Sci-fi Trends & Original Concepts

Sci-fi Trends Original Concepts - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 11th Mar, 2009 - 5:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 13th Feb, 2009 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

It seems that after a certain amount of time, most of us become sensitive to certain trends, specifically in those areas that interest us the most, like Science Fiction Movies.

Hollywood just about has total dominance over this genre and so what we often see on the 'big screen' is the result of what they have observed as a common trend and they will milk it to the last drop. It seems like if a 'Tyrannosaurus Model' goes on sale, or something, then suddenly every producer is standing in line for any half decent script that will allow them to make some kind of dinosaur movie. It's quite sad.

We have seen trends with the 'Multi-verse' concept. I for one really love this theme and have incorporated it in my writings for a decade, and I was very excited when the scientific study of dark matter and dark energy had finally lead physicists to accept the idea that we may in fact live in what I like to refer to as an Omniverse, comprised of many smaller cosmos, sifting about one another like the colours of oil in water. This idea has of course been around since the ancient Celts, and probably beyond. H.P. Lovecraft was famed for his other worlds, as are many other authors, and so this is hardly an original concept. In reality the multi-verse idea should already be an accepted sci-fi belief like light speed travel. Think about it, would you go and watch a movie that was about hyper-space travel and nothing else? The same is happening with the multi-verse/mult-world idea and I need only mention one movie to illustrate this... Inkheart. One of its great failings (among others) is relying upon an over used concept.

Currently we have the movie 'Push', another idea taken off of a dusty shelf and cleaned up a bit and thrown to bored Sci-Fi fans. It's just another version, of Scanners, Akira, Firestarter, The Fury, Cyber six, that Jessica Alba series etc, etc, no doubt it won't be entertaining, I mean who doesn't love watching someone with telekinises ricochet bullets off their hand? The point is, there is very little originality that is making it to the 'big screen'.

Planet of the Apes was probably one of the most original ideas to hit the screen, there was nothing else like it before and it literally became its own genre. Not that apocalyptic movies had not preceded it, but the idea of using evolved apes to take over the planet was a brilliant. Then their was a Space Odyssey, then of course the Matrix. Now we see a new movie coming out called Watchmen. We already have just the right amount of 'super-hero' movies, but I hope Watchmen sparks the beginning of many more movies done in the same style.

So, what do any of you foresee in the future? What kind of movies do you see being remade or genres dominating for a season? Perhaps you might even have an original concept.... That would be scary.

I think we are going to see the return of some post-apocolyptic, mutant type movies coming back in the near future.

Sponsored Links:
11th Mar, 2009 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Concepts Original and Trends Sci-fi

I feel so out of touch with the movie industry after reading your post Tiphereth. With the dear race redo I thought maybe we might see more car racing movies but It never really hit so maybe the car love is gone for the big heavy lead sleds.

I have been expecting a new space movie involving man leaving earth before its finial demise. Perhaps the new Battle Star Galactic is still serving that purpose.

I think we will see some new children movies this summer revolving around old stories redone yet again.

I would live to see some descent medieval based movies take out again. Perhaps they will do Hercules or Jason adventures.

Seems the comic world still has then entranced.

A new concept that will be more difficult as you mentioned if I think of cool idea I will post it.

To be sadistic I will throw this out there, The utter collapse of the USA from an attack from Cuba back by radicals from many other countries. The world not rising to her defense and it being overwhelmed. Resulting in the fall of the UN nations because of it. Canada would be the staging ground for resistance including the refugee camp for Americans.

Reconcile Edited: krakyn on 11th Mar, 2009 - 3:40pm

Post Date: 11th Mar, 2009 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sci-fi Trends & Original Concepts Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I definitely believe that the Watchmen is truly adding to what movies like 'the Matrix' and '300' started. That seems to be the current trend, and they are in fact treading upon less traveled ground, although only because it has previously been controlled by comic books.

11th Mar, 2009 - 5:01pm / Post ID: #

Concepts Original and Trends Sci-fi

I am hoping to catch that movie actually. I see very few and mostly they are family flicks due to younger children.

I would like to see a new genre spring up but so much has already been done.

> TOPIC: Sci-fi Trends & Original Concepts

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,