Swiss Guard

Swiss Guard - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th May, 2009 - 5:58am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 7th May, 2009 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Swiss Guard

Swiss Guard

Do you see the Swiss Guard, called up to guard the Pope, as a true military force or purely ceremonial?

Sponsored Links:
8th May, 2009 - 3:57am / Post ID: #

Guard Swiss

While they do look "pretty" in their cute Renaissance getups, they are packing swords, rapiers, halberds, flambreges, pistols and in some case rifles on duty. This is not a strictly for show. After the '81 attempt on JPII's life, there was a review of the Guards role, readiness for modern attacks and ability to perform hand to hand combat. While they are not the mercenaries of the Old Swiss Guard, they are there for protection as well as something to gwak at... I have seen them while in the Vatican and they are quite impressive.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 8th May, 2009 - 4:05am

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

8th May, 2009 - 4:17am / Post ID: #

Swiss Guard History & Civil Business Politics

Is there a particular reason they do not modernize there attire or is that just for show? I would imagine it would be really difficult to protect anyone wearing all that armor, especially when combat nowadays is in the form of snipers and bombs - they really stand out as targets. I do know that before they are accepted into the Swiss Guard they must have had finished their formal military training.

Rather off topic, but...
Vincenzo, you should update us on the Studies of Catholicism Board. Thanks.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

8th May, 2009 - 5:58am / Post ID: #

Guard Swiss

Yes, they finish normal military training and then take further training to join the Pontificus Guard. The attire is for show. I mean, if we are talking practical attire, shouldn't the Pope address the mass in a bullet-proof vest? How would it look if the Pope were addressing the congregation with 2 guys toting ozzies, wearing shades and dark suits like the guys that protect Obama? That message of love thy fellow man might not hit the same note if the Pope's posey is scopin the crowd for perps. Most of the time they actually do not wear all that armour.

When I was there, I only saw them wear that armour when guarding gates. The rest of the time they have the same orange, blue and red outfit but without the armour. They actually do a bit of performing before the Pope attends to the congregation, which was nice to see. However, once done, there was a guard on either side of Pope JPII (a descent distance away, but close enough that they were there). The outfit allowed them to be there, but really not stand out that much as the Pope's and the Cardinals attire is bold as well...what I mean to say is...they fit. While there, they were definitely looking the crowd over. There are also sharp shooters (from the guard) for various functions. They may or may not be in costume.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

> TOPIC: Swiss Guard

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,