Sonia Sotomayor - Page 4 of 5

I have not doubted, since she was nominated, - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 3rd Aug, 2009 - 2:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 

U.S.A. US Supreme Court Judge
Post Date: 4th Jun, 2009 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sonia Sotomayor - Page 4

Top Pro-Abortion Senator: Sonia Sotomayor Will Support Roe on Supreme Court

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- One of the leading pro-abortion members of the Senate has confirmed Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor's pro-abortion credentials following a private meeting with her. Sen. Diane Feinstein, a California Democrat and a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, says Sotomayor is pro-abortion. After a private meeting with President Barack Obama's high court pick, Feinstein said Sotomayor has a "real respect for precedent" on abortion. That's code for saying Sotomayor will affirm the Roe v. Wade decision the Supreme Court handed down in 1973 that allowed virtually unlimited abortions. "I think she is a woman who is well-steeped in the law and well-steeped in precedent," Feinstein explained. "And I believe that she has a real respect for precedent, and that she was not just saying that. And if that is really true, then I would agree with her. And I believe it is." Feinstein told reporters that she asked Sotomayor about abortion in general terms and that she planned to ask follow-up questions about abortion during the confirmation hearings expected to take place in July. Ref. Source 8

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Jun, 2009 - 2:27pm / Post ID: #

Sotomayor Sonia

New Video Surfaces Showing Sonia Sotomayor Discussing Assisted Suicide Issues

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- A new video has surfaced showing Supreme Court candidate Sonia Sotomayor participating in a September 2000 panel discussion of end-of-life issues. As has been the case with abortion, the video doesn't appear to allow an easy discernment of where she stands on assisted suicide or euthanasia. CBN News White House correspondent David Brody has obtained the video footage, which comes from a Federal Bar Council Inns of Court panel discussion with what appear to be other judges and attorneys. The clips show Sotomayor and the others discussing patient rights and a hypothetical case of a patient who is near dear and the kinds of decisions that can be made. Sotomayor says patients may make their own medical decisions but appears to believe that physicians can hold significant sway with their influence. "Ultimately the law says the choice is the patient's. My own feeling the reality is it's what the doctor's pitch is," she says. Concerning assisted suicide itself, Sotomayor, as a federal judge at this point in time, appears to believe that doctors have to watch themselves in terms of their treatment decisions and prohibitions on assisted suicide. Ref. Source 6

Post Date: 11th Jun, 2009 - 2:50pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor
A Friend

Sonia Sotomayor History & Civil Business Politics

I hope that this does not mean that we will see doctors helping a patient to die. I think that all sorts of suicide are wrong.

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2009 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Sotomayor Sonia

Sam Brownback Becomes Third Senator to Oppose Pro-Abortion Sonia Sotomayor

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Sen. Sam Brownback became the third senator to officially declare his opposition to the Supreme Court nomination of appeals court Judge Sonia Sotomayor. Brownback joined in the fears that have prompted the pro-life community to label her pro-abortion by saying she will be a judicial activist. In a speech on the Senate floor on Wednesday, Brownback said he will vote against Sotomayor's nomination should the Senate Judiciary Committee send it to the floor. "Judge Sotomayor has indicated through past rulings and in her writings that she believes the judiciary should take an activist role and make laws, instead of upholding the law," he said. The pro-life Kansas Republican added, "As Chief Justice [John G.] Roberts said, a justice should be an impartial umpire, not a player in the game. I am afraid Judge Sotomayor wants to be more of a player than an umpire." Brownback, who is not seeking re-election but will likely be the Republican nominee for governor of Kansas next year, was a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee until this year. His comments put him in league with pro-life Sens. Pat Roberts, also of Kansas, and Jim Inhofe, of Oklahoma, who have also publicly announced their opposition to Sotomayor. Ref. Source 5

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2009 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

Sotomayor Sonia

Sotomayor Makes Reserved Opening Statement as Senate Notes Her Activism

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor took a relatively reserved approach in her opening remarks to members of the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday. Her comments came after Republican members of the panel noted her penchant for judicial activism. Sotomayor is the first Supreme Court nominee pro-abortion President Barack Obama has put forward and she would replace retiring pro-abortion Justice David Souter if confirmed. Obama, leading pro-abortion senators, and pro-abortion groups have also said they feel comfortable Sotomayor is supportive enough of unlimited abortions throughout pregnancy to warrant a Senate confirmation vote. Although Republicans on the Judiciary Committee talked about the kind of judicial activism that led to Roe v. Wade and its more than 50 million abortions since 1973, Sotomayor didn't address it. Instead, Sotomayor offered an understated defense of her experience as a federal appeals court and lower court judge. "Throughout my seventeen years on the bench, I have witnessed the human consequences of my decisions. Those decisions have not been made to serve the interests of any one litigant, but always to serve the larger interest of impartial justice," Sotomayor claimed. Ref. Source 5

Post Date: 17th Jul, 2009 - 11:28pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor

Sotomayor Accused of Contradicting Herself on Involvement in Pro-Abortion Group

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- There is no question that Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor served on the board of directors of a pro-abortion Hispanic group. What is not known is whether Sotomayor had involvement in or knowledge of several legal briefs the group filed promoting unlimited abortions and taxpayer funding of them. During questioning yesterday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sotomayor talked about her involvement in the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund. She told pro-life Sen. Lindsey Graham that she did not participate in reviewing or drafting the legal memos PRLDEF filed with the Supreme Court urging it to allow unrestricted abortion. "I didn't review the briefs. I did know that the fund had a health care docket that included challenges to certain limitations on a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy under certain circumstances," she said. Dawn Eden of Americans United for Life says Sotomayor later "made a serious contradiction of her own testimony" that was "at the very least misleading." "When Sotomayor said she knew the Fund had a 'docket,' she was saying that she knew in advance that the Fund was making the argument against" abortion limits," Eden explains. "She knew that opposing common-sense abortion regulations was the Fund's policy." Full story at LifeNews.com

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 28th Jul, 2009 - 4:21pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor - Page 4

Approved

WASHINGTON (AP) - By a vote of 13-6, the Senate Judiciary Committee has approved Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor to be the first Hispanic justice. Sotomayor is expected to be confirmed by the full Senate next week. Ref. USAToday

3rd Aug, 2009 - 2:20pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor Politics Business Civil & History - Page 4

I have not doubted, since she was nominated, that she would get approved. There are two many weak-willed Republicans and "moderate" Democrats. Very few will actually object strongly to the very clear fact that she is unqualified and completely wrong for the Supreme Court. But, since she is on the fringe Left wing, and Hispanic, and a woman, there is no way they will face the media contempt and do what is right.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Sonia Sotomayor

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,