Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 35 of 174

Yes you can attempt that if that is what you - Page 35 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 15th Mar, 2010 - 2:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

20th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian

+  « First of 174 pgs.  31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  ...Latest (174) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 7th Mar, 2010 - 10:38pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 35

Oh no, you misunderstand. I was talking about waiting 24 hours to post twice in a row if I forgot to add something to my last post. I have no qualms with the pace of the game. Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links:
8th Mar, 2010 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

international QUOTE
You guys might be able to make the forums a little more user friendly, though.

Dude, you better keep that to yourself. laugh.gif The amount of work they put in here with links and tips all over if you get lost then there might not be like any hope for you. Just chill dude and get used to everything.

international QUOTE
Also, I have a few other questions related to creating a character, is there a way that I can talk to the DM individually (Maybe e-mail) or do I just keep posting on this thread?

Nobody here tells you anything by email you just post your question and wait for an answer. About the oriental thing I think someone asked that before and the GM isn't accepting those. Just use the generator and like make whatever there at level 1.

Post Date: 8th Mar, 2010 - 2:14am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Well, thank you for letting me know. It's a little disappointing since D&D is all about creativity, and customizing is especially creative, but I'll have fun either way. Thanks again.

8th Mar, 2010 - 8:03am / Post ID: #

Page 35 Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

I'm not a GM in either game but I'll give my two cents - though no guarantee they're worth the metal they're stamped on.

international QUOTE
I'm starting to get the hang of how things work here, I think. You guys might be able to make the forums a little more user friendly, though. I'm still a bit lost, but I guess that's what comes with a role playing game.

I myself have made this comment before, but you do eventually get used to the setup - a lot of it is that there is just SO much information, that it makes the whole structure look odd, compared to most other forums you've generally seen on the internet, plus the graphics and various themes and links and forum specific menus and such. It is a bit of a learning curve but it doesn't take long if you just focus on the threads themselves and their content and not so much on what they look like.

international QUOTE

I have a few questions, is there a way to post on here and be notified when posts are responded to or do I have to keep checking the threads to find out?

Yes actually, if you haven't already found it, you may Subscribe to a thread, which will e-mail you when it has been posted in - I myself turned mine off because I login at least once a day, and was getting dozens of emails each day, but in your profile I think are a few options for turning this on and off, but I think generally, to start, everything you reply to/in become automatic subscription threads.

international QUOTE

Also, I have a few other questions related to creating a character, is there a way that I can talk to the DM individually (Maybe e-mail) or do I just keep posting on this thread?

PMing is a premium feature for contributors, as far as I know. The questions threads do get direct attention from the GM's when they're online and able to work on the games, just make sure to be as clear as you can and exactly what you do and don't want, and questions in their completeness, so the GM can respond as helpfully as possible, without you both having to fence back and forth with bits and pieces.

international QUOTE
Sorry if I come off as annoying. I'm just trying to learn. What better way than to ask questions?

If you ask a moderator that, the answer will be "read the FAQ". But yah, ask in the game questions thread, your own intro thread, etc (course, for game stuff, the game questions threads are ideal).

international QUOTE

Ah. The waiting 24 hours thing to post again is a pain... Just found out that I can edit...

Same here, I've had numerous run ins with "double post limit exceeded" and all kinds of crazy errors.

international QUOTE
Well, I've read the rules, F.A.Q., I've skipped around reading the threads, and all I would like now is a little bit of guidance from a human being to set me off in the right direction. Tips on gameplay that might not be in the rules would be helpful to me at the moment. For example, I'm not familiar with the "occ" or "sa" things...

These are shorthand. Most play by post and forum and email games use some standardized/universal terms such as OOC for Out-of-Character - you may also use the [ offtopic ] tags that are part of the forum, though we tend to use those as a separate style of OOC - you'll get used to your own and others' styles as you play.

SA is kinda novel to this game here anyway, and means Specific Action - it helps the Party Leader grasp the important part of someone's RP turn post in the Party thread, so they might write 2 paragraphs of RP descriptives, but the PL might have a hard time picking through it and figuring out exactly what the player wants to do, so the SA label is intended to allow the PL to be able to grab the vital basics so he can summarize turns for the GM.

