Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 74 of 174

This range stuff will be a work in progress. - Page 74 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 16th Oct, 2010 - 8:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

21st September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  « First of 174 pgs.  70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78  ...Latest (174) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
13th Oct, 2010 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 74

You never answered any of my questions

ill skip the other details but whats mostly important to me now is

If you are changing the ft to yards can a comp long bow now shoot 110 yards acurately or 1100 yards at range increment minuses?

And with the spells are you saying all spells that have a range measured in ft is now trippled?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2010 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions
A Friend

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Measurements to try to get all of you to see where I am coming from.

I have no problem with the 5foot square rule but I do have a problem with some of the ranges that they list in the players handbook and DMG. Example a touch spell you can be 10 ft away. A close range spell you can be 20 feet away a medium range is 40 ft plus 10ft per caster. But a spell that would be a ranged spell has a limit of only 60 feet? It makes no sense. I can live with the spell ranges and keep them by the book if that is what everyone wants. I guess I am used to the first edition rules where a gust of wind spell increases its range per level of the caster.

Now take ranged weapons you can throw a dagger and a hand axe only 10 ft before you start to get penalties a short bow 60 ft. Ten feet is not very far the average person has a 3-4 foot reach so your saying the dagger or axe is only accurate for 6 more feet? Walk ten feet from a object and look how close you are to it. Then walk ten yards from a object and you can see what I am getting at. I am saying that a dagger and axe have a range of 10 yards and range increments begin after that. Bows have a range of 60 yards and range increments begin after that. So a short bow max range is 600 yards a long bows mas is 1000 yards. This is for outside only as you can arch your shots. Indoors and under ceiling or limited space a bow ranges is greatly reduced. I am not saying my rules or the books rules are perfect and having a discussion to get everyone agreeable to a rule is a ever going process.

14th Oct, 2010 - 4:44am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions Archive Pathfinder / D&D

I don't see a problem it actually makes some sense.

Anytime I think of altering a rule in my game I wonder how that is going to affect everything else.

Like ranges increase but we still move the same rate. So these guys could be standing a few rounds or more further back. Meaning they are going to shower us with arrows.

I don't have a problem with the ranges but I think their should be some significant penalties to the shooters accuracy. If your outside and shooting in the area of an enemy. Much like a volley of arrows does not pick out a single target. Your accuracy is greatly reduced. The only reason you even hit a target is because if they move left, right, whatever, bam another arrow.

Further hitting a non-living stationary target is a lot different than hitting an armored intelligent mobile one that may or may not have cover.

I guess what I'm saying is not only should there be a reduction to their to hit roll, but also a certain percent chance they miss completely. If target has cover or is using a shield as cover I think that would also raise their chance of being completely unharmed.

Sigh, either way thats just how I am picturing it. I have my actions ready and a few others do to. I think we are waiting on the druid and barbarian?

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 14th Oct, 2010 - 4:53am

Post Date: 15th Oct, 2010 - 4:00am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 74 Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Hmm I surveyed abit thru this site my survival skills are definetly up to par to find this "village" and to link up with my future companions

Post Date: 15th Oct, 2010 - 7:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

To slopy
Hey dude, welcome to AD&D play-by-post forums. I suggest you first create you character (if you haven't already) and post the details in the Characters For Play By Post thread.

Also you start doing stuff while pretending you're 'in the village'. For that you can post in the AD&D Party Thread.
There are 2 players in the village already; so hurry and start making things exciting.

16th Oct, 2010 - 5:58am / Post ID: #

I do have a problem with the range increase. For starters, increasing it to yards means that it's that much harder to calculate ranges, since movement is in feet, and attack range in yards. Furthermore, the whole 10ft range for daggers and throwing axes is just the accurate range. Move 10ft from something, look at it. You're still pretty close, right? throw a knife at it. You should be pretty accurate. Move 10 ft further from it. Not so accurate now, are you? at a range of 110 ft, you won't be hitting it anymore.

If 1 yard is 3 ft, then you just made throwing axes as accurate when thrown 30ft as they are when you swing them in melee combat. I'm sorry, but I don't see that.

I have no idea what's going on IC, so somebody else take party leadership, I can't do it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Oct, 2010 - 6:07am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions - Page 74

Nothing has changed really. We still need an action from Eth and yourself. I am going south then ducking into the tree line at the last moment. The others guys are with the caravan and using the wagons as cover. It's all there, just a few threads back.

Post Date: 16th Oct, 2010 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 74

This range stuff will be a work in progress. The person who used the gust of wind spell did cast it in front of the orc archers but due to the mists you could not see him/her/it. With the mists taking four rounds to become completely removed by the gust of wind spell the caster was able to move back. Does that make sense to you all?

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.