Should We Teach Our Teens How To Use A Condom? - Page 2 of 3

You are missing my point. Whether I am not - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Jul, 2009 - 6:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
3rd May, 2009 - 5:41am / Post ID: #

Should We Teach Our Teens How To Use A Condom? - Page 2

I would say no, the Church is against any form of birth control, like abortion, 'the pill', or condoms. The Church is also totally against pre-marriage sex. I would teach my children not to have sex, because it is morally wrong, and the fact that there are STD's like AIDS, herpes, and other STD's that I wouldn't want to get, or give to ANYONE I'm having sex with!

If I found out that one of my children was having sex, I would take him or her to the doctor to look for STD's and also talk freely with my child and the doctor about myths that some teens believe, like you can't get pregnant on your first time, during 'that time of month', or you can't get STD's from (think of an answer of your choosing). I would also talk to the Bishop, and ask him of things I can do, or say to my child, and tell my child to talk to him too.

Sponsored Links:
3rd May, 2009 - 11:42am / Post ID: #

Condom Use To Teens Teach Should

QUOTE (haleray @ 3-May 09, 1:41 AM)
I would say no, the Church is against any form of birth control, like abortion, 'the pill', or condoms.

Abortion is not a form of birth control since the embryo has been conceived already. Also where do you get the idea that the Church is against birth control? In the past, Prophets have spoken against it but the official position is that it is a decision between the couple (General Handbook of Instructions). I would say that leaders frown upon it, yes (their personal opinions) but the official position does not state the Church is against it but is leeft up to the couple.

If you are interested in discussing this topic, we have a thread in the LDS Mature board (need upgrading):

Pregnant again or not?

Going back to the topic, I would like to ask those parents with older children if they would teach their children how to use a condom let's say the night before their wedding day. I would still not do it, I would leave the matter entirely to my child and his spouse.

3rd May, 2009 - 5:48pm / Post ID: #

Should We Teach Our Teens How To Use A Condom? Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (dbackers @ 27-Apr 09, 12:55 AM)
Another co-worker let out one of the loudest laughs I have heard in a long time and she said " good luck with that" and she continued laughing until she realized I was serious.

That seems to be the attitude of the world these days and one of the reasons why we are even having this conversation. Parents have acquiesced to the idea that kids are going to be sexually active and there is nothing we can do about it. If more parents would actually parent and teach their children from the beginning about morals and the sanctity of sexually relations between married adults the world would be a lot better off. There would be fewer teen pregnancies, STD's and abortions. Not to mention these kids are not emotionally equipped to handle the repercussions of a sexual relationship. They are children after all.

Teaching a child how to use a condom amounts to giving them implied consent. Not something I would choose to do.
IF a child of mine came to me and said they were already having sex - I would first let them know I did not approve and the Lord did not approve. Then I would discuss the importance of taking appropriate precautions if they intended to continue.

the Church is against any form of birth control, like abortion, 'the pill', or condoms.

The Catholic church is against any form of birth control. Our church has never come out with such a stand. The only thing I have ever read or heard is that each couple should prayerfully make such decisions themselves.

Reconcile Edited: alskann on 3rd May, 2009 - 5:50pm

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2009 - 9:35am / Post ID: #

Should We Teach Our Teens How To Use A Condom?
A Friend

Page 2 Condom Use To Teens Teach Should

It seems to me that many LDS parents and many of you making comments have the opinion that you should only teach about avoiding sexual activity, and avoid the rest of the conversation.

I have to say that I strongly disagree. The fact is that kids will learn about contraceptives, std's, and all about sex whether you teach them or not. The question is then, Would you rather educate them yourself and make sure they have the facts strait and make sure they understand the law of chastity and lords expectations for them. Or, would you rather leave that up to their friends and the media to teach them.

Just because you educate your kids about sex does not mean you are giving them the message that it is ok. I am sure you are going to let them know that it is not ok.

So my answer is yes, you should teach your kids what a condom is, how to use it, how it works... Its all the same. If you know what a condom is then you know how to use it. It's not rocket science.

20th Jul, 2009 - 3:17pm / Post ID: #

Condom Use To Teens Teach Should

The fact is that kids will learn about contraceptives, std's, and all about sex whether you teach them or not.

They will learn about them but does not mean I have to start the process. Also I don't believe I have to go into details because unless I'm think my children are going out to have sex why would I want to help them along? This is the same as saying they will be exposed to cigarettes so I need to show them the best way to hold it in their hand.

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2009 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'm not saying you should educate your 6 year old about sex. I'm talking about your teenagers (I'm not sure what the appropriate age would be). I mean when they are already being exposed by the media, friends and school.

Obviously you are not going to teach your kids the "best way to hold a cigarette". But it would be great to teach them what happens when you smoke a cigarette. That the toxins, nicotine and whatever else goes into your lungs, and what the consequences are.

Obviously your not going to teach your kids the "best way" to have sex. But you better teach them that that is how you get pregnant, stds, and become unclean in the sight of god.

It's better to make sure they understand the basics correctly, and obviously focus on explaining what is expected of them and why. Any responsible parent would not leave it up to society to completely teach their children about sex. By doing that, they run a higher risk of truly getting the wrong idea and truly being deceived.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Jul, 2009 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

Should Teach Teens To Use Condom - Page 2

QUOTE (colbyjay @ 20-Jul 09, 3:56 PM)
Obviously you are not going to teach your kids the "best way to hold a cigarette". But it would be great to teach them what happens when you smoke a cigarette. That the toxins, nicotine and whatever else goes into your lungs, and what the consequences are.

Strange because after reading your previous post I had the impression you think parents should teach the kids how to use a condom, with this example given you are proposing you should teach them how to smoke, not just simply explaining the consequences.

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2009 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Teach Teens To Use Condom Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

You are missing my point. Whether I am not good at explaining my view or you are not good at understanding I do not know. But you are completely missing my point. I'll stop trying to explain, because I get the feeling that no matter what I say you will just not get it. Hopefully other people will get my point.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Should We Teach Our Teens How To Use A Condom?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,