Also when things like dice rolls are specifically asked for, or when attempting something you expect may need one or more dice rolls, it is best to use this in-forum dice roller above and, for me, I make and record 2 different rolls for the die types of D6, D12, D20 and whatever your damage for your weapon is. D6 is usually your initiative roll, D12 is generally your Spot or "notice" roll, and D20 is your skill check/hit roll, then as noted, your appropriate damage die - I just roll 2 for each just so the bases are covered in case the GM asks for more than one of the same roll, but then once he has applied one, I start over, rather than trying to "save" or "keep" the other previous rolls - I mean, it's just "dice" and part of the fun is seeing where randomness gets you - even bad rolls can be entertaining.

international QUOTE

Well, thank you for letting me know. It's a little disappointing since D&D is all about creativity, and customizing is especially creative, but I'll have fun either way. Thanks again.

Well, I think you may be misunderstanding a little here. I can't speak for the GMs but what some people don't get is there is a difference between the creativity/roleplaying aspect of a game, and its system mechanics. My character in KNtoran's for example, is a half-orc from the south and east, basically the fantasy version of the Middle East, you know, the old Mongol and Arab type medieval cultures - Persian. I made up this convoluted story about inter-kingdom war and came up with all kinds of names stealing Hittite and Sumerian, for example, to make Sumite, and then threw in some researched ideas like Caliphates and Emirates, etc. I determined my half-orc rogue uses a scimitar (luckily those are standard) as themic color, and wears a turban and kufiya face covering and has a noticeable Persian accent, etc. Nobody said I could or couldn't do any of that, or that there was or was not such a place that existed, or where my character was from or if there were orcs there. But I still just took a half-orc rogue of chaotic neutral alignment - it's all quite vanilla, if looked at from a system standpoint.

Again, make sure to get clarification, but I think as long as what you come up with seems entertaining and doesn't seem to threaten to ruin or break anything, or contradict ideas or established facts, or give some sort of obvious bonus or advantage, I can't imagine personal interpretation being a problem. Like for example I know I read in older books, in a pinch, a longsword and a shortsword or rapier (or even long dagger) could be considered a katana and wakizashi, but you'd still need the Two Weapon fighting feat to use them both at the same time, etc. But it IS doable, to emulate what you're talking about, using the existing system - if that isn't creativity, I don't know what is.

Post Date: 8th Mar, 2010 - 3:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Thank you very much, JPatt. Your information is incredibly helpful. I suppose I get carried away with out-of-the-box thinking and tend to stretch my limits with rules in RPGs. I'll do my best to refrain from that to make gameplay more enjoyable.

14th Mar, 2010 - 8:02am / Post ID: #

KNtoran. Ryorst and Namdar have come from the Duke's and saw the figure riding southward.

Can Namdar sneak up to him, if Ryorst provides a distraction? I want to find a way to unseat him from his horse, preferably without having to wrestle him off of it, though I'm quite willing to do that if necessary, given Namdar's assumed larger-than-usual size.

My first idea is to run out all of a sudden, yelling and banging scimitar against buckler, to spook the horse, then grabbing the reins or bit and bridle and jerking them harshly, hopefully causing the horse to rear up and buck off its surprised rider, yelling at the others to surround the guy.

If necessary, I'd also like to use my Jump, Climb and such skills to help make a good enough leap to tackle the rider off, if he doesn't go off as I hope to begin with. I will then proceed to use my social Bluff, Acting, Intimidate, Sense Motive, etc to make him stay where he is, answer questions and remove his hood, or remove it for him if he still refuses.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Mar, 2010 - 8:12am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions - Page 35

Hey JPatt, very good ideas. Also I was hoping you would take the party leader torch.

Post Date: 15th Mar, 2010 - 2:01am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 35

Yes you can attempt that if that is what you wish to do. Like I said I am all for those to come up with some out of the ordinary ploy. You will have to make some successful rolls. Remember your out in the open and the horse if not the rider may see you coming and not be spooked. Besides is it a war trained horse or not?

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.