Absolute Truths Vs. Relative Truths.

Absolute Truths Vs Relative Truths - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Apr, 2010 - 8:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
8th Aug, 2009 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

I was thinking the other day: I believe that are there Gospel truths that are Absolute truths (true of all dispensations). While other Truths are relative truths (based on the the Gospel age and Society the Church finds itself in.)

Here are some examples I can thing of:
Absolute truths
1. God is our Father
2. Jesus is The Christ
3. The Atonement is a reality.
4. The Book of Mormon is the word of God.
5. Sacred vestments ??

Relative Truths
1. The age of Priesthood ordination.
2. Circumcision
3. When to Practice of Plural Marriage ??
4. Changes to the Book of Mormon's Grammatical Structure or correction of Punctuation.
5. Standards of dress and dietary restrictions (law of moses restrictions, Word of Wisdom?) Women wearing dresses, length of the Garment.

Am I off base on this, or is all truth in the Gospel Absolute?

Is there some things we percieve to be absolute truths that are in fact relative to our time and place in history? Or are there other things that we take for granted or treat lightly that are in fact Absolute truths?

Sponsored Links:
9th Aug, 2009 - 12:28am / Post ID: #

Truths Relative Vs Truths Absolute

Good topic. I Discussed this in other Threads where Members mix up the differences between principles, which are eternal, and commandments, which may be temporal. Also, in the same manner: commandments which are from the Lord and policies which tend to be from man, and in some regards made to seem like they are commandments, but they are not.

11th Aug, 2009 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Absolute Truths Vs. Relative Truths. Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think I even confuse the two JB.

For this reason it seems the Church is not and cannot be exactly like it has been in other dispensations, and I think this causes some purists problems.

There are going to be certain Relative truths (as you say commandments) that will only be true for Noah's Dispensation, Abraham's dispensation, Moses Dispensation, The Gospel when Christ was alive and the Gospel in the Modern era. I suppose it is true that there will be relative truths that will be true for all Dispensations, but may not be applicable in the eternities.

Relative Truth can come from man or God in my estimation. But even if they come from man (I.e. The Law of the Land) in most cases it is required by us to follow these truths (obeying and sustaining the law). They also can fall into the realm of the 13th article of Faith as pertaining to going after the good ,wholesome, worthwhile things of life.

I think that this is why the Absolute Truth's list tends to be shorter. We can have something to focus on when the rest of the "stuff" clutters our life.

11th Aug, 2009 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

I take it you are trying to explain your opinion in this Thread based on thoughts in other Threads regarding changes with the Church, etc., correct? My main concern with regards to the Church in these things is consistency. If in a certain period a policy is good for one, it should be for all. Same for a commandment and there is no question about a principle which is eternal for any period.

11th Aug, 2009 - 8:44am / Post ID: #

I am not sure policies are almost ever consistent from one dispensation to the next. It seems that much of what we consider policy, is based on things such as culture, number of members, and the need of the particular generation.

1. At one time the Policy was to teach only to Jews.
2. The Policy was to use wine in the Sacrament.
3. Primary was held on Wednesday when I was a child, it is now held on Sunday.
4. Plural Marriage prohibited in the Book of Mormon, while practiced in the Old testament.
5. Age of ordination has changed in every era of the Gospel. At one time it was reserved for adults, while some received the ordination in early childhood.
6. Circumcision was a requirement in many eras of the Church. It is not so now and during the New Testament.
7. The Sabbath has been on Saturday for a majority of the Churches existence. In the Restored Church The Sabbath is on Sunday.
8. Noah was commanded to build a boat, Moses to lead the Children of Israel from Bondage, Brigham Young brought the saints to Salt Lake City. It seems every dispensation has a different calling.
9. Length of Missionary service, Age, and way the message is taught have all changed throughout history.
10. Christ and the apostles observed many of the laws and Ordinances that were found in the Law of Moses (Feast of the Passover, Day of the Atonement, Feast of the Tabernacle) which are not followed today.

These all seem to be Relative Truths that have changed from one dispensation to the next.

11th Aug, 2009 - 10:51am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Dbackers)
I am not sure policies are almost ever consistent from one dispensation to the next.

I did not say that.

