Ford Gran Torino 1972 - Page 2 of 2

Yes the older cars that many called the muscle - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 13th Jan, 2009 - 6:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
6th Jan, 2009 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

Ford Gran Torino 1972 - Page 2

You bet that was the reason for it. Funny every one I know that had these cars they rotted as fast as an apple and were hard as heck to start in the cold. I did some digging and found what you claim is a general thought is 180 to 220 000 miles of reliability. Could have the USA model been better? I know some of the Pontiacs from the states had different parts the the Canadian counter part.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Jan, 2009 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Ford Gran Torino 1972
A Friend

Torino Gran Ford

That is a possibility too. I know the gran torino I had was a very nice car and I never had a problem with it starting but the winters are a little warmer down here than you are. laugh.gif

13th Jan, 2009 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

Ford Gran Torino 1972 Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

What about the TV series "Dukes of Hazard", with the car they called, "General Lee", wasn't that a Ford Garn Torino too?

Post Date: 13th Jan, 2009 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Ford Gran Torino 1972
A Friend

Page 2 Torino Gran Ford

No I believe that was a Dodge Charger. The General Lee was a dodge that much I know.

13th Jan, 2009 - 5:49pm / Post ID: #

Torino Gran Ford

Ah, cars from that era look all the same to me: big gas guzzlers with a body that crush you if you stand too close. Maybe that is why collectors like the Ford Gran Torino so much.

13th Jan, 2009 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

Ford Gran Torino 1972

Actually JB you might be shock of a harsh truth in that image you portrayed. The General Lee was a charger and that show just about wiped out all the scrape yards on those frames.

The gas guzzlers yes where in the big blocks 400 cc and up but it was more on how they were drove. I had a 73 chev 350 4 barrel is was close to 35 mpg gallon if I drove sensible and was a fast car. My 6 cylinder Malibu could have toed it back wards with its slant 6 292 but had a very slow rear end making it a real work horse.

My 1974 Chrysler Newport custom with a 400 averaged around 25 mpg.

The number are not real high but remember the hp and weight of the lead sleds. Now compare that to a car with half the horse power and weight of today and they still only get 30 mpg. Not a huge difference to me. Just a smaller gas tank making me stop to fill up more often. In fact many of the bigger cars on the road today do not get a whole lot more then 25 mpg.

The cost of repairs on the front end of the new cars and the inability to take jumping over a few mid size snow drift make the new cars more expensive to keep on the road compared to some of the older ones.

I found as long as you stayed under the 350 gas was not a huge issue it is the big blocks that you over bore that really sucked the gas (8 to 12 mpg).

The old motors if you wanted could be doctored up to get even better mileage and little or no change to the HP some items actually increased it to better burn efficiencies.

I just ask please put grease fitting back on the cars please!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Jan, 2009 - 6:53pm / Post ID: #

Ford Gran Torino 1972
A Friend

Ford Gran Torino 1972 - Page 2

Yes the older cars that many called the muscle cars were a lot for show and many showed off in them. While they were big and mean looking they still got real decent gas mileage when compared to the cars of today. plus they could take a hit and keep going. My plymouth fury was averaging 26.7 MPG before it was totalled out. I am getting that kind of milage out of my 2004 dodge now.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Ford Gran Torino 1972

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,