Rename The Book Of Mormon - Page 4 of 8

OK, Good. So, now we are on the same page. - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Aug, 2009 - 11:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
3rd Aug, 2009 - 11:31pm / Post ID: #

Rename The Book Of Mormon - Page 4

Josh

Does it really matter so much what its called as much as what it is?

Our Father in Heaven places much importance on names. He holds his name and that of his son as Sacred, regardless of the Language that it is used in.

By extension I believe the Book of Mormon as named by God, was named so for a purpose, and should hold some significance, even to our modern day sensibilities.

We see in the Doctrine and Covenants that Jesus uses the term Book of Mormon to Label the ancient Record. There is no indication, in further scripture or from Prophetic word that the Lord wanted to call this Book by any other name.

D&C 1: 29
  29 And after having received the record of the Nephites, yea, even my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., might have power to translate through the mercy of God, by the power of God, the Book of Mormon.
D&C 20: 8
  8 And gave him power from on high, by the means which were before prepared, to translate the Book of Mormon;
D&C 84: 57
  57 And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written-

The Savior has not called this book by any other name, and to change it without his approval would seem trifling with the things of God.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Aug, 2009 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Book Rename

QUOTE (dbackers @ 3-Aug 09, 11:31 PM)
By extension I believe the Book of Mormon as named by God

dbackers do you have any scriptures or sources to back up this claim?

4th Aug, 2009 - 6:52pm / Post ID: #

Rename The Book Of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

dbackers do you have any scriptures or sources to back up this claim?

Please see the previous scriptures cited. If God had wanted to name the Book of Mormon by any other name, he would have done so.

D&C 1:29
D&C 20:8
D&C 84:57

4th Aug, 2009 - 9:21pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Mormon Book Rename

QUOTE (dbackers @ 4-Aug 09, 6:52 PM)
Please see the previous scriptures cited. If God had wanted to name the Book of Mormon by any other name, he would have done so.

But thats not what you said, you said the record was named by G-d...where is the proof? I checked the scriptures but none of them say that G-d was the one who chose to name the record the book of mormon you know what am I saying? yes, he would have changed it if he wanted BUT lets call a spade a spade right? and say there is no scripture that states what you and wes are saying (that G-d named the book). I aint trying to be difficult but to be straightforward when something is claimed that has no basis.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 4th Aug, 2009 - 9:24pm

4th Aug, 2009 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Book Rename

Well Suzie, yes it is true that there is not a scripture that says that Heavenly Father gave the name The Book of Mormon. Personally, I think Joseph Smith probably named it and the Lord approved it. I think it is a good idea that we keep the name since most people know us through the name of the book, changing could be very confusing. I don't know, I don't see it as a big deal either way.

Post Date: 4th Aug, 2009 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

Rename The Book Of Mormon
A Friend

But thats not what you said, you said the record was named by G-d...where is the proof?

SuzieSu,
You are not going to verify everything on the scriptures. That's where your faith, testimony, personal prayer etc come in.
There might not be a scripture to literaly read what you are asking for, but that doesn't mean that it is not true. Some may not believe that, . . . But that doesn't make it any less true.

Rather off topic, but...
If you want to get that passionate about it, Isn't Jesus Christ God too?
Nobody has specifically said that Heavenly Father named the book.

And do you demand a scripture to prove everything you're told?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Aug, 2009 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Rename Book Mormon - Page 4

QUOTE (Wes @ 4-Aug 09, 11:28 PM)
There might not be a scripture to literaly read what you are asking for, but that doesn't mean that it is not true. 

Oh wow, finally...the thing is if a person is going to say something they cant prove then just say its your personal belief you know what am I saying? nobody can argue with that instead of trying to pass it as fact when isnt.

Rather off topic, but...
If you want to get that passionate about it,  Isn't Jesus Christ God too?

Nope they arent the same what kind of question is that? Jesus Christ is a G-d but not THE G-d, the Father. We arent Catholics you know what I am saying?

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 4th Aug, 2009 - 11:39pm

Post Date: 4th Aug, 2009 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Rename Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

OK, Good. So, now we are on the same page. smile.gif

Rather off topic, but...
Oh wow, finally...

I never said there was a scripture for this. I just said "He named it", but never claimed it was scripture. It's you who has been asking for a scripture all along.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Rename The Book Of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,