Descended Below Them All - Page 2 of 2

I would like to know what exactly the phrase - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Jun, 2010 - 5:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
18th Jul, 2009 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

Descended Below Them All - Page 2

I don't understand what you meant by that. I mean I think I do but can you explain more so I can see if I understood it correct?

Yes I will explain more. I suppose I am looking at the suffering of Christ from a qualitative instead of a quantitative perspective. I do not dispute that he did suffer more (quantitative) then anyone, but the question I ask is how does that help me related to Him and Him to me? You can have more pain then I, but all I have to compare it to is my own pain. I can't really imagine anymore then what I have experienced. This would only be done through empathy. I think that my relationship with Christ is more then empathy. However saying that Christ suffered the very same pain as I says that he knows exactly how I feel because he felt the very same thing, in the very same way. He is not relating to me because he felt more then I but rather because He felt exactly what I felt. It is as if he is me, and for that moment of the cross and in the garden, he was me, taking on my experiences, pain, suffering and sin. This makes His atonement more then just empathy, meaning that because he felt more pain then me, he can relate rather he relates because he experienced my precise pain, feelings and struggles. That is what atonement is.

Sponsored Links:
25th Jul, 2009 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

All Them Descended

I think it was explained well to us in D&C that we can't undertand the pain he went through and I rather not.

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2009 - 9:59am / Post ID: #

Descended Below Them All
A Friend

Descended Below Them All Studies Doctrine Mormon

It is my belief that the Atonement is something so huge and so all-encompassing that we cannot even begin to fathom the amount of suffering that caused 'even God, the greatest of all to tremble because of pain...' Again it says in Doctrine and Covenants that 'he descended below all things' I personally dont think that that particular phrase would be in that book of scripture if it were not true. It is my belief that empathy should not be our final 'solution' (for lack of a better word) to trying to better understand the Atonement of Christ, but instead that it is only 'a part of it'. It says in the Book of Mormon (don't ask me where, I think it's Alma somewhere? Kind of too lazy to go look for it biggrin.gif ) that he suffered that he might know how to 'succor his people in their infirmities'. He paid a price aswell that is something that we can never begin to understand the greatness of. He redeemed us ALL from the effects of the Fall, in that death no longer holds sway over any of us born to Adam and Eve. The Atonement also makes it so that Christ is our Judge, and that He judges us on our works and faith, and that when it comes to presenting us back to our Father in Heaven, he does it on HIS MERITS and HIS SUFFERING, not our merits, nor our suffering. The Father having so much love for the Son that the suffering, death and ressurection of Jesus Christ is enough to make up for our own shortfalls. The Atonement, or CHRIST (Jesus of Nazareth and his Mission as the Messiah) is so HUGE and so POWERFUL that it is something that we learn something new about for the rest of our lives. Also, what amazes me most about Christ (Jesus and the Atonement) is that it is my own personal strength to get me through the daily trials of my life, and that He is there as that foundation, that wall against the wind, that fire in the cold and that shelter from the rain, and all this is through Him humbly submitting His will to the Father's. It is when we can see the Light through the darkness that we can truly understand and comprehend the Atonement of the Beloved Son of our Father in Heaven.

For me, I feel like I have gone through something similar as Alma the Younger, I was brought up in the Church, but turned away from it (though not to the extent as that wonderful Boof of Mormon Prophet), yet it was in my suffering, in my pains and anguish at being estranged from the Light that I have come to a profound, and greater understanding (personally) of Christ and the Atonement, in that it is EVERYTHING. For me it has taken it's rightful place at the forefront of all I hold dear, and am beginning to see how much value our Father in Heaven has placed upon Christ in seeing that it is represented throughout the entire Church, from Baptism and the Sacrament, to the Temple and the Garments, to the Sacrifices of Judaism to the Priesthood and the Anointing of Oil. It is my belief that when Christ (Jesus of Nazareth and the Atonement MERGED together) takes precedence over every other thing in our lives, it is then, and only then that Christ truly will 'wipe the tears from [our] eyes'.

Prophets throughout the ages, and even today refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Gospel.
And the Gospel means 'Good News'
And what greater news is there other than that Christ conquered, that we can live again, and that it is now possible to return with Him back to our, and His, Father in Heaven again.
Truly he did indeed DESCEND BELOW ALL THINGS.
Of this I have no doubt

Reconcile Edited: elsation on 21st Dec, 2009 - 10:23am

12th Jun, 2010 - 5:15pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 All Them Descended

I would like to know what exactly the phrase "he descended below all things" means? Are we talking about temporal challenges and spiritual ones as well?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Descended Below Them All

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,