Saying How Much You Love Your Family

Saying Love Family - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Oct, 2009 - 3:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Fom the pulpit while giving a talk or testimony
11th Oct, 2009 - 5:23pm / Post ID: #

Is it correct to use the time at the pulpit to "Let your family know..." how much you love them, etc., etc., what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
11th Oct, 2009 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Family Love Much Saying

I think is kind of odd to do that from the pulpit since it is a very private matter plus why would you say that in public? What would be the purpose?

Elder Bednar in the last General Conference addressed the issue:

international QUOTE
Sometimes in a sacrament meeting talk or testimony, we hear a statement like this: "I know I do not tell my spouse often enough how much I love her. Today I want her, my children, and all of you to know that I love her."

Such an expression of love may be appropriate. But when I hear a statement like this, I squirm and silently exclaim that the spouse and children should not be hearing this apparently rare and private communication in public at church!

Hopefully the children hear love expressed and see love demonstrated between their parents in the regular routine of daily living. If, however, the public statement of love at church is a bit surprising to the spouse or the children, then indeed there is a need to be more diligent and concerned at home.

The relationship between love and appropriate action is demonstrated repeatedly in the scriptures and is highlighted by the Savior's instruction to His Apostles: "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15). Just as our love of and for the Lord is evidenced by walking ever in His ways (see Deuteronomy 19:9), so our love for spouse, parents, and children is reflected most powerfully in our thoughts, our words, and our deeds (see Mosiah 4:30).

Feeling the security and constancy of love from a spouse, a parent, or a child is a rich blessing. Such love nurtures and sustains faith in God. Such love is a source of strength and casts out fear (see 1 John 4:18). Such love is the desire of every human soul.

We can become more diligent and concerned at home as we express love-and consistently show it.

Post Date: 12th Oct, 2009 - 1:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Saying How Much You Love Your Family Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have been thinking this for a long time, so it felt good when Elder Bednar addressed the issue. It seems to me that those doing it sort of try to make up for all the times they haven't done it in private.

12th Oct, 2009 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

Family Love Much Saying

I think some members may have the need to express that love in this way because they may feel insecure or in their mind they may think their spouses and children will like it. I don't know.

29th Oct, 2009 - 3:57am / Post ID: #

Family Love Much Saying

Somethings have become traditional in testimony meeting and this is one of them along with the tears and "every fiber of my being". I'm not taking away the genuineness of their love for their family but testimony meeting is about your witness of the gospel and not your love for your family.

> TOPIC: Saying How Much You Love Your Family

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,