Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 72 of 174

Sorry but it didn't, the range for - Page 72 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 8th Oct, 2010 - 3:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

21st September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Draconian
Draconian
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin

+  « First of 174 pgs.  68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76  ...Latest (174) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
8th Oct, 2010 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 72

Dude its real simple to find out but since you don't know here it is,

1 metre [m] -100 cm - 1.0936 yd
1 kilometre [km] - 1000 m - 0.6214 mile

or

1 mile - 1760 yd 1.6093 km
1 int nautical mile - 2025.4 yd 1.853 km

then you have

1 yard [yd] - 3 ft 0.9144 m
1 inch [in] - 2.54 cm

Sponsored Links:
8th Oct, 2010 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

OK, maybe I wasn't clear.

DnD is devided up rather simply into multiples of 5 feet.

5 ft by 5 ft squares make up the locations of individuals. 10 by 10 for horses or other large creatures. Spells and such have ranges in multiples of 5 ft usually, to make things easier. Extremely long range spells have their ranges in miles.It's all kept really simple, though, since even though I can't imagine 5 feet wide bushes, etc, I can simply scale things up and down since everything is based on this same "5 ft" measurement. So if I imagine that 5ft is actually just two meters, and imagine it all based on that, it is fine, since it's just scaled differently.

When we get things like 4.5 feet, 10 yards, 50 yards, it all gets thrown off, and my 50 feet per round movement doesn't make sense. If they're 50 yards away, then by moving 50 feet per round, I can make it to them in exactly yards/feet+computation-math*confusion/monkey rounds.

now, metric makes it a lot less confusing by simply moving a decimal place, but it still doesn't help much. D&D is designed to work with measurements in feet, in multiples of 5, and miles to cover large distances. Miles really aren't used except in spells specifically listing those as the distance measurements.

Which is why this is confusing me so much. A horse stands alone in an area 10 feet by 10 feet. If the road is only 8 feet across, how are we moving down it on horseback? What's more, How are the wagons only 4.5 feet across? A single human being requires 5 ft by 5ft area to stand in, a 4.5 ft across wagon couldn't hold the driver.

And then there's bow range. Technically, to be out of bow range, you'd have t be 1000 feet away, but that's a bit far for this, so I take it that a safe distance is more likely 300-500 feet, since the penalties at that range make attacking highly inaccurate, and shots cannot be relied upon unless the archer is a very high level.

The whole situation we're in is actually quite nice. A "line of orcs across the road" if the road is only 8 feet across, is only one or two orcs. In fact, the three orcs on horseback are lined up single file, since two horses cannot ride down the road at the same time.

This is the sort of thing that having a map would help with. Mainly because simply imagining reality, and basing your measurements accordingly, is going to wreak havoc with the game mechanics. There are no "yards" in D&D, there are no paths that are 8 feet wide, it's either 5, or 10. Unless you're specifically listing an area where we have to treat ourselves as "squeezed" or where we treat large creatures as "squeezed." an 8 ft path would force horses and other large creatures to act as "squeezed" while medium creatures could work normally, though they'd have to go single file into combat. A 4.5 ft wide wagon would be able to house a single medium creature, "squeezed".

8th Oct, 2010 - 1:43am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Oh cool I get what you're saying now. I'm not like really reading the game so I didn't know what you wanted it for but it all makes sense. Maybe the GM will do something different with the numbers for you.

Rather off topic, but...
How come you like haven't run a D&D game here? You'd probably make a good GM cause you're active and all.

8th Oct, 2010 - 2:06am / Post ID: #

Page 72 Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Rather off topic, but...
Because if I was going to run a D&D game, I'd want to use the full SRD, or maybe run it with OD&D.

Alright then. I'm glad you understand my problem. I'd still like the DM to either explain what he's doing, or maybe even switch to a more simple method of understanding.

8th Oct, 2010 - 2:10am / Post ID: #

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Ok when he said gust of wind was 60yard he ment ft as I just checked it again,
a 60ft line from the caster. (I want to shoot that darn caster!)

as for the whole a person needing 5ft space

international QUOTE
In general, when the characters aren't engaged in round-by-round combat, they should be able to move anywhere and in any manner that you can imagine real people could. A 5-foot square, for instance, can hold several characters; they just can't all fight effectively in that small space. The rules for movement are important for combat, but outside combat they can impose unnecessary hindrances on character activities

and a horse is 10ft by 5 I'm pretty sure,

BUT still if a path is 8 ft it leaves us a bit confused or left to round it up/down ourself like Rentok said the game is built on multiples of 5ft.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2010 - 2:33am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions

I have never gone by the multiples of 5 as I feel it is limiting. I think a horse is not ten feet long and 5 feet wide. Well maybe in total war gear and a heavy warhorse. You have to remember the basics of measurements. The ancient wagons were based on a roman roadway. All wagons and chariots were based on the wheels being about 4.5 ft apart. This was a common measurement. I know that 60 feet is close range for a bow. 100 feet is close range. I base range weapons like spells and bows on yards. Even when I figure a person movement rate. IF the book says 30" I take that as 30 yards. IF the book says 60" for a spell it is 60 yards. I can not fathom someone will let a person get withing 35 yards just to shoot them with a bow. When I shoot a bow I use a target that is about 40 meters away. That is still close to me. I hope this helps answer some questions.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Oct, 2010 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions - Page 72

I'm sure he will cause Kntoran is pretty flexible I think.

Oh and he did already!

Rather off topic, but...
You should be able to run whatever in this section but I don't know for sure. You can always ask.

8th Oct, 2010 - 3:47am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 72

Sorry but it didn't, the range for a short bow is 60ft with deadly acuracy, it can shoot all the way up to 600ft though, and a comp longbow can shoot up to 1100 but of course after 110 it starts to lose acuracy, so how far can we shoot then if not by the dnd rules? can a comp long bow now shoot 1100 yards or 1700 if you have the far shot feat?

And with the spells are you saying all spells that have a range measured in ft is now trippled?

Also I see no romans, but I can see elfs and orcs.

so whats the new required combat space?

the cart can be 4.5 or what ever tickles you fancy, but the only way that .5 affects us is, in how much space we have and if we have to look at half numbers and minor measurements of all different scales it gets time consumng and annoying, thats why it has always been rounded to the 5ft square,

Its in that square, what ever its actual size and that square is occupied. Thats all we want to know.

are we going to face times when something is say 36 ft away and with a move of 30 and a reach of 5 not be able to hit it due to 1 ft distance?

the entire combat system is based on 5ft squares, for attacks of op, charging, flanking, threatened areas, spells, reach, I just think its a bad idea now to mix it up.

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.