What Would You Do In This Situation?

What Situation - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Sep, 2009 - 12:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 29th Aug, 2009 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I live in a predomanently non-LDS area, and 98% of my friends are outside the church. As such, I've talked to them about it, and many of them think that they know quite a bit about the church.

They talk to me whenever they hear about something relating to mormons. On two such occasions, I wasn't really sure how to respond. They both went something like this:

"Yeah I heard the most rediculous thing the other day from _____. They were saying that mormons believe that after they die, they can become gods. (laugh), that's crazy! I know you don't believe in that!"

That's kind of a tough thing to answer because they have absolutely no perspective or grasp on what they are saying. Both times this happened to me (within the past few months) I just kinda shook it off, but I didn't want to feel dishonest and I didn't want to go against one of the major doctrines (and most sacred and beautiful) of the Church.

So how would you have responded to such a situation?

Sponsored Links:
29th Aug, 2009 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

Situation In You What

What I would have done is sit down with them and explain my beliefs and then let them ask me questions you know what am I saying? Also I would tell them if they hear anything about the mormons to come to me and ask me instead of assuming. Make sure though to be familiar with church doctrine and history since what they would normally hear is anti-stuff. Cool?

30th Aug, 2009 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

What Would You Do In This Situation? Studies Doctrine Mormon

That is a tough situation, mostly because to even understand part of the doctrines you need the spirit there. Talking about it outside over a fence can work for some things, but might not be the best place for others.

You could try to give some quick reply, about well it isn't that far fetched when you think about it. I mean God wants us to have all he has, wouldn't that be all his power? Would that mean we are just like he is.

The other way is more to maybe invite them over for dinner. Then you can say, about your question you asked, this is how we view it. More to set the record straight.

You have to follow the spirit.

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2009 - 10:54am / Post ID: #

Situation In You What

Name: Roger

Comments: I would have said "yeah, we believe we can become gods." Last Friday a co-worker asked me if we still have more than one wife. I answered his question as directly as I could, which naturally led to more questions and eventually I told him that about Joseph Smith being visited by God and Jesus Christ. He then chuckled. Basically, he didn't respond like he accepted anything, but the point is that I told him about a few gospel truths just as I would have talked about them to anyone at church on Sunday.

Don't shy away from talking about the gospel. If they laugh or think it's dumb then that's out of your control and is no reason to not talk about truths. Anyway, having that experience last week, plus finding the pass along card I gave him that he left behind at work, I can sympathize with you when it comes to being around folks who mostly don't understand LDS doctrine and don't really care for it that much. Jesus had similar experiences too where people laughed at what He taught. Good luck in your future conversations with them and remember that if the Spirit isn't there then a discussion that leads to testimony building is not going to happen.

3rd Sep, 2009 - 11:38pm / Post ID: #

Situation In You What

Dear Spencer, pray about it. Ask Heavenly Father for the help you need to resolve this issue. Let the Spirit testify to your friends. Trust in the Lord and everything will work out.

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2009 - 4:19am / Post ID: #

A Friend

That's some good advice. Now that I think about it, I think its just important to remember that not all people are meant to join the church, and every single gospel-sharing experience is unique in its circumstances.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 7th Sep, 2009 - 3:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

What You In Situation

I understand your situation... When I was in my mission, I encounter really hard for me to reply to such question, and after some study (because true knowledge is guided when you search for it, so not only praying would work but actually seeking an answer) and many hours of praying I came across with a reasoning that nooone could doubt and that I used many times after as part of my teachings...
remember, this was my inspiration, so ask God if you wnat to... If you should use my advice.
Person A and Missionary conversation....
A: I have heard that you guys think you can become Gods. How preposterous asumption... Us... Gods, thats blasphemy...
Missionary: brother A, do you believe that God loves you? that he is your father?
A: of course I do, thats what the scriptures say...
Missionary: well lets just say that you have a son, would you love him? what would you wish for him?
A: of course I would love him, I would wish the best for him...
Missionary: and thats the best answer smile.gif well, altho at this point this might sound ridiculous to you, it makes complete sense... God as our father, like any other loving father, wants the best for us. And nothing is greater to offer than to be like he is... Perfect... Loving... A God...
A: Of course he loves me, but who am I to become a God like him, thats ridiculous.

Missionary: lets see... Lets just say that you have the cub of a bear in your hands, once it grows mature, what do you think he will become?
A: a bear, duh!
Missionary: and If you had the chick of an eagle. What will it become?
A: an eagle...
Missionary: And the child of a lion?
A: a lion of course...
Missionary: and the child of a God?
A:...

Missionary: Mr A... God didn't create us to become a heavenly choir... Nor a future congress of slaves to serve him... Thats mean. he is OUR father, we are his children, and he hopes one day if we work hard, follow his commandments, and prove we love him, we can be just like him... With the chance to bring others to become like him. Can you see now that, that's why families are so important? Because we have one above... See? no mystery, not hard to understand. You belong to a divine family...

Post Date: 7th Sep, 2009 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What You In Situation Mormon Doctrine Studies

That was great. I think I'm going to try it next time this comes up. Thanks

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: What Would You Do In This Situation?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,