QUOTE (JB)
If in a certain period a policy is good for one, it should be for all.

I was specific to one period of time because as far as I am concerned policies are instituted most of the time at a local level (or beneath general commandments given through the Prophet of the time) and are due to the circumstances at the time. So there may be policies of time to come to Church, time to clean the Church, etc., that will be unique to a certain Stake, Ward, and so forth. That is policy. Policy is supposed to be based on the leadership's 'inspiration' of the course their fellowship should take. It does NOT have the backing of "Thus saith the Lord..." although Members like to think it does because of the constant affirmation "Follow your local leaders" and the D&C's:

QUOTE ( D&C 1: 38)
What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.

I remember a Branch President once quoted this for me and said it applied to him, I did not agree, but did not tell him that. I feel the Lord was specifically addressing commandments given as the mouth piece of the Lord, whereas a Branch President is just following direction really. The only thing 'new' a Branch President / Bishop can issue is a policy and usually it is not relevant for salvation in the strict sense. That is why we have such silly disputes like white shirt or not.

However, we have to decipher... What has been given in the RESTORATION through Joseph Smith is that to be taken as revealed truth of how we must act or policy or commandments for this dispensation? We are still WITHIN the dispensation from the time of Joseph - the dispensation of the fullness of times, yet there seems to be radical change to commandments. Therefore we also have questions on the changes of ordinances which come by way of commandment.

QUOTE (D&C 1: 17 (4-5 @ 17-18))
  17 Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments;

Interesting to note: The Sacrament prayer in the Book of Mormon and the D&C has a one word difference - is that policy, or commandment that we read the prayer as it now is? Or should we take it that when the Lord gives a commandment that is should be so that it does not have to be taken in exact terms. I think this is what the Church teaches today - the Lord is not so exact but is rather very flexible. Is that a truth?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Aug, 2009 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Relative VS Absolute truth: I think that even within the same Dispensation there are relative truths that phase out over a period of time or come up based on changing cultural circumstances. We are almost as culturally separated from the individuals of Joseph Smith's time as He was from the era of Moses or Abraham. It is my opinion that God works with different people in their own tongues and based on their level of understanding and primarily within their cultural framework.

D&C 50:12 Now, when a man reasoneth he is understood of man, because he reasoneth as a man; even so will I, the Lord, reason with you that you may understand.

D&C 1: 24
  24 Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding.

I believe this indicates that God will reason with us within our cultural understanding (but within the precepts he has set fort), thus altering the way the message is given to us based upon our environment. The second scripture seems to indicate that God has given his perfect precepts to weak individuals working under the weakness of an imperfect Language. It seems this would indicate that due to Cultural differences of a certain era and location that the relative truths would change based on those receiving these truths and the needs of the people.

I also believe (and this is where I am walking out on a limb) that the Absolute truths that we have may not be in their perfect form either, because the Language they have been given in is imperfect. Without a perfect language or a direct line from God to man, then the Absolute truth remain a mystery to us also.

This is just my perception of the situation, and could explain why different individuals have different perceptions of saving doctrines and still be justified before God.

Rather off topic, but...

I am of the opinion that any local leader that quotes the particular scripture D&C 1: 38 is setting themselves up for failure.

I don't think I have heard that scripture used by any Bishop, Branch President or Stake President that I have come in contact with (in Relationship to themselves), and I certainly would not have used it to express my point. I would be extremely surprised if they used that one on me, especially if the council he gave me directly affected my family (As I believe that as Patriarch of my Family that I would go to the Lord and rely on his inspiration first.) I can understand your annoyance.

3rd Apr, 2010 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Absolute Truths Vs. Relative Truths. Mormon Doctrine Studies

international QUOTE (Dbackers)
I believe this indicates that God will reason with us within our cultural understanding (but within the precepts he has set fort), thus altering the way the message is given to us based upon our environment.

I'm not sure about that. Unless we are thinking alike just in a different way - I believe God wants our culture to be changed to become more like His culture. If our culture is not fit we should drop it rather than have God alter his message to fit our way of doing things. My main problem is that we have to ensure it is actually God making the provision and not someone in the line who thinks it should be applied a certain way under the dreaded term - "policy" or "program".

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Absolute Truths Vs. Relative Truths.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,