SMF Tips

Smf Tips - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 15th Aug, 2009 - 5:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Simple Machines
27th Apr, 2009 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

SMF Tips

I've used SMF which are Simple Machine's forum software. Its free and so that was instanct attraction but I'd like to get some tips on security and speed if anyone will be willing to share them.

Sponsored Links:
27th Apr, 2009 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Tips SMF

I get this question a lot of times. Here is just some off the top of my head:

1. Stick with the STABLE version which at the time of my post is 1.18
2. Do not over install mods, especially unsupported mods that may be a security risk later
3. Ensure your permissions to Guests are VERY limited and your Members not beyond what would give them a chance to cause havoc.
4. Choose your Moderators wisely
5. Clear logs, ensure you only have the necessary files writeable
6. Change your password regularly.

Post Date: 15th Aug, 2009 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

SMF Tips
A Friend

SMF Tips Gaming Video & Issues Computer

I'll defer from JB on this one: Personally, I think that unstable is okay, but don't get any of the early betas. For example, if I were to be setting up a forum right now, I'd be using SMF 2.0 RC 1.2 as opposed to 1.1.10. I've spent some time on the beta team, and those guys work hard to clear the bugs out... By some standards, 2.0 was stable when it first hit public beta.

I also would like to warn against using too many mods. They can present security holes (because they are not checked nearly as well as the forum software itself), and if you have too many of them, can cause issues when installing security patches.

15th Aug, 2009 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

Tips SMF

Most modifications actually defeat the constant security fixes. SMF is alright for free software. Most people find their admin section too complexed and I tend to agree. Things could be more simplified but heck again its free.

> TOPIC: SMF Tips

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,