Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 241 of 590

In the name of roleplaying I have to say Eth - Page 241 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 1st Oct, 2010 - 5:41am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

24th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger

+  « First of 590 pgs.  237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245  ...Latest (590) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons Dragons Dungeons & Dragons - KNtoran
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
29th Sep, 2010 - 6:32am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 241

Ooc: I can see how splitting off as one unit can be a good tactic, if we can think up a good use for it. Eth's plan isn't impossible, and in essence a violable one. My mantra has been though that as a unit, together, we are more effective.

I was wondering, could we start a forest fire? They are all around us in the woods. I have oils and I am thinking some of you do to.

Dueling the guy isn't holding water for me. I'm sorry, it sounds great if it works, and I'm not saying it couldn't. It's just that I really doubt the word of marauding barbarians. Not to delve to far into it, but if you did kill the guy. I have some reservations that this army will follow you. Now that we know some woman is leading the orcs. I am guessing she is of the spell casting type.

Not because she is a girl but because of her leader (intelligence) position.

Further, can we toss all of the valuables into the magical chests. If we can break our load down to 3 chests (each one strapped to a horse) the whole caravan can attempt an escape, maybe.

We have enough time to do all of that.

Whatever the plan Jonas is coming with. smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 29th Sep, 2010 - 6:45am

Sponsored Links:
29th Sep, 2010 - 4:19pm / Post ID: #

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

If there are any in the woods around us then splitting would be a terrible idea, but I don't think orcs are masters of stealth and sneaking and no one has noticed any so far, It may just be the three ahead stalling for time, and trees are pretty arrow proof when you stand behind them, at the least we should be able to get close to them with full concealment most the way.

I think we gotta face the facts, we have a fight here its just how were going to go about it, we could just charge head on, it hasn't failed yet, or could wait till they come to us and hope no one else joins them.

Here's some math, ranged weapons can be fired 10 x their range increment,
Long bow has 110ft
Out of bow range = <1100 ft,
30ft walk speed, 120 run,
10 rounds to reach them by foot, (party average)
15 to 20 if we take the forrst depending on density...

on a horse
run 200ft
6 rounds, not sure if we all have the right horses and skills to go into full mounted combat tho...

its an additional -2 for each range increment, so we don't really need to worry until we are half way,

OLIRON its your call tho, eth cant make this decision

OR ! just thought of this one! we hide ourselves in the chest/s get the half orc to drag it to them as an ofering or something, then bam supprise attack! covered the distance safely, and might even get an attack or 2 in before they know whats going on. I'll leave behind an obscuring mist and entanglement on the caravans giving anyone else attacking them a real hard time.

Reconcile Edited: testsubject1 on 29th Sep, 2010 - 4:27pm

29th Sep, 2010 - 11:31pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

OOC: Except you only last, what, 10 rounds in the chest before running out of air? And I can't carry the chest and run, so I don't make it in time. Plus, you assume there are only three of them. Like you said, the trees are pretty good cover. Chances are just as good we're surrounded. You're planning on the assumption that these three are all there is, but we are the ones being ambushed, we have to assume the worst case scenario, otherwise we'll leave ourselves open to enemies we didn't think were there.

30th Sep, 2010 - 2:29am / Post ID: #

Page 241 Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Ok so the bushes idea was killed.
We don't hide in the chest, unless you can hold your breath for ever. (could always leave it a tiny bit open or run reads into it and use them as straws or something)
I'm prettys sure walking up to them was out of the question

So we have to find a way to configure 11 wagons and 2 carts so we can defend them all and the drivers, and hope like crazy that we were already surrounded and that more arent currently creeping up on us,

meh I'm over it Eth follows the actions of her companions...

Reconcile Edited: testsubject1 on 30th Sep, 2010 - 2:31am

30th Sep, 2010 - 5:57am / Post ID: #

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Ooc: From what I'm seeing In my head, this how it plays out, more or less.

1: We put all our valuables into the 3 chests, or as mutch as we can fit. This includes the merchants stuff too. We strap each chest to a horse and put a pc on it.

2: We set up oil to burn the woods to the sides and behind us. Possibly using a couple wagons to help fuel the fire. This should slow or stop the orcs to the north, east, and west.

3: We head / charge out south, under obscuring mist maybe. Hopefully putting everyone on a horse, or having a mount ready for them, in case we have to ditch the wagons completely. My guess is most of the orcs are on foot. So if we can break threw or kill the orcs to the south we have a good shot at escape.

