Do You Consider Yourself To Be A Zionist?

Do Zionist - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Sep, 2009 - 1:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
15th Sep, 2009 - 11:38pm / Post ID: #

As a member of the Church, do you consider yourself to be a "Zionist" in any way?

Does the term hold positive or negative connotations for you?

What are the Scriptural rationals behind supporting or denying the existence of a Jewish State?

Can one support the presence of Jews in the area of Israel. Without supporting the idea of a Jewish state of Israel?

Sponsored Links:
17th Sep, 2009 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Zionist Be Yourself You Do

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "Zionist". Are you referring to the Jewish Zionist movements or more in the terms we LDS talk of zion? Zionist is a loaded word so I think you need to elaborate to the complexities that you are referring too. If you are referring to the Jewish movement then no I am not a zionist. For one I am not Jewish. A non-Jew can be a zionist supporter but not a Zionist in this since of the word. Also I can think of 12 zionist movements off the top of my head so I am not exactly sure what you are referring too.
However, from your question I am assuming that you are talking about the national zionist movement, in which case I do not consider myself a supporter of. I also do not think that the zionist movement has anything to do with the prophecy of Jewish inheritance. This movement has so many subsets now a days so its hard to lump it all into one broad group anymore. It is hard to blindly support such a movement that began with noble intentions and has done some pretty terrible things to the Palestinian people. When we absolutely declare this the will of God it becomes easy for us to justify SOME of their terrible actions and policies without recognizing their moral consequences.
Now before I get a lot of push on this, I understand that sometimes bad things (like war) need to be done out of necessity, but that does not make them morally right. It is when we forget this that we find ourselves in trouble, and this is where Israel sits at times. But when we say we are doing it under the guise of revelation, or in God's name it is easy to loose our morality even if the action is necessary.

17th Sep, 2009 - 2:53pm / Post ID: #

Do You Consider Yourself To Be A Zionist? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Before answering the question dbackers please define Zionist since the term since to be different for people you know what am I saying? Thanks.

17th Sep, 2009 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

In this specific discussion I would focus more on the desire and support for Jews to return to the area near Jerusalem and be a political and spiritual entity in the area.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Zi·on·ism  (zī'ə-nĭz'əm)   
n.  A Jewish movement that arose in the late 19th century in response to growing anti-Semitism and sought to reestablish a Jewish homeland in Palestine. Modern Zionism is concerned with the support and development of the state of Israel.
Zi'on·ist adj. & n., Zi'on·is'tic adj.

I believe the term is as diverse as the label "Christian", with varying levels and degrees of support for the concept of a Jewish home in Palestine. One can be a Zionist, I believe, and have tepid support for the state of Israel, while some one else could have fanatical support of Israel with varying views in between.

My view: As a member of the Church I am a Zionist under the definition above. I support the development of the state of Israel to facilitate a Jewish presence, which will someday be involved in the rebuilding of the Temple. On a political level, I have much more faith in the State of Israel, then in any entity that surrounds the State. Their Human Right record, In my opinion, is leaps and bounds above the cultures and peoples that live around them and I find a political kinship with the people and Government of Israel then in any government in the middle East as well as the rest of the world.

Do I support every action of Modern Day Israel: No, as I do not support every action of the United States. But I support the concept of a Democratic Jewish state and believe that the political presence of Israel is of some religious significance.

Do I support a strong state of Israel, and is some of that support based on my religious beliefs: Yes.

But my support the State of Israel is contingent on their actions. All in all, I support their actions much more then I support those in surrounding areas.

I just want to know peoples thoughts on their own interpretation of zionism and if it is in their opinion is positive or negative reaction to the word from your perspective as a Latter day Saint.

Generally I hold a very positive view of the concept of a Jewish Homeland in the area and of zionism in general, and my political and religious views tend to gravitate toward the concept.

21st Sep, 2009 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

No, I'm not a Zionist and taking into consideration the abominations and murders the Israelites are committing towards the Palestines (THEIR land by the way) no way I would be supporting anything to do with them feeling that is their land. Mind you, I dont hate them or anything I just dont agree with their agenda. Answering your question, I guess as a Latter Day Saint I guess you can believe whatever you want.

21st Sep, 2009 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

Thanks for your input SuzieSu.

Do you think there should be no Jewish presence in the area?

Should Jews be forcibly removed from Jerusalem and the surrounding area?

Do you support the existence of the State of Israel (while not necessarily supporting their actions) or should the Nation be dissolved and given to the Palestinians?

Can one believe that the Jews will someday build the Temple in Jerusalem and at the same time believe that they should have no presence or nation in the area.

Rather off topic, but...

Do you not believe there are abominations and murders coming from the Palestinian side also?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Sep, 2009 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

Do You Yourself Be Zionist

international QUOTE (dbackers @ 21-Sep 09, 7:22 PM)
Do you think there should be no Jewish presence in the area?

Correct.

international QUOTE
Should Jews be forcibly removed from Jerusalem and the surrounding area?

I think is too late for that.

international QUOTE
Do you support the existence of the State of Israel (while not necessarily supporting their actions) or should the Nation be dissolved and given to the Palestinians?

Yes, no problem with its existence but they should know they're guests not rightful owners.

international QUOTE
Can one believe that the Jews will someday build the Temple in Jerusalem and at the same time believe that they should have no presence or nation in the area.

Yes because just because someone does not believe they should have presence there doesnt mean we think they should be forced to leave like I said its too late for that so its quite possible that they can build the temple there you know what am I saying?.

Rather off topic, but...
international QUOTE
Do you not believe there are abominations and murders coming from the Palestinian side also?

Sure like any other person would do to defend themselves and their land.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Watch your Offtopic Tags so they can be formatted correctly.

22nd Sep, 2009 - 1:54pm / Post ID: #

Do You Yourself Be Zionist Mormon Doctrine Studies

I would generally consider myself to be a Zionist. The media and the Muslim apologists have done such a good job of distorting what Zionism is about and the history of the last 200 years in the Middle East that I can understand peoples' negative views.

However, based upon Orson Hyde's prayer dedicating the land for the return of the Jews, as well as the biblical prophecies concerning the area, I fully support the concept of the Jews returning to Jerusalem.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Do You Consider Yourself To Be A Zionist?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,