What Are We To Understand Of Luke 17:34-36

What Understand Luke 17 34-36 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Jul, 2010 - 12:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

The Rapture
Post Date: 9th Nov, 2009 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Growing up Baptist and studying various denominations of Christianity outside of LDS, I've learned a lot about the "Rapture." In fact, I have read the complete series "Left Behind" which emphasized to the world of a huge event that will take place before the Coming of the Son of Man. This entails righteous Christians literally being taken, body and spirit, and miraculously disappearing from the earth.

To support this idea, they use the verses found in Luke 17:34-36

international QUOTE
  34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.
  35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
  36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Is there an official interpretation of this scripture and if not, are there any takers on theories of what this may mean?

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Corrected title.

Sponsored Links:
9th Nov, 2009 - 10:40pm / Post ID: #

- Luke Understand We What

The rapture is just one interpretation of these passages from Luke. In fact the idea of rapture and millenarianism is a very new idea in Christianity that came from the U.S. In the late 1020's. So the idea that I am assuming you are referring to is a pretty new concept in Christianity.

I think that the verses that you are referring to in Luke need to be placed in its context starting in the beginning of the Chapter. It is in verse 20 that the topic of the coming of the Kingdom of God is discussed. Remember that in this discussion the pharisees are talking about a physical kingdom with a Messiah that would destroy Israel's enemies (I.e Rome). So they are talking about a different Kingdom then what Jesus is talking about. This has to be in your mind when you read this because this is at the center of the discussion.
Jesus' response is to show them that this is not what the Kingdom of God is. Rather it is a community of believers and resides in all who have faith (17:21). He references Lot, Noah and others as to the coming of the kingdom. What he is saying is that His chosen elect will gather together and it will be their faith that will bring them to Him. This is not to say that their is not a physical gathering in the last days, because these verse can imply such a gathering.

Now as for you specific verses referring to 2 that are in bed, 2 that are grinding together, that shall be taken and shall be left, is telling us that No matter how close 2 people may be in life, they have no eternal guarantee that they will have the same destiny. What is important here is not that one is gone and that the other is left behind, but rather that the two were similar.
What is different about the people is s their willingness to accept the gospel in their lives that will be the defining factor when Christ returns. It will be those who accept the gospel who will build and be apart of his Kingdom not any worldly stature, ethnicity, or wealth. The defining thing in these peoples lives is if they accepted the gospel. This turns out to be the defining aspect of their lives, not being a grinder, a farmer, or a rich man in bed.

Post Date: 16th Jun, 2010 - 9:36pm / Post ID: #

What Are We To Understand Of Luke 17:34-36 Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: Hamus

Comments: I always thought this meant that one would be taken up to heaven and the other won't when Christ comes.

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2010 - 12:23pm / Post ID: #

- Luke Understand We What

Name: Nick

Comments: It's not offical but I can tell you exactly what it's referring to.

There will come a time here in the near future when the Lord will first clean His own House, then clean the World's clock.

For the Lord to implement this plan to extract a righteous remnant from among the dregs of the Lord's Church and the World in General, 144,000 select servants of God will be taken from earth to Heaven where they will receive Power & A commission to carry out the Lord's Great Final Work.

This so called Rapture is the "Raising to Heaven" of these select Saints of God who will shortly return to the earth to Establish the Lord's Kingdom.

This first episode of so called rapture, is to prefigure the Final Raising of the Saints from the earth at the culmination of this work, as we are caught up to meet Jesus as He desends in Power at the second coming.

The man child being born in Revelations is not Christ. And the first set of Lambs to follow this One Mighty & Strong servant in the hands of Christ, who is taken from earth and goes to Heaven and returns again, and the 144,000 saints selected from the twelve tribes of Israel who follow him, all come from among those of us here right now.

You want a reference for this? How about a real live vision given by God while standing in His Presence, to many of us here now, who are to soon take part in this! Is that reference enough?**

You ALL better grab the seats of your pants. It's going to be a rougher ride than you imagine!

You know that little saying in Isaiah where the Lord warns His people of this venture.... "Not to Grieve the Spirit"?

Well, that may take on a little more Tangible definition than you realize.

But I WOULD recommend following the Lord's advice on that one when the time comes...

Edited Message Edited...
JB: Anyone can come here and Post a 'vision' they had in an anonymous manner. This Board is governed y Rules for Posting which usually involves Source material. If you wish to be taken seriously please back up your rants with scripture or your Posts will not make it here (some of them have already been deleted).

> TOPIC: What Are We To Understand Of Luke 17:34-36

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,