Movie: Knowing & Brigham Young's Doctrine - Page 2 of 2

This is more deep than I thought could be - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Jul, 2012 - 3:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
12th Aug, 2009 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Movie: Knowing & Brigham Young's Doctrine - Page 2

If taken from a strictly religious viewpoint, it seems to mirror the sentiment of many evangelicals for most of the plot.

Only a few will be saved while the rest of humanity, who through no fault of their own (Those who were not chosen or predestined) were destroyed. This seems like the view that " if you are not a Christian, or if you are of the unlucky few who could not hear the word then you are automatically destroyed (including the Character of Nicholas Cage who say the "angels" and was willing to follow his children.) I loved the movie mind you, but it seemed to follow the view that you are either saved (placed in a perfect place to eat of the tree of life)or sent to hell (destroyed in a burning fire).

I did see the parallels to the Theory that individuals of different worlds were brought from another place to populate the "earth". It was striking however that the two children were brought from a telestial world to a terrestrial world while it seems that Brigham Young thought that Adam and Eve came from a Celestial world (that they fell from a higher level to a lower one). It also seemed like the children really had no free will in the entire movie and were puppets of the Angels in contrast to Adam and Eve, who had their free wills before and after the fall without undue influence from the higher beings.

If you notice in the end that there were several ships dropping off children on the one world, rather then just one couple.

The tree of life was a nice touch.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jul, 2010 - 7:41pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine Youngs Brigham and Knowing Movie

international QUOTE
It was striking however that the two children were brought from a telestial world to a terrestrial world...

What makes you feel the world they were brought to was Terrestial? By the way other Mormon views on this have put it down to a Satanic cult movie so our attempts at finding comparisons here might be looked on with raised brows thank goodness for a private Mature LDS section.

5th Jul, 2012 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

Movie: Knowing & Brigham Young's Doctrine Studies Doctrine Mormon

This is more deep than I thought could be applied to a movie. I can see where you are coming from but I think that the 'old time' doctrines just sound familiar because so many of the masons think alike on matters of eternity and the stars. Remember people living on the moon was widely accepted.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Movie: Knowing & Brigham Young's Doctrine

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,