Peppercorn Currency

Peppercorn Currency - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 23rd May, 2012 - 2:17am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

13th Jan, 2009 - 4:25am / Post ID: #

Peppercorn Currency

Peppercorn Currency

I just saw a tid bit displayed on the Food Network that said peppercorns were used as currency in the Middle Ages. Can anyone can verify that?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
14th Jan, 2009 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

Currency Peppercorn

Around 550 BC spices were being traded as money and were of high value. Pepper came from India then spread into China so it would have been a rare item and would have been of great value so using it as monies or trade makes complete sense and falls in line with many great adventures made to seek out spice sources from European countries.

In trading with India usually meant trading for spice. Ancient Greece and Rome looked for the spice to preserve meats I know. It is also used to fight fever so it would be a hot item one would use to bring outside goods to the growing areas.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2009 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

Peppercorn Currency
A Friend

Peppercorn Currency History & Civil Business Politics

I know that many people sought after spices. It was common knowledge that there were three spice routes in order to try and keep thieves from getting the spices. I am unsure if peppercorn was used as money but I am sure it bought some money.

23rd Mar, 2012 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Currency Peppercorn

So basically you were trading the value of importing a seasoning. I would of just used common foods and animals to barter and I know some guys would have probably even bartered their women.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

23rd May, 2012 - 2:17am / Post ID: #

Currency Peppercorn

Good thing I wasn't born in those days because it will be a hard thing to trade value for an object based on a few peppercorns.. Not even real food but peppercorns, crazy.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 71 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 7.1%

> TOPIC: Peppercorn Currency

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,