Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 27 of 174

I posted my character correctly. I followed - Page 27 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 23rd Jan, 2010 - 4:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

20th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric

+  « First of 174 pgs.  23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...Latest (174) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
22nd Jan, 2010 - 3:35am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 27

KNtoran, Amaruil and I will need will need to know what we need to roll for our characters game of manipulation they will be playing.

Sponsored Links:
22nd Jan, 2010 - 4:03am / Post ID: #

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

international QUOTE (Amaruil @ 22-Jan 10, 3:14 AM)
You mean someone like Amaruil, right?

No, no I didn't even like think about your character. I was just thinking that we each ould get a different number because we each did different things. Anyway forget about it, its not like its so important because we all made it back alive and all.

22nd Jan, 2010 - 7:00am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions Archive Pathfinder / D&D

I can see what Beast is saying but I don't think thier exp. Reward reduced ours. I think It was just a booster for them so they do not fall to far behind.

22nd Jan, 2010 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Page 27 Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

From my perspective, I have some thoughts on it if anyone cares to read. In summary, I agree it is likely simplicity and general fairness and benefit of the doubt.

I do see what Play by Post means also, as when I played D&D or any game with an experience point system, it is at least an option (usually used by most GMs) to give out varying XP to characters depending on their actions. However, some GMs (and this may be a somewhat recent larger trend) do reward the "roleplay" aspect of roleplaying games, inter-personal interaction, and so the things posted in the Party thread, the character's activity and development, can count for "doing something" for some GMs, as it still adds extra entertainment or content overall, so rather than have to figure out each person's specific XP depending on their individual participation, both in and out of combat, (Oliron, you get 427 XP, Beast you get 512), it gets averaged, as there is a LOT of roleplay going on between the characters and the players' posts (I mean 70 some pages? wow!)

In many RPGs now, and some older ones, such as Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (my chosen fantasy RPG), the XP is done en masse for the whole party with very significant exceptions, more like KNtoran has done with the 500/300/200 depending on how long someone has been in the party. The players are there participating, staying and maintaining their character and being able to be there, whether immediately active or not, at the time, ready to provide backup or specific aid, providing support, and others are wading into the fray with swords and spells, but both are still there "at the table", showing player dedication also, from a metagaming standpoint, and you sort of award XP based on that as well, not just character development but player participation.

As a comparison, generally my WFRP group got between 50 and 100 XP each session, across the board, unless someone joined really late or died and made a new character, or was really, really useless and possibly detrimental to play. Each 100xp would allow you to raise certain stats by 5% (stats are 1-100) or buy a new skill or something, and you didn't really change to another career until you had purchased all the required skills and stats for that career, so it took a long time there too, though there was no "level", you just had better stats and skills and could change careers fairly simply.

To me, although I understand the participation aspect, as I ran WFRP some, I do find it hard to give out 75 XP to four people but tell one guy he gets 50 - he may have roleplayed very well, or done a LOT in combat, but was there only for a short time or got on my nerves talking on his cell phone or playing on a laptop or something, so part of the reason for mass XP awarding could also be to avoid the GM maybe making unfair/unwise/biased decisions, and rolling with the flow better, keeping everyone "in the bubble" so to speak, if possible, so nobody really jumps ahead (or falls behind). If the player is there, participating and bringing something to the game, being clever in their play, enjoying him or herself and providing entertainment for others, I look at that more than the character's accomplishments, so really, I think it's more about rewarding the player him or herself, by essentially giving "him" a slightly cooler action figure to play with, so who wouldn't want a bunch of people all with cool action figures?

Post Date: 22nd Jan, 2010 - 7:55pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions
A Friend

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

For those wanting to know about experience. I figure experience out by what you as a party does. IF you character participated or not or even died. The party as a whole will get a certain amount of experience. If one person stands out more then he/she may get something extra. IF a person does not help out at all then I will make a note of it and they will not get anything. It takes a group working together to keep each other alive and well. If the party does not work together then it soon falls apart and the individuals are easier killed. I hope that helps you all understand the experience points.

Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2010 - 4:06am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'm so confused. What do I do after I've created and I posted my character? How soon will it get approved? And what is the pace of this? Is it the dungeon master posts the narrative, then whenever the players get online they do what? Please help me.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use uppercase letters as appropriate: names, start of sentence, etc. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd Jan, 2010 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions - Page 27

The Dice Master says...

First off, slow down, way down... Did you read anything since you joined this Community? I mean the Rules, the edits, the Replies - anything? You are Posting like a Teeny Bopper and that is not going to get you far here.

You Posted an incorrect Character. I replied saying what you had to do, now you ask this. Go Post the correct Character information and then the GM (at his leisure, maybe tomorrow) will approve your Character and give you instructions. Then if your Character is approved you can Post in the Party Thread. Now I suggest you read the AD&D FAQ and other Threads here to understand how things work so the Mods and I do not have to be following you around deleting / editing your Posts.

Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2010 - 4:29am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 27

I posted my character correctly. I followed the character sheet example from the mod.

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.