How Then Did God Become A God Himself?

How God God Himself - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Jul, 2009 - 3:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 19th May, 2009 - 7:34pm / Post ID: #

Name: Nieija

Comments: I've often wondered about the "exalted man" revelation(assuming it to be one since Joseph Smith taught it)
How then did God become a god himself? Has he also been going through the same stages we have? Wouldn't that mean that there would have to have been a savior and a tempter etc. Basically a former model of what we know from the scriptures and revelations today?
Again, any input on this is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links:
19th May, 2009 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Himself God Become God Then How

Very simply, we don't know. Most of us who have attempted to understand much of this doctrine have thought deeply about it, and even attempted to research it. However, there are no revelations about recorded. Presumably, this is one of those mysteries that we are encouraged to learn, but then we must keep the answers to ourselves.

20th May, 2009 - 4:19pm / Post ID: #

How Then Did God Become A God Himself? Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 19-May 09, 2:34 PM)
Name: Nieija

Comments:  Basically a former model of what we know from the scriptures and revelations today?

For the most part yes!

We have to assume
1. The plan of salvation that our Heavenly Father used is perfect in every way to allow his children to be exalted.

2. If that is the best way to exalt children then the plan of salvation must have been used with Heavenly Father.

3. This would require the use of a Savior. I'm not sure if a Tempter is actually required. Really just agency is required. That could be debated.

So the same model has been going on probably forever. Where did it start, who knows if it ever really did.

Post Date: 25th Jun, 2009 - 12:44pm / Post ID: #

Name: Steve

Comments: You need to look at the King Follett discourse that Joseph Smith gave talking about how exaltation works. True he gave it at a funeral and the record is composed of notes of those in attendance, but it gives a good answer. It talks about the Christ doing what his father did etc. As well. In short, God must have grown as we did, because the creation of the Earth was based upon the creation of other worlds. The plan and path back to him must have been created based on that of other plans. Read the King Follett discourse, and if someone wants to argue that the church doesn't recognize it as divine relation, then why is it quoted in the new Joseph Smith manual and the old gospel essential manuals.

Source 1: King Follett Discourse
Source 2: Gospel Principals

Post Date: 6th Jul, 2009 - 11:33am / Post ID: #

Name: George

Comments: Good and evil exist eternally, as with the plan of salvation, creation, etc. Simply put " as man is, God once was, and as God is, man may become" You do not have to understand all of the elements for it to be true. Truth is independent and eternal also.

Source 1: Doctrine and Covenants

Post Date: 8th Jul, 2009 - 1:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

If you look at the lyrics to "If You Could Hie to Kolob" in our hymn book, we can gain some answers to your question. You question is a very deep one, but we can gain answers from this hymn because hymns contain official Church doctorine.

I have broken it up into relevant sections, providing feedback as I go.

If you could hie to Kolob In the twinkling of an eye,
And then continue onward With that same speed to fly,
Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?
Or see the grand beginning, Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation, Where Gods and matter end?

This previous section is a series of rhetorical questions that are supposed to be answered in the negative (the answers are supposed to be "no").

Me thinks the Spirit whispers, "No man has found "pure space,"
Nor seen the outside curtains, Where nothing has a place."
The works of God continue, And worlds and lives abound;
Improvement and progression Have one eternal round.

This section answers the questions originally posed. We can conclude from the information given that:

1) We can not find out the generation where Gods began to be. They have always existed. We cannot fully comprehend this. This idea is reinforced below.
2) Since "no man has found pure space" this could mean that there was no grand beginning, and there will be no end to Gods and matter.

There is no end to matter; There is no end to space;
There is no end to spirit; There is no end to race.
There is no end to virtue; There is no end to might;
There is no end to wisdom; There is no end to light.
There is no end to union; There is no end to youth;
There is no end to priesthood; There is no end to truth.
There is no end to glory; There is no end to love;
There is no end to being; There is no death above.
There is no end to glory; There is no end to love;
There is no end to being; There is no death above.

These statements allude to the fact that nothing really ends. Gods have always been, and Gods always will be.

Therefore, we can conclude that at one time, our Heavenly Father once had his own Heavenly Father, as well as his own Heavenly Mother. He lived before we did in conditions at least somewhat similar to what we are going through.

We aren't necessarily definitive on going back in time when we consider this doctrine, but we know that we have the opportunity to become Gods. As Gods, we will rule over our own children. They then have the opportunity to become Gods. The cycle continues, just as "If you could Hie to Kolob" states.

As for previous "saviors" and "tempters" for each God, I am pretty sure that each God has had one of each. I can't remember the quote, but there was a General Authority way back in the early days of the church who gave an address at the funeral of Joseph Smith. He said that each God has had their own savior. Don't take my word for it though until I find the quote. I'll look.

By the way, go to youtube and search "If You Could Hie To Kolob." It really is beautiful.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Jul, 2009 - 2:41am / Post ID: #

A Friend

How Then God Become God Himself

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 19-May 09, 10:49 PM)
Presumably, this is one of those mysteries that we are encouraged to learn, but then we must keep the answers to ourselves.

Isn't that like most deep doctrine?
"I have done nothing but what I've seen the Father do"

(I'm quoting this off the top of my head, so forgive me if it isn't worded exactly right.)
That would indicate, yes (in my humble opinion anyways).

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

20th Jul, 2009 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

How Then God Become God Himself Mormon Doctrine Studies

I believe Aeternus has a point there because even when the apostles wanted to see Heavenly Father Jesus kept telling them that seeing what he did is just like seeing the Father.

> TOPIC: How Then Did God Become A God Himself?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,