179th Semiannual General Conference

179th Semiannual General Conference - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Oct, 2009 - 4:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
3rd Oct, 2009 - 8:32pm / Post ID: #

I started this Thread so if anyone will like to talk about what they liked the most of any session of the 179th Semiannual General Conference can do so.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Oct, 2009 - 11:20pm / Post ID: #

Conference General Semiannual th

1.Temples will be built in Brigham City, Utah; Concepcion, Chile; Fortaleza, Brazil (Temple number 7th for Brazil!); Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; and Sapporo, Japan.

2. Elder Dieter F. Uchtdor gave a talk that focused on the Savior and His great example of love. He said that as the Church continues to grow, Latter-day Saints can help redefine negative stereotypes about the Church by exemplifying Christian values. We become disciples of Jesus Christ by showing love. His talk focused mainly on the importance to become more of a true disciple of Christ.

international QUOTE
"Because love is the great commandment, it ought to be the center of all and everything we do in our own family, in our church callings and in our livelihood," Uchtdorf said. "Love is the power that initiates friendship, tolerance, civility and respect. ... Love should be our walk and our talk."

3. Elder Kent D. Watson talked about Temperance as a a divine attribute of Jesus Christ. He said that a tempered soul is one that has gained increased spiritual strength.

4. Elder Richard G. Scott talked about being guided by the Spirit. Mentioned an experience of a humble Sunday School teacher in Mexico who inspired him to do something he needed to do, while a well educated Sunday School teacher in the US ( using obscure examples) struck him as one trying to impress rather than inspire.

5. Elder Bednar talked about being more diligent and concerned at home. He said we should express love and show it, bear testimony and live it and be consistent. He also mentioned about those people who stand in Fast and Testimony meeting and say, "I want my family, etc to know I love them, even though I don't say it enough." He said watching that made him "squirm". Saying it in public and then never acting like it in private, that's hypocrisy he said.

What are your highlights?

4th Oct, 2009 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

179th Semiannual General Conference Studies Doctrine Mormon

I had tickets for conference yesterday so I watched it live. Elder Uchtdor gave a powerful talk about Christ it touched many hearts now if we could get that down to the local membership & leaders!

4th Oct, 2009 - 3:23pm / Post ID: #

What an spiritual feast! I enjoyed listening to all the talks. My favorite one was Elder Bednar's talk on expressing love to our families.

4th Oct, 2009 - 6:12pm / Post ID: #

A little summary of some of the talks:

1. Elder Eyring:

international QUOTE
"I give counsel to husbands and wives. Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companion's joy your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion."

international QUOTE
"You can pray for your children, love them, and reach out to them with confidence that Jesus reaches for them with you. When you keep trying you are doing what Jesus does."

international QUOTE
"The Lord gave you a commandment with a promise," he said. "'Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.' It is the only one of the Ten Commandments with a promise.

"You may not have parents that are living. In some cases, you may not feel that your parents are worthy of the honor and respect of their children. You may not even have ever known them. But you owe them life. And in every case, even if your life is not lengthened, its quality will be improved simply by remembering your parents with honor."

2. Elder Nelson:

international QUOTE
"A desire to follow the prophet requires much effort, because the natural man knows very little of God and even less of His prophet".

international QUOTE
"Revelation need not all come at once. It may be incremental. ... Patience and perseverance are part of our eternal progression."

3. Sister Dibbs (Second Counselor in the YW General Presidency and Pres. Monson's daughter):

international QUOTE
"I invite you to read again the full account of this inspired vision. Study them, ponder them, and apply then to your daily life. In modern terms, we might say we are invited to 'get a grip.' We must hold on tight to the iron rod and never let go.

"Holding to the iron rod is not always easy. We may let go because of peer pressure or pride, thinking we can find our own way back - later. When we do so we are leaving our safety equipment behind."

4. President Monson:

international QUOTE
"I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and, figuratively, lose their life, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish - and in effect save their life."

"Often we live side by side but do not communicate heart to heart. There are those within the sphere of our own influence who, with outstretched hands, cry out, 'Is there no balm in Gilead?'"

We become so caught up in the busy-ness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we're doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the 'thick of thin things.' In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting these more important causes."

He mentioned that some may lament they can barely make it through each day with all they have to do and wonder how they can provide service for others, he then recalled that a year ago, he was interviewed by the Church News prior to his birthday. The reporter asked him what he would consider the ideal gift Church members worldwide could give him. He replied, "Find someone who is having a hard time, or is ill or lonely, and do something for him or her." He recounted the thousands of cards and letters members wrote him around the world reporting what they have done to fulfill his birthday wish.

Source: deseretnews.com

Post Date: 5th Oct, 2009 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Help others, LDS urged

LDS Church members were encouraged Sunday during the final day of the 179th Semiannual General Conference to reach out and help others each day and also to heed God's words and commandments to survive this time of worldly permissiveness.

"Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and, figuratively, lose their life, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish - and in effect save their life," church President Thomas S. Monson said during Sunday morning's conference session. Ref. Source 2

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Oct, 2009 - 3:16am / Post ID: #

Elder Holland was my favorite....he was so bold with his testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel; I was very inspired by his testimony, and in fact feel it was an answer to some of my prayers.

Also, I don't think that I have ever heard it preached so much to help one another; we all need that right about now, I think. My husband was out of work for an entire year, a few years back, it was so difficult; I was amazed by how many of my member neighbors didn't even bring me a plate of cookies; their non-support, added to my trial; ohh, there were a few that helped us out, but that would be the bishop and the relief society president....kind-of their job.. Needless to say, it reminded me of what it felt like to be suffering and how much support would have been appreciated; I will try harder to reach out.

7th Oct, 2009 - 4:11pm / Post ID: #

179th Semiannual General Conference Mormon Doctrine Studies

Elder Holland overdid it a lil bit with the tone of voice when he spoke about disbelievers it didnt sound very good to me you know what am I saying? The approach should be a lil more humble in my view if we wanna to get this people back into the flock. I admit he's a great speaker though but sometimes can over do it with the voice modulation.

Plus holy smokes! what the heck happened with sister Bibbs and her smiling through the talk even when she talked about people dying? I thought it was freaky!

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: 179th Semiannual General Conference

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,