Online Gospel Discussions

Online Gospel Discussions - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Jul, 2010 - 9:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Official Guideliness
9th Jul, 2008 - 12:47pm / Post ID: #

What do you think about the official guidelines the Church released about interacting in online discussions about the Gospel?

When discussing the Church on the Internet, it's helpful to keep the following in mind:

"¢ You"re speaking as an individual member of the Church, sharing personal perspectives. Don't leave an impression that you are speaking officially for the Church. It's your own experiences that will be insightful and interesting.

"¢ Remember that "a soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger" (Proverbs 15:1). It almost never helps to argue or contend with others regarding your beliefs or to become defensive or belligerent. Just share your stories in a kind and gentle way, remembering that not everyone will agree with what you say-and that's okay. Remember to respect others and their opinions.

"¢ Be friendly and polite, even if you comment anonymously. Act like you would if you were talking to your next door neighbor. How you comment may be just as important as what you say.

"¢ What helps the most are thoughtful and measured voices that explain the Church and what it's like to be a member.

"¢ Be relevant. Discuss the gospel where it's the topic of conversation. Be cautious about trying to force a conversation about gospel topics.

"¢ Everything you say or write could be on the Internet forever. Remember you"re always on the record.

Ways you might participate:

"¢ Create your own blog, or comment on other blogs that are of interest to you.

"¢ Share your perspective in the "comments" section of online news stories about the Church.

"¢ Create videos that illustrate aspects of your membership in the Church and post them on video sharing sites like YouTube.

"¢ Share material from Church Web sites by email and on the Internet. ...

Sponsored Links:
9th Jul, 2008 - 7:38pm / Post ID: #

Discussions Gospel Online

I believe this is good advice, even when the individuals discussing the Gospel are members of the Church. Even amongst ourselves contentions can arise, due to the fact that we have very strong opinions. We can see in our postings that we can even hold two very differing opinions about doctrine, even though we are in the same Church.

Look at me and Isiah53. I do not think we agree on much, but we both feel comfortable expressing our views on various aspects of the Church without becoming too contentious.

It is good to be able to share experiences and ideas with individuals who have ideas that we are not comfortable with or agree with. How else can we learn to open up our minds to new perspectives.

11th Jul, 2008 - 1:26am / Post ID: #

Online Gospel Discussions Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think it was ok but a bit contradictory to the different types of advice we get. From one side we get the counsel of using the internet to preach the Gospel but by the other hand we shouldn't spend too much time online.

11th Jul, 2008 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

I don't think these guidelines conflict with the advice to moderate our online time, just defining how to interact with others and show the church in a positive light - which, in my opinion, is necessary now and then to remind people (like me) to be kind, patient, and as correct as possible when speaking of doctrinal topics...

11th Jul, 2008 - 2:42pm / Post ID: #

I do feel is ambiguous because Pres. Hinckley specifically talked against chat rooms and those sort of places on the internet.

11th Jul, 2008 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #

I think it is like any tool. We have been counseled to not spend all of our time watching TV, but the gospel is often spread most effectively by television.

Like anything that can be used for good, some moderation should be used.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Jul, 2010 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

The Church is pushing Discussions online with their own format of course, see here: Source 7

> TOPIC: Online Gospel Discussions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,