Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 14 of 38

U.S. MILITARY: GITMO SUICIDE ATTEMPT A RUSE - Page 14 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 20th May, 2006 - 4:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 38 pgs.  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...Latest (38) »
Fair treatment?
Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge Related Information to Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge
30th Mar, 2006 - 8:41pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 14

https://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/06/D8G6CJV03.html
Some Gitmo Prisoners Don't Want to Go Home

Fearing militants or even their own governments, some prisoners at Guantanamo Bay from China, Saudi Arabia and other nations do not want to go home, according to transcripts of hearings at the U.S. prison in Cuba.

Uzbekistan, Yemen, Algeria and Syria are also among the countries to which detainees do not want to return. The inmates have told military tribunals that they or their families could be tortured or killed if they are sent back.

President Bush has said the United States transfers detainees to other countries only when it receives assurances that they will not be tortured. Critics say such assurances are useless. The U.S. has released or transferred 267 prisoners and has announced plans to do the same with at least 123 more in the future.

Inmates have told military tribunals they worry about reprisals from militants who will suspect them of cooperating with U.S. authorities in its war on terror. Others say their own governments may target them for reasons that have nothing to do with why they were taken to Guantanamo Bay in the first place.

A man from Syria who was detained along with his father pleaded with the tribunal for help getting them political asylum _ in any country that will take them.

"You've been saying 'terrorists, terrorists.' If we return, whether we did something or not, there's no such things as human rights. We will be killed immediately," he said. "You know this very well."

Yep. The ol' US is the greatest Human Rights violator in the world. Took those terrorists off the streets of Afghanistan and Iraq, gave them clean clothing, three full meals a day, entertainment, and questions. Now the US is doing EXACTLY what all the "rest of the world" wants us to do. But the prisoners aren't exactly jumping up and down in joy, now, are they?

Oh, of course. If we hadn't ever captured them in the first place, then they would have just continued in their merry lives. But then, for many, if not most, if not even ALL of them would have continued to kill US soldiers, plant IEDs, kill Iraqi civilians, kill Afghan civilians, etc. But that is OK. If only the US was like France or Spain, and let the terrorists and rioters make their foreign policy decisions, then all would be good.

I know, I know. A few members of the forum are going to tell me that the US is/was/will be all wrong on this issue.

The fact is, these people are scared to return to their countries. What is done is done. What do we, or they, do about the situation now?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Sponsored Links:
31st Mar, 2006 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Yep. The ol' US is the greatest Human Rights violator in the world. Took those terrorists off the streets of Afghanistan and Iraq, gave them clean clothing, three full meals a day, entertainment, and questions. Now the US is doing EXACTLY what all the "rest of the world" wants us to do. But the prisoners aren't exactly jumping up and down in joy, now, are they?

A few of these statements are incorrect.

1) The US is not the greatest violator of Human Rights, not even close. However, there is a recent trend of disturbing human rights abuses that has tarnished the US reputation as being a model country that upholds human rights values.
2) You are accusing these people of being terrorists without an iota of proof. If you had made these accusations in the media you would be sued for defamation and contempt of court. These people have not even had a trial and will not be entitled to a fair, independent trial. MOST of the inmates that have left Gitmo have been released.
3) To suggest Guantanamo is a cosy detention centre is contrary to the eyewitness accounts of most prisoners who have been released and interviewed by the media. We know that physical and mental torture takes place there. Furthermore, the whole exercise is a major breach of human rights because these people are being held without trial or any legal rights.
4) Just the other week I heard Rumsfeld say that there was no plans to close down Camp X-Ray, so I don't understand how the US Government is doing what the world wants.
5) You have used an example of a few inmates from war-torn countries to imply that all the prisoners are happy to be there. This is simply not true.

They probably would have continued their "merry lives" had they not been captured. What proof do you have that they were killing US troops, Afghans or Iraqis in the first place? If there was any proof, wouldn't these so called terrorists have been tried and convicted within 6 months, not five years.

So far it would appear the US Government has got it wrong. Compare the number of inmates who have been released as opposed to those who have been convicted.

Whether these people are scared to return or not, they should be trialled asap. And if they cannot be trialled then send them home.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

31st Mar, 2006 - 1:55pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge History & Civil Business Politics

All I have to say about my dear friend Nighthawk's recent post on this thread is the following:

Took those terrorists off the streets of Afghanistan and Iraq, gave them clean clothing, three full meals a day, entertainment, and questions. Now the US is doing EXACTLY what all the "rest of the world" wants us to do. But the prisoners aren't exactly jumping up and down in joy, now, are they?

Now, I will be very surprised if you think the reason for these prisoners not to want to leave Guantanamo is because of the "great" treatment they are getting from the US. When I read your article and comments the first thing that came to my mind was: "Geez, that's pathetic. Can you imagine the horrible things these people are expecting when they return home? To the point that they want to stay in Guantanamo!" For Heaven's sake! Can anyone see that?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 5th Apr, 2006 - 4:21pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 14 Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Military Tribunals Resume at Guantanamo Despite Pending Supreme Court Case
on Legality of Hearings

A Canadian teenager and nine other detainees are appearing before a military tribunal at Guantanamo Bay this week even though the legality of the pre-trial hearings remains in doubt with the Supreme Court case Hamdan v. Rumsfeld still pending. We speak with ACLU attorney Ben Wizner.
Ref. https://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/05/1351253

7th Apr, 2006 - 1:28pm / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Here is a rather weird twist on the whole Taliban terrorist debate. While Guantanmo illegally holds people allegedly linked with Taliban, one US University has welcomed a Taliban ambassador into their campus.

My question is, if the US Government is serious about detaining everything Taliban, then how can they let a senior official into a US University? Shouldn't this bloke be locked up and tried by the military tribunal like the rest of them?

Or is this one of the Taliban members who the US has been actively negotiating with?

Yale University: Taliban Yes; US Military No
While most American parents can only dream of sending their kids to a first-tier university such as Harvard and Yale, a former ambassador for the oppressive and brutal Afghan Taliban is enrolled at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, even though he possesses none of the qualifications to attend such an institution for higher education.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 20th Apr, 2006 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

U.S. RELEASES LIST OF GUANTANAMO DETAINEES

The U.S. government has finally given a detailed list of the suspected militants it has incarcerated at Guantanamo Bay, but only in response to a Freedom of Information request by the Associated Press.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...namo060419.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Apr, 2006 - 3:00pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge - Page 14

Sometimes I reflect on this situation and I have to ask myself... is it really necessary to have people who were in the middle of a desert country locked up in such isolation for so long? Were they really so dangerous or just mere soldiers on the field caught up in a war between nations?

Guantanamo Bay prisoner 'tried to commit suicide a dozen times' 

A prisoner at Guantanamo Bay, held without charge for more than four years, has tried to kill himself a dozen times in an attempt to escape the misery and isolation of his incarceration. On one occasion he tried to take his life during a visit by his lawyer.

"The enormous horrors that my eyes have seen and continue to see, renew my anxiety and pain and my very being and feelings are shaken at the mere thought or flash of them in my memory," he wrote in a 20-page account given to his lawyer.
Ref. https://news.independent.co.uk/world/americ...ticle360403.ece

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 20th May, 2006 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge Politics Business Civil & History - Page 14

U.S. MILITARY: GITMO SUICIDE ATTEMPT A RUSE

A Guantanamo Bay prisoner staged a fake suicide attempt to draw U.S. troops into a room where they were attacked by other prisoners, military leaders at the camp told reporters Friday.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/05/...lash/index.html

> TOPIC: Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,