Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 48 of 590

* Krusten listens intently to what seems to - Page 48 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 28th Dec, 2009 - 11:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

20th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue

+  « First of 590 pgs.  44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  ...Latest (590) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons Dragons Dungeons & Dragons - KNtoran
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 28th Dec, 2009 - 8:39am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 48

O.O.C.
O.k. I don't mean to sound rude, but I think maybe a little lesson about orcs is in order. Monster manual states a few very relevant facts which need to be taken into consideration.

One, orcs only gather in large bands when forced to do so by a powerful leader. In absence of that powerful leader the orcs immediatly fall to infighting and squabbling.

Orcs fear their leader more than death itself. And will follow all orders given to them even if it means their certain demise.

That being said, while the GM is for the most part god, even he has to follow certain rules of play. So before you dismiss the ventriloquism spell so readily take into consideration the sentences above which are pulled out of the monster manual. If ordered to kill themselves by their leader orcs will do it, they fear their leader more than death. So it is only a matter of making them believe it is their leader giving the order.

Also I have yet to play with a GM who doesn't give bonus points for ingenuity smile.gif

That being said, if the vote is still no then I will abandon the idea. But I still feel my reasoning is sound and logic correct. All that is lost if I am wrong would be one spell slot.

Sponsored Links:
28th Dec, 2009 - 10:06am / Post ID: #

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

"Fair enough, I'm willing to get some more ideas and opinions from the rest of the group on your proposals." the Sumite says to Banahll. "I'd like to see some topical interchange and group dynamic working with the new group here."

Rather off topic, but...
It sounds like you were one of the lucky ones to have a pretty good group and DM in the balance of your play experiences, especially with D&D, which to me, is a good sign for gamers and people who can benefit from the gamer experience and environment - but there are a lot of people, such as myself, who, over the years, have had a mixed bag of DMs and their interpretations of rules, from overly generous, to even-handed, to those who force you to make a Dex roll or trip and fall face-first on a curb and take 1D6 damage, and your DM at any given time may be one of those who learned to play, and game masters, that way, because that was his example.

So me personally, I wouldn't rely on a DM, especially one who is very familiar with a certain era or style of play and game mastering, to be "up" on, and abide by, all the current culture and other somewhat new or modified rules, or that he necessarily rewards certain styles of play, such as giving bonuses for cinematic or clever ideas. Some do, and I don't have any idea about KNtoran, I just tend to err on the side of caution and assume the more conservative or less optimistic, and "generic" outcome or ruling, so as to not be caught by surprise if something I might have been trying had a chance of not being very likely.

Me for example, when I GM, though I don't do D&D, I tend to reward clever ideas and give bonuses for creativity and entertaining posts and actions; however, even if I were GMing "normal" level of grittiness D&D, even though it is creative, I definitely would not be playing the orcs as you have characterized them, and a group of 10 people attacking an army of 50 or 100 would be dead or captured, as the plan would be unrealistic to me as GM, especially the idea that any large amount of any race or army, especially tough, military types, would all do something like commit mass suicide, for any reason.

To me, my reason says that outnumbered is outnumbered, unless the flavor of D&D you're running and playing is extremely high-fantasy and cinematic, like two Jedi fighting their way through an entire space station full of enemy troops. If you were playing in that style, then yes, I can see how your head-on plan might actually have some merit, as it isn't unknown for heroes to dispatch perhaps dozens of mook enemies each, and I even have a forum RPG I run sometimes that leans to this style of play. I have my doubts about that in this game, however, as we took 3 pages and nearly a week to complete a fight with only two orcs, and one of our number sustained nearly fatal wounds, which seems like they're being played pretty intelligently, from my estimation - the idea of facing dozens of orcs, considering our previous encounter, seems unwise, with the only possibility being your suicide ploy - which is an AWFULLY big IF, from my understanding of the current scenario and way it's being played.

28th Dec, 2009 - 4:20pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Lionel has been carefully listening to the conversation, and feels he should comment on the wizard's grand plan. Lionel rolls a 10+3 for high Wisdom for spot check, and moves close to the fighters of the group.

Lionel says quickly to Banahll, "My friend, I commend you for your ingenious plan, and if it goes through without a snare it would be most helpful, but I must point out two glaring flaws, one you assume far too much, and two you over estimate not only you ability but ours as well. For one, I cannot speak for Krusten but, I don't know the spells you have spoken of, two this ventriloquism spell I don't think it is strong enough to affect a 100 orcs, assuming of coarse that there are that many, and if it fails we *will* die. We can't handle any more then 20, at most, orcs, a hundred would be suicide, and this is only a few things that could go wrong with this plan", Lionel says, "I do feel we could use some of your points though, like using your bond with animals for information."

28th Dec, 2009 - 6:40pm / Post ID: #

Page 48 Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

ooc: I seriously doubt that the GM will put us up against more than we can reasonably handle. Of course there is always the possibility of returning to the town and then checking the dungeon.

28th Dec, 2009 - 6:43pm / Post ID: #

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Beast looks ahead then left to right and then at the group. He is waiting for some action, he is not one for much talk.

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2009 - 10:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

O.O.C. Your correct, I often played with a rather even handed GM who would accept any proposals and put it to the dice to see if it worked or not. However I see your point, without more knowledge of how Kntoran GM's such a plan is risky considering the odds. After more play perhaps you will be more comfortable with such an un-orthodox use of a spell.

That being said it is the ability to improvise and find new ways of doing things that keeps me interested in the game. If it turns out the KNtoran is the type of GM who doesn't allow such innovation then this may be my last game as "roll to hit, did three damage, cast magic missle, magic missile hit, shoot arrow, arrow missed," bores me and ruins the fun of free action in the game for me.

I'll stick to tried and true methods until we have a better understanding of what kind of GM KNtoran is.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 28th Dec, 2009 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread - Page 48

Off topic remarks have been moved to the appropriate Board. Do not Post solely in the off topic. See the Constructive Posting Policy.

28th Dec, 2009 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #
Krusten
Fighter 5
Character
Loner / Rear
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Active Player Active Role-player!

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 48

Born Free says...

* Krusten listens intently to what seems to be a lot of various opinions about the orcs in the area. She wonders how such conclusions can be reached without even having any hints about it. She tries to pay attention to the environment around her and suspiciously looks over the newcome as though trying to figure the true intentions. *

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.