Mormons: Open Or Closed Minded

Mormons Open Closed Minded - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Dec, 2008 - 11:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 10th Jul, 2006 - 12:34pm / Post ID: #

Open or Closed Minded

Are Mormons generally Open or Closed Minded about other people's views?

Sponsored Links:
10th Jul, 2006 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

Minded Closed Open Mormons

The question asked is way too general. As with any group of people, some Mormons are very open minded, and some are very closed minded, with the majority being somewhere in between the two extremes.

At the same time, due to our beliefs, I would say that there are certain areas where we tend to be more open or closed minded. An example would be the recent controversies about the proposed amendment to the US Constitution defining marriage. Most, perhaps the vast majority, of Mormons supported the proposed amendment. No argument was possible to sway them.

An example of open-mindedness (in general) would be a willingness to discuss religious beliefs with anyone, and look for similarities and corollaries between religious beliefs.

As I said at the beginning, the question is too general. There is no real answer to the question.

10th Jul, 2006 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Mormons: Open Or Closed Minded Studies Doctrine Mormon

I agree that to anyone who is open minded, this is an impossible question to answer. Its answer depends entirely on the limited experience of the person answering the question. For example, if I have known three people of a certain faith and all three have been close minded, I would say that members of that faith were close minded. But three people could not possibly speak for all persons of that faith. I will say that people in general are often more close minded about certain issues or beliefs they have, myself included. I don't feel this is all bad, as long as we respect and acknowledge the differing views of others.

10th Jul, 2006 - 7:43pm / Post ID: #

It depends on the individual. My personal experience is that the people I deal with are pretty closed minded about certain doctrines that are not ready to accept (example: Plural Marriage). But again, the question is too general and this is only my personal experience with some members.

Post Date: 2nd Jan, 2007 - 4:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

In my 30 years as a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I have seen many more open minded people than closed. In the church we are repeatedly told to "search" out the truth, to seek for the answers for ourselves and not depend on what we are told. The doctrine must be believed by our intelligence and our heart or spirit.

Study and the seeking of individual wisdom and knowledge are fundamental to the church. Open discussions are more the norm in LDS Sunday Schools than a class where you sit and listen to a one sided topic from the teacher. The one conducting or teaching the class is most often a mediator taking questions and bouncing answers back from the members in the class room.

The church has a wealth of written materials to search, and they do not discourage a member searching into non-LDS material in their quest for an answer. I have always felt that in encouraging members to seek their own answers, they are in fact teaching us to be open minded. Truth is eternal and if you look hard enough you will find the answer if your search is sincere.

2nd Jan, 2007 - 9:16am / Post ID: #

I don't think that you can generalize, as a whole about the whole people in one religion, but one thing that springs to my mind, was over the summer my eldest Son was part of a beach mission team over here in the UK, representing the Baptist church.
One particular evening, he was handing out tracts and having discussions with people about God.

He approached an elderly couple who took the tract off him, and listened intently to what he had to say, until he had finished.
At the end, they told him that they were Latter Day Saints, and asked him that as they had been polite, listened to what he had to say, and took his tract.. would he pay the same courtesy to them and do the same from them?
Which he did, and they met a couple of evenings later, and had a really 'in-depth spiritual discussion'

Now, whilst my Son hasn't changed his views on religion and probably neither have the Latter Day Saints, I think that this is a good case of open mindedness on the LDS members behalf, and it is occasions like this that help break down barriers between different beliefs and religions!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Jul, 2007 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Open Closed Minded

I Believe Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are Generally very open to listening and discussing varying views on religion. They are truth seekers.

Brigham Young the second Prophet of the church said.

Don't try to tear down other people's religion about their ears, Build up your own perfect structure of truth, and invite your listeners to enter in and enjoy it's glories."

and

"A good man, is a good man, whether in this church, or out of it."

Joseph Smtih the first Prophet of the Church said

One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may.

As a member I will take council from any good person as it will enrich my own life, regardless of his or her faith.

16th Dec, 2008 - 11:55am / Post ID: #

Mormons Open Closed Minded Mormon Doctrine Studies

All the members I know are open minded, but it can depend on what you mean. We believe in the Ten Commandments, and we follow the "Word of Wisdom", which is we don't drink coffee, tea, use tobacco, or drink alcohol.
We also have a basic list of beliefs called the "Articles of Faith", the 11th article says:
"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, an allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."
The 13th article says:
"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."
To sum up those two articles, as members of the Church, we believe everyone has the right to worship how they want, we also should talk to them and see what their beliefs are and incorporate what good things we see, and bring them home, and share them with our friends.

> TOPIC: Mormons: Open Or Closed Minded

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,