Chimp Rampage Leads To 911 Call - Page 3 of 3

What ape attack victim teaches us HER face - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 11th Mar, 2015 - 1:28am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 

?
Poll: Can chimpanzees be good pets?
  Yes       0.00%
  Depends on owner       40.00%
  No       60.00%
Total Votes: 5
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 

Video
21st Mar, 2009 - 3:51pm / Post ID: #

Chimp Rampage Leads To 911 Call - Page 3

This is one of those cases that if people would have done their work, maybe the tragedy could have been avoided.

HARTFORD, Conn. -  A Connecticut biologist warned state officials nearly five months ago that a 200-pound chimpanzee that mauled a woman last month could seriously hurt someone if he felt threatened, according to a memo released to state lawmakers.

The biologist also said the chimp's owner violated state law, and ended her note with the prophetic warning: "I would like to express the urgency of addressing this issue. It is an accident waiting to happen."

Click here for photos.

The two-page document, made public on Friday, was written on Oct. 28, 2008 by an unnamed Department of Environmental Protection biologist and given to senior staff at the agency's Bureau of Natural Resources.

It was discovered in an ongoing internal agency review prompted by the mauling incident.

"The animal has reached adult maturity, is very large, and tremendously strong," the memo says. "I am concerned that if he feels threatened or if someone enters his territory, he could seriously hurt someone."

The biologist said it was unclear whether the chimp's enclosure was strong enough to secure the animal named Travis, owned by Sandra Herold of Stamford and kept at her home.

Neither Herold nor her attorney immediately returned telephone messages seeking comment Friday evening.

Charla Nash was critically injured Feb. 16 when she was attacked by the 200-pound chimp. Nash's attorneys say the 55-year-old woman lost her hands, nose, lips and eyelids and may be blind and suffering brain damage after the attack. She is being treated at the Cleveland Clinic.

Earlier this week, Nash's family filed a lawsuit against Herold accusing her of negligence. The suit seeks $50 million in damages.

Dennis Schain, a DEP spokesman, said officials reviewed the memo, but decided it did not present any new, specific information about any violent incidents involving the chimp.

The memo does, however, mention how the chimpanzee had escaped from Herold's car and led police on a chase for hours in downtown Stamford in 2003....

Sponsored Links:
14th May, 2009 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Call Leads Rampage Chimp

Well, it is reported the chimp was under an anti-anxiety medication....one prescribed for humans.

STAMFORD, Conn. -  A chimpanzee that mauled a Connecticut woman had the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in its system, according to toxicology tests, but investigators haven't determined whether the drug played a role in the attack, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Authorities are still weighing whether to file criminal charges against the chimpanzee's owner, Sandra Herold, said Stamford State's Attorney David Cohen.

The 200-pound chimp named Travis attacked Stamford resident Charla Nash on Feb. 16. She lost her hands, nose, lips and eyelids in the attack. Doctors at Ohio's Cleveland Clinic say she is blind and faces two years of surgical procedures.

Nash's family has sued Herold for $50 million. The suit alleges, among other things, that she had given Travis medication that further upset the animal.

"I think it provides tremendous support for the plaintiff's case," said Paul Slager, a catastrophic injury attorney in Stamford. "I think it's understood by everyone that Xanax is medication intended to be used by people, not animals."

He added: "I suspect that experts will agree it's difficult to predict how an animal like a chimpanzee would respond to taking a medication like Xanax."

Herold has made conflicting public statements about whether she gave Travis Xanax the day of the attack.

Herold's attorney, Robert Golger, declined to comment Wednesday, saying he hadn't seen the toxicology results, which were first reported by The Hour of Norwalk.

A telephone message left for an attorney for Nash's family wasn't immediately returned.

Herold's attorneys have said there was no way to predict Travis would attack Nash.

On the day of the attack, Herold called Nash to her home to help lure the animal back into her house.

Herold has speculated that the chimp was trying to protect her and attacked Nash because she had changed her hairstyle, was driving a different car and was holding a stuffed toy in front of her face to get Travis' attention....

Post Date: 14th May, 2009 - 2:04pm / Post ID: #

Chimp Rampage Leads To 911 Call
A Friend

Chimp Rampage Leads To 911 Call UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

If this is true then the owner of the chimp should be held responsible for the chimps behavior. I see the attacked woman winning a large settlement.

14th May, 2009 - 2:40pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Call Leads Rampage Chimp

Well, besides medical expenses (which we know how expensive are in the US) I don't know whether this lady (the victim) would ever be able to use the money. She is disfigured, blind and brain damaged. I guess all the money would go towards getting her all the help she needs, such a terrible situation.

31st Mar, 2010 - 2:28am / Post ID: #

Call Leads Rampage Chimp

I'm watching a NG documentary that featured this case. One thing to note is that after the Chimp was shot by the policeman the chimp ran into the woods and then secretly bypassed the police officers, returned to his home through the front door, went upstairs and died holding the hang rope in his own room.

31st Mar, 2010 - 2:54am / Post ID: #

Chimp Rampage Leads To 911 Call

She was on Oprah a few months ago. I am amazed that she actually lived. She has lost her hands, eyes and nose in the attack. She showed her face...

Source 2

The lady (Travis's owner) is guilty of gross negligance without a doubt. The government is in big trouble because there is documentation by a government employee stating that they thought it was a potential hazard. This lady will get her money, but it isnt going to mater too much...

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 31st Mar, 2010 - 2:55am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Apr, 2010 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Chimp Rampage Leads 911 Call - Page 3

The video shows her face and you have to wonder how this woman even has the will to go on living. Not just that she is blinded and disfigured but she lost her hands too. Every time I see someone caressing a chimp I cannot help but wonder about this case. In the documentary it was saying that it takes about US$50,000 to buy a chimp and US$15,000 a year to maintain it.

Post Date: 11th Mar, 2015 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Chimp Rampage Leads 911 Call Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 3

What ape attack victim teaches us

HER face was ripped off and horribly disfigured by a chimpanzee in 2009, and now Charla Nash is changing the world. Here's how. Ref. Source 2

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Chimp Rampage Leads To 911 Call

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,