Husbands And Wives Are Equal Partners

Husbands Wives Equal Partners - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th May, 2009 - 2:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2009 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

Husbands and Wives Are Equal Partners
Mormon Doctrine / Teachings

Remember, brethren, that in your role as leader in the family, your wife is your companion. As President Gordon B. Hinckley has taught: In this Church the man neither walks ahead of his wife nor behind his wife but at her side. They are coequals (in Conference Report, Oct. 1996, 68; or Ensign, Nov. 1996, 49). Since the beginning, God has instructed mankind that marriage should unite husband and wife together in unity (see Genesis 2:24). Therefore, there is not a president or a vice president in a family. The couple works together eternally for the good of the family. They are united together in word, in deed, and in action as they lead, guide, and direct their family unit. They are on equal footing. They plan and organize the affairs of the family jointly and unanimously as they move forward.?

L. Tom Perry, Fatherhood, an Eternal Calling, Liahona, May 2004, 71

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th May, 2009 - 2:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Partners Equal Wives Husbands

This is an interesting topic, and one that I struggle with sometimes. We (men) are taught that we must preside over the family in love and righteousness, and that wives should sustain husbands in this sacred responsibility. Isn't that like a bishop/counselor relationship?

I read the scriptures:

1 Peter 3
1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands, that if any obey not the Word, they also may be won without the word by the conduct of their wives
6 even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. Ye are her daughters as long as ye do well and are not afraid with any bewilderment.
7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with your wives with understanding, giving honor unto the wife as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers be not hindered.

and

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord." -Ephesians 5:22

"And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." -Genesis 2:18

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord." -Colossians 3:18

The way that I understand it, husbands and wives should consult with each other on important matters, but when an impasse is reached, the husband has the responsibility of making the final decision.

The quote by President Hinckley (in the above post) doesn't seem to imply that, however. So, which is right?

17th May, 2009 - 2:51pm / Post ID: #

Husbands And Wives Are Equal Partners Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (mcall @ 17-May 09, 10:20 AM)
The way that I understand it, husbands and wives should consult with each other on important matters, but when an impasse is reached, the husband has the responsibility of making the final decision.

The quote by President Hinckley (in the above post) doesn't seem to imply that, however. So, which is right?

We need to understand that wives and husbands support each other in righteousness. If a husband is doing something/deciding something unrighteous, it is not the responsibility of the wife to support him. In my opinion, there is not such a thing as who makes the "final" decision. A loving couple should discuss and reach a consensus when there is a disagreement, if mature they will find the middle ground without one of them deciding by himself/herself to do something that goes against the other.

> TOPIC: Husbands And Wives Are Equal Partners

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,