Apostolic Succession - Page 2 of 2

Carlosrm but you didnt answer the question. - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Sep, 2009 - 3:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
6th Sep, 2009 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Apostolic Succession - Page 2

There is quite a lot of written discussion about it in such things as institute and seminary manuals. There is no revelation written about it. As I wrote before, it is a tradition and policy.

Sponsored Links:
6th Sep, 2009 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

Succession Apostolic

Its almost like the reason is more one of policy than revelation you know what am I saying? Which I would like to find out more.

I think we are expecting more out of this. Not every revelation is something that's written down. We know from the scriptures the ORDER of Church government.
When know which is the highest and second highest and so forth.

Even after Joseph Smith died the church didn't understand how things would work. I have to assume Brigham Young had a good idea that the 12 was now the head of the church and him being the President of the 12 that he was in charge but it wouldn't completely surprise me that he might have needed some revelation (guidance) to help him fully see how things where set up.

What am saying is just because we don't have some specific revelation given to Joseph Smith about how things are to be handle after he dies, probably really wasn't top of Joseph Smith's list to get a revelation about. But like we talked about before during Joseph Smith's life the way things were set up was really Assistance President.

Reconcile Edited: tubaloth on 6th Sep, 2009 - 11:53pm

Post Date: 7th Sep, 2009 - 2:54am / Post ID: #

Apostolic Succession
A Friend

Apostolic Succession Studies Doctrine Mormon

Now, I don't mean to create apostasy nor to create controversy; but I think that after Joseph Smith, no other prophet has really brought other revelations like he has, most of them have been proclamations of social awareness that improve the social conditions of the human being, for instance both the first and second proclamation.
I have faith in Joseph smith and the church, but I believe that the church is now being governed more based on inspiration than revelation.
This is a controversial issue since, I do believe that God will allow the church to be govern by good people who are in the right path, only because they do help to approach to the ending goal. The construction of temples was something predicted by the old prophets, the organization of the church was guided by the structure that the old and new testament had, as well as the book of Mormon, and the organization given to Joseph Smith. Eventually anyone can figure out that the Elijah project (he he, reeding the death) consisted in to give the same ordinances of the living to the death. Welfare, missionary work, church structure, etc... We can all trace them back to the ministry of any prophet of old including also Joseph Smith....

Rather off topic, but...
As a missionary I taught that in order to know a prophet is a prophet of God, 4 things where needed... 1.- Have the gift of prophesy... "and so, you will know that a prophet is a prophet of God when what he prophesied happens..." although there is modern revelation (once again, I think is more inspiration) we don't really have much prophesy as in the times of old. 2.- They hold the keys of priesthood. I don't doubt whatsoever in such keys since, I know that they have been restored, still, any worthy male can hold them in their own sphere... 3.- whatever they say, becomes scripture... Tho I don't really want to recognize the ensign as scripture, I have to admit that it does resembles it, but then again, also the president of young women, or the counselor of Sunday school can leave her printing in it, making the parameter of scripture wide open. 4.- and as important as the others... They have the power to work miracles... I am concerned that the next time we'll see a miracle of scriptural proportions, will be when the two witnesses will come back from the death on the second coming. I will not push a prophet to show me a miracle (that would show I am an adulter based on the teachings of the prophet Joseph smith... And if you don't know what I am talking about, man! you don't belong in this section since I am writing to people who have read many many many doctrine books; anyways...) and I know we all get our mini miracles, but I just wished I could be a witness or hear of one of biblical magnitude (once again, I am not asking for it, tho I wish I could witness one).
I would really like to hear once from the mouth of our beloved prophet, that he can speak to God face to face, that he got an amazing prophesy, that he did an huge miracle or that he knows about a lost scriptural book which tells the story of one of the many lost tribes of Israel...
I am not judging anyone, I don't question that our prophet has been accepted to be in such position by God... But I would definitely accept anyone who can say and prove that he has met all the scriptural qualifications of a prophet based on our scriptural revelation... Joseph smith did meet such, but at his times no one believed him, I wanna see someone who can claim the same that he claimed and I swear I would follow him to death... (of course after asking God if what is being said is true, and only after I got an answer from him)

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Again - use the Spell Checker. Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the SAME subject matter and does not develop into another Topic. See Constructive Posting Policy.

7th Sep, 2009 - 3:14am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Succession Apostolic

Carlosrm but you didnt answer the question. I'm really interested in finding out where the whole thing of the senior apostle automatically becomes the next prophet comes from since the church admits to be an automatic process.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Apostolic Succession

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,