Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 42 of 174

Sorry if this has already been addressed but - Page 42 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 23rd Apr, 2010 - 8:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

20th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin

+  « First of 174 pgs.  38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  ...Latest (174) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
28th Mar, 2010 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 42

Again, Mainly what is desirable is a raven, which can speak common. It doesn't have to constantly be on your shoulder. In fact, the raven familiar for the sorceror in another campaign I'm in acts mainly as messenger and eyes in the sky. It hasn't yet even been in range of an attack from a hostile creature. That, in my eyes, is the most useful familiar, from the ones I've seen.

Sponsored Links:
28th Mar, 2010 - 1:10am / Post ID: #

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Yes, I am also thinking along those lines. I am not playing a wizard so I can't really have a strong opinion. I am not trying to say someone should play my way. However, (after my little disclaimer) in my experiences playing as a wizard, my familiar dying was never really an issue. As long as I used common sense with it and didn't send it to its death.

Though one time I was paralyzed threw the eyes of my familiar. I was playing a type of high elf wizard with an elvan cat as a familiar. I had it up in a tree, invisible, looking for enemies, scouting. It spotted some medusa who turned it into stone on it seeing them. Fell to the ground and almost shattered. Then, sense I was looking threw its eyes, I was also turned to stone. Most unfortunate, but lucky me they were lesser medusa. Apparently if you cut out their heart and burn it, the petrification is reversed. This was all taking place within HackMaster not ADnD, but it is very similar, just generally a little more hardcore about things.

29th Mar, 2010 - 11:01am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Not being a D&D player since high school except for a brief spate of about 6 months of one guy running Temple of Elemental Evil with 3.5, a lot of what you all are talking about is kinda fluttering around like confusing streamers - spells per level and spells from which you can choose, spells per day, familiars...

I vaguely recognize and remember some of the stuff from the books though I admit I didn't read through either the whole 3.5 Player or GM Manual or the free SRD, you know, deliberately, to learn it - I just used parts for reference. But ... Overall, the GM just sets the official stats right? Like if he says 4 spells max, then it's 4, right? I mean, as long as there is a consistent guideline, it should work out the same for everybody shouldn't it?

I never played a wizard, did play a cleric but not all that much and they didn't work quite the same, so the wizard stuff and confusion over how many spells are available in the spellbook, and then how many can be taken at any one time, is something I'm wondering about - we need to make sure we get an idea of what is and isn't allowed and how things are done, so this kind of thing doesn't come up and need to be resolved from start to finish right in the middle of a spell casting or something.

I'm still curious, KNtoran, the way everyone is talking about keeping XP and equipment and stuff and buying new spells and such - I have to say, I've never seen a real tabletop "campaign" last more than a couple years and that was at least one session every week or two - can't say I've EVER seen an internet rpg go more than scenario level, as far as longevity - you do the adventure, then it's over - never seen a "persistent" world setting idea come to fruition, like using the same character for another pbp, and further developing him - is that really feasible? Does it happen?

Rather off topic, but...
It sounds neat, my friend is making a Star Trek campaign on my forums and the way he talks, he's planning on that sort of "continuing universe", so people like us that play tabletop in real life can also interact on the forums, with other people who are somewhere else and may not play with us - I've expressed my same skepticism to him about this; I guess it just seems almost hopelessly optimistic that a lasting game setting or campaign can actually happen. I love RPGs but I haven't done any pbp for any amount of time and never been a member of a community to know how common it is.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the SAME subject matter and does not develop into another Topic. See Constructive Posting Policy.

29th Mar, 2010 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

Page 42 Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

international QUOTE
Overall, the GM just sets the official stats right? Like if he says 4 spells max, then it's 4, right? I mean, as long as there is a consistent guideline, it should work out the same for everybody shouldn't it?

I agree, in the context I was in though I am not going against what KNtoran said. He was talking about the difference between sorcerer spells and wizards spells. The 4 available is referring to the amount that sorcerers can choose from, though they get more spells per day. The seven that I was saying is referring to the new wizards available level one spells to have in his book to choose from. The only reason I said anything is because at some point the math was off and Provokastora thought he had only six max available when it is actually seven.

This is what Provokastora posted in the party thread.
international QUOTE
if I am allowed to pick 6 spells instead of 4 at level 1, the 2 extra spells being magic weapon and minor image)

This is the rule for wizard spells, which is in the adnd stats section.
international QUOTE
plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice

Provokastora has a +4 bonus to from his intelligence. This comes out to a 7.

It is only one more spell to choose from but for a wizard (in my experience) one more spell is a big help. I had a bit of free time and am just thinking Provokastora, and the party, could benefit from the correction of this slight oversight.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2010 - 2:14am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions
A Friend

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

I have seen people play the same characters for more than one campaign. I have a character that I have played in the same world for over ten years. He has risen from level one to level 18. I have gotten a lot of ideas from books and playing the game for a long long time.

2nd Apr, 2010 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

The Dice Master says...

Updates

Stronghold Thread updated to look like the rest of the AD&D Threads.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Apr, 2010 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions - Page 42

Thank you JB. I should have started it so it looked more like the rest. smile.gif

23rd Apr, 2010 - 8:02am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 42

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I think some people still unsure of the spellcasters spells known and spells per day, Lionel the sorcerer should only know 2 1stlvl spells. But can cast 4 1stlvls a day

(Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.)

Sorry If this has been sorted also I feel like I'm dobbing, but I just want to share my experience with sor/wiz with those who havent played them before

Also let me know if I'm following the wrong edition

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.