Stay In Your Car For Tornado?

Stay Car Tornado - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 4th Mar, 2009 - 8:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2009 - 10:53pm / Post ID: #

If you're driving on flat terrain when you notice a tornado is coming straight towards you and you can't out drive it which is better to stay in your car or to get out of the car?

Sponsored Links:
19th Jan, 2009 - 1:59am / Post ID: #

Tornado Car Your Stay

There is no really good answer. People that live in tornado active regions have varying opinions on it. People have had success in avoiding tornados in cars, but some have also be caught by the tornado trying to outrun it.

I would say if there is a overpass available before the tornado can reach you, get under it. If there is no ditch on the side of the road, then I might turn back and try to outrun it. However, if there was a ditch on the side of the road, climb into the ditch and hug the ground.

Here is a bit of reading to help make up your mind...

Source 4

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

19th Jan, 2009 - 3:11am / Post ID: #

Stay In Your Car For Tornado? History & Civil Business Politics

If you're going to be taken up anywayyou may as well stay in the car so that when you are thrown a mile away or whatever at least the metal of the car acts like protection from impact.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

19th Jan, 2009 - 3:16am / Post ID: #

Tornado Car Your Stay

If you actually get swept up in your car, it will be more like your coffin as opposed to some sort of safety container (picture on the attached previous message shows that pretty well). I lived for 20 plus years right in the heart of the tornado belt and can see this either way. I would still go for shelter under a overpass if available. If there are no overpasses near by and there is a ditch on the side of the road, I would be in it and low to the ground. If not, turn the car around and floor it.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

19th Jan, 2009 - 5:18pm / Post ID: #

Tornado Car Your Stay

That's a scary situation to be in. Getting out of the car won't be my first thought I'd try to floor it in the opposite direction.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 23 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.3%

19th Jan, 2009 - 6:16pm / Post ID: #

My gut reaction is with you on that Clara but some how I am betting you are going to be hard pressed to out run it after turning about. I guess depends how close it is.

I would feel more comfortable looking for that bridge or storm cellar on a nearby house.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Jan, 2009 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Stay Your Car Tornado

If I am in a vehicle and a tornado was coming right for me I would say Cool and jump out of my car to get a nice video of it. But I would not get back in my car but rather get in a low area like a ditch and let it go safely over me.

Post Date: 4th Mar, 2009 - 8:24am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Stay Your Car Tornado Politics Business Civil & History

I would try to drive out of the area. People chase tornados, I'm pretty sure that if you keep a straight eye and watch your surroundings you can safely drive away from the area. Which brings us back to rule number one when driving...pay attention.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Stay In Your Car For Tornado?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,