What About Mormon Lawyers? - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE (haleray @ 1-Aug 09, 8:03 AM) 2. Withholding - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Jun, 2010 - 7:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
31st Jul, 2009 - 12:10am / Post ID: #

What About Mormon Lawyers? - Page 2

I agree with the quote you used. It is true and it was a good find.

But as an assertive person, it is not appropriate to spread every truth you hear about others, just because you want to be honest. There are times when truth we receive should not be spread to others, I.e Gossip, sensitive information you received as a leader in Church, or information that could physically harm another person.

The prophet Joseph Smith held much of what he learned back from the church because they may not have been ready, and the Scriptures tell of several instances where something was not written down because it was a truth that God commanded be withheld. The truth is, God at this very moment is withholding a majority of the Truth he knows from us to protect us from being harmed. Is He lying because he is withholding truth from us? According to your definition he is.

In the examples you're giving in most of them you're using lies to not hurt someone how that can be acceptable in your eyes?

No, I am advocating withholding truth, which I believe in certain instances is acceptable and is not necessarily a lie. In the examples that I have noted, it is entirely acceptable in my eyes to withhold truth.

Would it be more acceptable to turn the Jews over the Nazis, share classified information to the world, tell your wife she looks fat in that dress, share information about your married life, share the things that you learned in the temple with a co-worker, Spread every tidbit of information you have about someone else because it is the honest thing to do, or tell a congregation that the deceased had some despicable habits and should be condemned?

There is no reason to express a truth if it will damage someone unless there is a higher reason to express that truth (to help them progress or to help them overcome a weakness). Withholding truth is sometimes more moral then giving all of the truth to someone, in my opinion.

I believe unbridled honesty is as much a sin, as lying through one's teeth.

Sponsored Links:
31st Jul, 2009 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Lawyers Mormon What

I see what you're saying dbackers and I actually agree with some of those examples but I dont agree with the morality part of it as you stated before you know what am I saying there isnt anything moral about withholding truth.

31st Jul, 2009 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

What About Mormon Lawyers? Studies Doctrine Mormon

there isnt anything moral about withholding truth.

If withholding truth is not moral, why does God do it everyday?

31st Jul, 2009 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Lawyers Mormon What

QUOTE (dbackers @ 31-Jul 09, 4:34 PM)
If withholding truth is not moral, why does God do it everyday?

He does? how dbackers? He does it for the big bucks like lawyers do? He does it to let a serial rapist free?

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 31st Jul, 2009 - 6:49pm

31st Jul, 2009 - 8:26pm / Post ID: #

Lawyers Mormon What

God withholds truth, or more precisely he gives us as much truth as we are able to handle. This statement is true unless we on earth know everything God knows, and I find that unlikely

A few truths that God withholds:

1. Time of Jesus Christs Second coming.
2. He withheld from Abraham information concerning other earths.
3. He withheld some of the things Jesus said to the Nephites and what transpired on the Mount of transfiguration.
There are thousands if not millions of other things God withholds from us.

The other questions that you have asked, do not make sense to me, as we were discussing if there were times if it was ever moral to withhold truth. I suggest that there is times where it is moral, you are arguing that it is never appropriate to withhold truth.

I agree with you that withholding truth in most cases is wrong, and lawyers can be unethical. But to say it is never appropriate to withhold truth seems a little simplistic. Lawyers will not and should not reveal their strategies and tactics to the prosecuting attorneys or to the Jury. Holding back is necessary in these instances.

He does it to let a serial rapist free

Defense lawyers do not set serial rapists free; Judges,Juries, and imperfect laws do this. If I had my way rapist would be killed in a most horrid fashion, so I have no sympathy for them.

Rather off topic, but...

He does it for the big bucks like lawyers do?

Why are you so against people making money. Money is not evil, but an unhealthy focus on it is, whether it comes from the poor man or the rich man.

1st Aug, 2009 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

What About Mormon Lawyers?

dbackers fair enough I think you may have a point there however I think the point I am trying to state is that lawyers withhold truths when they're defending serial rapists or killers or what have you. How can withholding truth to defend those b!#$%$ be considered moral? I aint see the morality in that. For the record I dont hate people making money but I do hate people making money and trying to rationalize in this case members of the church walking on a very fine line of what is acceptable and what isnt and everybody is cool about it because they're wealthy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Aug, 2009 - 8:03am / Post ID: #

What Mormon Lawyers - Page 2

I think some of you are thinking of different types of withholding information:
1. Withholding information that someone doesn't need to know, or can't understand. God does this, and it is not immoral, or sinful. There is no point to try to explain to someone quantum physics, if they don't know basic math. And there is no need to tell someone that doesn't need to know something, like if a person did drugs 30 or so years ago, turned his/her life around and became a great church leader, I feel you should let them tell who they want, NOT you.
1 ½. This goes along with the first; confidential information. If your confined to a confidential agreement, then you don't need to lie, and say you don't know, but you can say that you can't say.
2. Withholding information from the police; this one can be tricky, the police can be vicious, they put non-violent criminals in jail as if they are murders. I feel the "Three Strikes and your out" policy is stupid since it is based on a sports reference, baseball, NOT on any sort of study that says the policy keeps criminals OUT of jail. However there should be some punishment, like parole, or probation. There are some crimes, like murder, that no matter how repentant they are, how much they have accepted Jesus in their life, that they should go to jail, and STAY there.

12th Jun, 2010 - 7:23pm / Post ID: #

What Mormon Lawyers Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

international QUOTE (haleray @ 1-Aug 09, 8:03 AM)
2. Withholding information from the police; this one can be tricky, the police can be vicious, they put non-violent criminals in jail as if they are murders.

Brother don't forget that we believe in honoring and sustaining the law. Whether you think its good or not good, stupid or no stupid is kind of irrelevant. As an LDS member you should encourage the sustaining of all laws.

Mormon lawyers just like any other lawyer and politician have a moral of their own.

rolleyes.gif

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: What About Mormon Lawyers?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,