Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 221 of 590

OOC: Well, we haven't had much luck - Page 221 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 27th Aug, 2010 - 6:15am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian

+  « First of 590 pgs.  217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225  ...Latest (590) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons Dragons Dungeons & Dragons - KNtoran
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
26th Aug, 2010 - 7:24am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 221

Ooc: I posted that we were pretty much doing the same thing as before, save Ryorst new action. I was thinking and going over the numbers and we could use a mage. If we had a mage to cast mage armor on the fighters before battle that would be awesome. I haven't looked at the cost of mage armor scrolls or a wand. I am just saying if our tanks could get that +4 ac to them we would be a lot harder to kill, and it is such a small thing. Maybe even in a bigger town we could hire a mage just for that sole purpose and he could wait in the wagon while we fight.

Of course I have to assume if we upped the ac like that KNtoran would up the fight difficulty. However against the orcs that are already pretty defined as they are this could be a valuable tactic.

Sponsored Links:
26th Aug, 2010 - 8:09am / Post ID: #

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

OOC: There are other good ways to have a high AC. For example, a character with Fullplate, a Tower Shield, the Dodge feat, and an amulet of natural armor +1. That's 25 AC right there. However, it's kind of expensive for a level 1 character, which most of us are. 1500 gp for fullplate is something you'd have to save up for, but if you're concerned with surviving more than dealing damage, a Tower Shield is the way to go. Using it for Total Cover to give a 50% chance the enemy misses before they even roll a d20 to hit is nice, especially combined with the +4 AC a tower shield brings. Mind, it's clunky, takes up an entire arm, and gives penalty to attack rolls, so it's not the best choice.

That said, the dodge feat is a nice, easy way to increase AC against a single opponent. There are other classes and feats and such that have been released for public use too, but they are sadly not included in the sources on this site. I have a level 6 Knight character in another campaign that has 29-31 AC, and total cover from his tower shield, meaning there's effectively a 1-in-40 chance that he'll be hit, and he has a 1-in-20 chance of scoring a critical hit, so he's incredibly good ad melee combat.

We need a mage for other reasons too. There are so many of us, and our only magic comes from the cleric and the druid, which is fine, but that's divine magic only. We need a good wizard or sorcerer, so I hope Lionel catches up to us soon, or something.

26th Aug, 2010 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

A full plate is suppose to have more noticeable drawbacks like the armour check penalties, the movement speed and the donning and un donning times to sleep at night.

But otherwise yea full plates are a great way to up a fighters AC
Unless your a druid then you need it to be made from dragon hide or hardened wood.

Hey someone could multiclass one level into wizard, then we would have mage armor.

Yea it's a shame we don't have a mage with us for the main reason he's missing out on exp and will be lowere level, mages don't really start kicking into awesome untill 6th or seventh lvl.

26th Aug, 2010 - 9:13pm / Post ID: #

Page 221 Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

OOC: Yeah, multiclassing a level of wizard would be good, except most of us have armor, and can't cast spells reliably. The monk could grab a level of wizard, I guess, but it's better for the monk to stay as a monk, and not multiclass at all.

26th Aug, 2010 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Ooc: I didn't like get the last reply by the GM that's why I haven't said anything so my last action is still the same.

27th Aug, 2010 - 5:26am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

Ooc: I might multi class as a wizard but when the heck did Oliron find the time to suddenly be a wizard. I don't want to multi class for just the mage armor spell either, kind of lame, and that's pretty much the only reason I would.

I was looking into and mages can actually cast spells without any difficulty in armor, as long as it doesn't have somatic components. Further if the still spell feat is taken the caster can cast those types of spells with no problem but it costs a slot of one level higher. This all sounds real nice except for the fact that a wizard has no armor proficiency. So if you were trying to play this angle it would be best to be a level one fighter and then up your mage level. That way you get all the armor proficiencies and just take the still spell feat by level 3. Avoiding spells with somatic components if possible.

I am pretty sure casting from a scroll or wand bypasses the somatic component of the spell as well. So in theory the mage could scribe scrolls of somatic spells to avoid the spell fail chance.

Beyond that you have to consider hp and ability scores. If your ability score is 18 for intelligence. You are probably going to want a 12 in dexterity to get that +1 to ac. If your going to be wearing all that armor having a decent strength will be needed to carry all that weight. If the whole point to it is having incredible ac you are going to want to put it to use (melee fighting). Otherwise there is no point to the whole thing. Then you have to figure your hp is +4 per level. Even with a great ac your still a squishy. undecided.gif So that kind of null the whole thing.

Thus my idea that we need a mage to buff us fighters. If that is the sole purpose of the mage a hireling would best fill the role. I don't think a player wants to make a character just to buff everyone else and then watch them fight.

Anyways that was a long speech but I was thinking about all this last night and wanted to share.

Lastly Rentok has darkvision, I am wondering why he cannot see in the dark.

BIC: Oliron preps an oil getting ready to toss it into or threw the flap.

ooc: I think we need an action from Rentok to get this thing moving. Everyone is pretty much holding their actions and waiting on him as far as I can tell.

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 27th Aug, 2010 - 5:29am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Aug, 2010 - 6:12am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread - Page 221

OOC: Ohey, I DO have Darkvision. Huh, weird. Time to go shove my head in the hole again. Oh, and I speak Orc too, cool. I should keep track of these things.

Ryorst heads back over to the hole he cut, switching back to his two-handed greataxe, and holds it open, looking inside WITHOUT shoving his head through the gab, just to be safe.

Rolls (Unmodified):
d20: 12, 4
d12: 9, 12
d10: 7, 2
d8: 5, 1
d6: 4, 5

Post Date: 27th Aug, 2010 - 6:15am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 221

OOC: Well, we haven't had much luck provoking whatever is behind door #1 to come into the light. I was not around for the first battle to experience the danger level that might be deeper in the cave so I am leaving whether it is a good idea or not to push the issue up to you guys. I am fine with whatever actions are decided as best for our party. If we want to go back to town and find some help, or if we want to just push forward, I am willing to die trying (although death would not be my preferred option).

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.