Poll: For Christmas 2008 I am...
  Will not spend a cent       18.18%
  Not able to spend anything much       0.00%
  Working on a very strict budget       45.45%
  Going to spend the usual amount       36.36%
  Will probably spend a little more       0.00%
  I plan to spend a lot       0.00%
Total Votes: 11
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Post Date: 29th Nov, 2008 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Christmas 2008
A Friend

Christmas 2008

With everything from inflation, the credit crises, home crisis and people losing their jobs this maybe a Christmas that many will remember for years to come.

I was wondering what if anything different are people around the world doing for Christmas this year.

For me I am not getting a lot of gifts for my kids. They have been told that they are not getting much this year due to what is going on in the world. We will provide a nice christmas for them like always but as they get older I think they understand it a little more. I am hoping to take a couple of them to a homeless shelter to hand out some extra blankets we have.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Dec, 2008 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

Christmas

We cut back each year they get older and we have always put limits to such spending. Our Christmas budget is typically 500 for all presents and traveling expenses.

It is food and good visits we focus on. Presents usually are around the 300 mark for everyone included grandparents and uncles and Aunts. Basically you have a job you do not get a present.

I admit we left our children to believe in Santa but that is one present and is the smallest item in the list. Not sure why we let that run but both of my boys are out of that stag now anyhow. Sure they make their mile long list every year but they know we will buy what we buy and most likely some is from the list. We shop all year for this so e hit great bargains.

Christmas is about god and Christ. I am going over the old testament method of repentance and the offering with my oldest building up to the idea of why Christ is so important in Christianity. That is our goal this year is to fully cement that whole concept in my oldest heart and water the seeds planted in my youngest head. One gift I would love to see my son get this year is the gift of eternal life as a man.

2nd Dec, 2008 - 10:50pm / Post ID: #

Christmas 2008 Christmas

Of course we are already on a tight budget and living in a Banana Republic where we are currently facing record inflation, and so Christmas will be treated as is with everything else: the necessary only. Regardless, we are also trying to teach our children that they do not need to have 100 toys to 'celebrate' Christmas. Christmas is supposed to be about giving service, helping people, not shopping and stuffing of the gut. I am completely immune to all the marketing hype that goes on, but for the people of my country they lap it up like a dog to vomit.

Post Date: 4th Dec, 2008 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Christmas 2008
A Friend

Christmas

Here in Canada, we're not feeling the economic crisis, unless you are one of the people being laid off.

My household still has me and my partner working, and my sister is renting a room at $200/mo

So money is good, but it's never really been in surplus, so I'm definitely sticking to the dollar store this year. Everyone seemed to like the dollar store gift exchange last year, so I'm sticking with it. I got some pretty cute stuff there last year. If I'm going to buy any large presents, it's going to be for my cousins, who are still young children, and for my soon-to-be 7-year-old brother. And by large presents, I mean modestly-priced toys and/or clothes.

My partner ALWAYS overspends on his parents, because he thinks they expect it, but I've spoken with them and they say they definitely do not want large presents, because they are aware of our financial situation. I know my partner's going to argue with me....as is the battle at this time of year, every year

5th Dec, 2008 - 10:04am / Post ID: #

Christmas

We're going to be spending about the same as last year, maybe slightly less as I have a couple of presents to give that I bought earlier in the year.
My youngest 2 still believe in Father Christmas, but we only give a small present from him, as I don't get all this that you have to have a full sack full of toys just from him alone...it's not what it's supposed to be about.
My husband has got a huge amount of family on his side, but because there are so many we buy just the children, and his Mum and Dad.
Either way, I'm doing no shopping on a Saturday in December...the shops just get hideously busy, and make me want to stay in the warmth at home.

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2008 - 2:47am / Post ID: #

Christmas 2008
A Friend

Christmas 2008

I am not only unemployed this Christmas I'd be homeless without the charity of a good friend and her son. Only my "children" are getting presents from me. My daughter who is 20 is getting a hand made coat I promised her 2 years ago. My son, 30, is getting a hand crocheted sweater-vest. My adopted daughter Adell, 21 is getting a hand made apron with her name embroidered on it and Adell's significant other, Joshua, 32, is also getting an embroidered apron.

It has been a truism in my household that the gifts of the heart, hand made, no matter what the level of expertise in the making, are the most memorable.

The only sadness in my winter holiday is that I may have to say goodbye to my very best friend in all the world ... my cat "Moonbeam Cocao" or "Mooney". As I am homeless but for the grace of Rose, and she is deathly allergic, I can't have "Mooney" with me and may have to release her to a no kill shelter. It is breaking my heart but we've searched for 5 weeks to find someone who will shelter her for me and let me have her back when I have a home of my own.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Christmas 2008

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,