindu belief system of multiple gods.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Nov, 2008 - 6:29am / Post ID: #

God Man

I find it more hard to believe that this earth was the first, In all of the eternities and that God would not have created other worlds.

I believe that God the Father has created other Earths, ours is not the first and will not be the last. To my mind it is more logical to assume that the trillions of light years of stars and planets were created for the purpose of many and that our Earth is not unique.

This is just my belief, but I think when Jesus said that he did what he saw his Father do in the Bible he was talking about God the Father.

John 5:19

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise

What could God the Father have done that Jesus says "I only do that which I have seen my Father do" and where was this done? Christ was a man on this Earth but he was a God and had a Father. That is a long held Christian Belief. Why is it unimaginable that God also has a Father?

18th Nov, 2008 - 6:55pm / Post ID: #

God Man Mormon Doctrine Studies

Well I'm not a disbeliever that God has many worlds and many creations, but that does not answer who is his God according to Mormon belief.

John 5:19 could be in referrence to the things he was taught by God. There is a lot of Jesus' life unaccounted for in the Bible.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: God A Man

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,