To me this sounds good. 1, we keep the merchants goods, or a good portion of it, from the orcs. 2, we stop the orcs from attacking us on all sides. Also giving us a darn good head start. 3, we do our best to kill or break threw the orcs to the south, blocking us from getting back to town.

If all else fails maybe we can rig / set the remaining wagons on fire and high tail it south as one mounted unit, cutting our loses. I imagine Oliron could drive a wagon full speed south into the awaiting orcs. Then at the last moment starting the wagon on fire and jumping on his horse. The wagon (ablaze) sails into the orcs and we try to use the confusion to "slip" by.

Oh yeah, and if all the stuff doesn't fit in the chests we can maybe bury the goods. Set the wagon on fire above it. Once the wagon burns down there will be a bunch of rubble on top of the buried goods. Not very likely the orcs will find it. We can come back later to retrieve it, maybe.

All of this is going to have to be done very hush hush and covertly. I would not be shocked to find out the leader woman was magically listening in or spying. Also orcs could be up in the trees listening in or watching.

This is the best I can come up with and would be my decision more or less. I'm confident this plan can and will work. I am ready to find out if it will, unless we are waiting on some other input / ideas.

BIC: Oliron writes out all of his plans, thoughts, ideas on a piece of paper and shares it with his companions / caravan. If someone is unable to read it he asks them to follow him. Once he has got them all he whispers the plan to them in the cover of a wagon.

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 30th Sep, 2010 - 6:06am

30th Sep, 2010 - 8:46pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

OOC: I am going to say this one more time, and I hope you guys will understand what I'm saying.

Seven people cannot take on an army, and hope to win.

It doesn't happen. Ignore mechanics and all that for a second, and picture it. Seven people, trying to fight off an army. With no fortifications, no element of surprise, the army is in a better position, and the seven people also have to protect an entire caravan of merchants.

Remember, we have to keep all the merchants alive, and they're going to want to keep their stuff. If we're not bailing them, or turning on them, then we're going to have to keep all of them unharmed, alive, and with their belongings. This means no suicide charges, no burning the wagons, no trying to push our way through the orcs. If we're trying to stay with the caravan, our goal is to keep them alive and protect their merchandise and horses and wagons.

Not to mention that we'll be filled with arrows before we reach those orcs, and there are lord-only-knows how many of them.

The situation is bad. We do not have many options at this point. In fact, this is probably TPK. At this point, our only chance of survival is in hoping the orcs are bluffing. If they're bluffing, we can do pretty much whatever we want. I say we load our bows and crossbows, and push onward as we were. We can fight these three in front of us if we have to, and then keep going.

If there's an army, we're dead no matter what (assuming we don't ditch the caravan). If there is NOT an army, then this works.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Oct, 2010 - 5:16am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread - Page 241

Ooc: Filled with arrows? Not if we use the wagons as cover. We are just as likely to be filled of arrows sitting here or tromping threw the woods.

What I presented was hardly a suicide charge. So we burn a few wagons, I think the merchants would like that better than being left for dead. I am not suggesting we fight the entire army either. That is why I was going along with your and Eth's original plan / advice and adding my own to it. If we stay in one spot we will be fighting the whole army. If we start some strategic oil fires and go south we leave most of the enemy behind us.

Look, like Eth said she has obscuring mist. If we drop that on us while going south and use the wagons for cover the arrows effect will be minimal.

Man, I thought my plan was awesome. Anyway we should take a vote and get this thing going. I vote we do my plan. Which I want to thank Ryorst and Eth for their input because I got a lot of ideas from what they posted.

If we vote to ditch the caravan Oliron will not be joining the party. I just can't see Oliron being able to follow threw with that option. If he has to he will lead the caravan with his plan. I know I have been squawking on and on about us not splitting up but I can't find anywhere in Oliron's character that he would ditch the caravan. If we vote to bunker down and fight Oliron will be using the fire wall / forest fire tactic.

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 1st Oct, 2010 - 5:19am

1st Oct, 2010 - 5:41am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 241

In the name of roleplaying I have to say Eth pleads not to burn the forrest unless absolutely necessary,

I'm hoping if we act fast we will only fight these 3, but if we are caught by a full army, we may have to give up the carts if it means lives not only ours but the caravaners will be saved.

I vote we attack them, don't much mind how, maybe our high lvl horse back fighters should charge them tho as the caravans are slow and we don't want our horses to all die. Us slows with the caravans will offer ranged support as soon as we are close enough.

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.