Diving Rods And Seer Stones?

Diving Rods Seer Stones - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Nov, 2009 - 5:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2009 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Joseph Smith had two seer stones, and once said according to Brigham Young

"that every man who lived on the earth was entitled to a seer stone and should have one, but they are kept from them in consequence of their wickedness"

Does this mean that as part of my progression it's possible for me to receive a seer stone in this life and use it as permitted by the lord to learn the mysteries of God and be guided?

Also, In D&C 8 it talks about the "gift of Aaron" that Oliver Cowdery had. It says
"it is a gift of God; and you shall hold it in your hands".  In the Book of Commandments it calls this gift the "gift of working with the rod."  It also says "this rod of nature, to work in your hands". 

Apparently Olivery Cowdery had a diving rod or "rod of nature" of which the Lord said "Remember it is sacred and cometh from above". The Lord encouraged him to use it to "find out mysteries, that thou mayest bring many to the knowledge of the truth."

In our time we don't think about these "tools" or talk about them much. It no longer mentions "rod of nature" in D&C, leaving us without understanding fully what is being talked about.

Does this mean we should not righteously seek these gifts? Or just that the church does not talk about them because they prefer to teach the "milk" instead of the "meat"?

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Jul, 2009 - 5:17pm / Post ID: #

Stones Seer Rods Diving

Similar Topics are also available here: Is Seer Stone In Hat True Form Of Revelation? also Does Pres. Hinckley Have A Seer Stone?

20th Jul, 2009 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Diving Rods And Seer Stones? Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (colbyjay @ 20-Jul 09, 5:04 PM)
Does this mean we should not righteously seek these gifts? Or just that the church does not talk about them because they prefer to teach the "milk" instead of the "meat"?

The Church doesn't talk about this or many other topics because the members are not even doing their home and visiting teaching and they want to seek for these "gifts"? I know too many of them concerned about finding more of the deep doctrines of the kingdom but you call them to do some service to the poor and they are not interested in doing it. So I say sure, you can seek any gift but should not replaced what Christ have taught of serving one another.

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2009 - 7:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Stones Seer Rods Diving

I agree. Thats exactly why the church doesn't teach those things.

24th Jul, 2009 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

Stones Seer Rods Diving

I would say its not a complete understand.

The Seer stone is kind of tricky, because there are different ways of looking at it.

Joseph Smith did have some seer stone while translating the plates, but to what extent it was used is hard to tell.

The quote by Brigham Young is more talking about a Urim and Thummim that we well get once we get to the other side to kind of fill in the in the blanks (Teach us we want to).

I have never hard that you could such a thing here, but that doesn't mean its impossible.

But thats the point, For either of these so called "gifts" to come, there isn't something you just magically do. Its called being righteous. There is now where it says that you are going to get these things, just blessings. Each has different gifts!

25th Jul, 2009 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

Reading this thread I was thinking that seeing this on its own might make investigators think that the prophet was doing things like the wiccans do.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Aug, 2009 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Diving Rods Seer Stones

Yes Joseph had his seer stones and yes Oliver had his rod of nature. Jacob had his striped stick ( Genesis 30:37-43) Moses had his staff or "rod of Elohim" (Genesis Exodus 4:1-5, 17, Exodus 17:9-12. Numbers 20:11) Aaron had his "rod of power" (Numbers 17:8, Exodus 7:17-20, Exodus 7:12,) The list goes on and on.

If you are faithful Revelation 2:17 promises that in the resurrection you will receive "a white stone with a new name engraved on it."

So there is nothing inherently wrong with these items, but to me they are just "crutches". If the church fails to emphasize their use, perhaps they are hoping that you can get answers through other means, rather than being dependent upon these crutches.

6th Nov, 2009 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Diving Rods Seer Stones Mormon Doctrine Studies

From scripture we see many items wee used as a means for miraculous events: rods, stones, water, oil, and so forth. These days the emphasis seems to be bringing about the miracles in a purely mental (great faith exertion) way.

> TOPIC: Diving Rods And Seer Stones?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,