Controlling Children In The Mormon Church

Controlling Children Mormon Church - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Oct, 2009 - 12:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Reverence - Primary Presentation
11th Oct, 2009 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

Controlling Children In Church

What are your thoughts about parents that allow their children to run up and down during Sacrament meeting. Are they not controlling their children or just allowing them their freedom? What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
12th Oct, 2009 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

Church Mormon The Children Controlling

They're not controlling their kids 'cause if they're making noise and distracting others then the parents have to do something about it you know what am I saying? Its not fair for those who want to listen to the speakers or partake of the sacrament in peace. Kids are kids they'll make noise but its up to the parents to do something about it when it gets out of hand.

16th Oct, 2009 - 4:06am / Post ID: #

Controlling Children In The Mormon Church Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have four kids, two of whom are under the age of 4, and they are obnoxious...let me tell you. However, I personally do not feel Sacrament meeting is a place for my children to "have freedom." However, if a child was being loud and obnoxious, I wouldn't judge that parent quickly, because....ohh my....kids are hard, and exhausting. I always take my babies out when they are disturbing others.

17th Oct, 2009 - 10:08pm / Post ID: #

Brothers and sisters, kids are gifts from Heavenly Father and we should try to remember that at all times yes it's important for parents to control their kids in church but it's equally important for others to be patient, loving and long suffering when they see a little one misbehaving.

17th Oct, 2009 - 10:17pm / Post ID: #

Graced...that was lovely...I'm going to sit next to you in church.

Post Date: 21st Oct, 2009 - 12:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think they should not allow their kids to run around and cause distraction in the chapel, especially not during sacrament. We go there to worship our Father in Heaven, not for play time. It is important to be reverent in church which is something I sorely miss in virtually every LDS ward I have ever seen. I think it's very inappropriate how loud people are and how much talking is going on. I feel the main problem is irreverence amongst adults. If adults are irreverent, how can they expect their children to be?

This topic makes me think of some quotes from the manual "Teachings of President Spencer W. Kimball" on the topic of reverence. I encourage everybody to dig out their copy and study it. He thought the noise level in church is wholly inappropriate and that we should be quite in the chapel and walk slowly and softly there, during sacrament just as much as before and after. We should keep the room sacred. I very much agree with him on that. Brigham Young likewise said something similar that is reported in the Journal of Discourses, where he said we should not take our children to church meetings until they are old enough to sit still throughout the meeting and are able to tell us when they need something (like food or drink) rather than just cry or get upset. I think that's how it's supposed to be. When I still was catholic and went to church, it was very quiet, people only whispered in the chapel so as to not disturb the reverence. You could listen to the priest preach. In LDS wards I often notice how I have a hard time even hearing what the speaker is saying if I don't sit in the forepart of the chapel. I find that situation rather regrettable and I truly think parents need to be more reverent. Once that is achieved, we need to ensure we can actually control our children so they will not disturb the worship and prayer of others.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Oct, 2009 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Controlling Children The Mormon Church

international QUOTE
Brigham Young likewise said something similar that is reported in the Journal of Discourses, where he said we should not take our children to church meetings until they are old enough to sit still throughout the meeting and are able to tell us when they need something (like food or drink) rather than just cry or get upset. I think that's how it's supposed to be

Dude, the church would fall apart, if all the mothers stayed at home with the little ones, so as not to disturb the "childless." Who would be there to hold the callings, teach Primary, Young Woman's, nursery. Or, should we not have children. The facts are, children are noisy, and even the most talented of parents cannot stop a child from a loud outburst from time to time in sacrament. It sounds like you don't have children; or if you do, let me know your secret to controlling the noise factor...because my kids are noisy! Try controlling a 2-year-old and an infant....ohh what a challenge. I don't think making the moms and kids stay home is the answer. Sitting towards the front is probably a good idea, it does seem quieter there, and parents usually sit near the doors, so as to be able to bee-line it out.

22nd Oct, 2009 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Controlling Children The Mormon Church Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think many members confuse reverence with being quiet which I personally disagree. If our dear Prophet Brigham Young said in fact what OldSouth said (I would love to read the quote) then I understand it in the context it was given at that time. But we no longer live in the 1800's. Those who live here in the US attend modern buildings with fans, nursery rooms, mother's rooms and all sort of options for those parents who wish to bring their younger ones to church. We need to keep also in mind that there are parents who have kids with mental and physical challenges who aren't necessarily young , should they stay home too?

I don't know brothers and sisters, my heart goes out to those parents who struggle to keep their kids quiet in sacrament meetings or who make it to church altogether. If we realize that being our brother's keeper involve serving to each other we would not have noisy kids running around but helping hands that support those who need it.

The words of the Savior fill my heart of love, gratitude and compassion when he said in Luke 8:16:

international QUOTE
Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Controlling Children In The Mormon Church

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,