Copying A Forum To Another Database

Copying Forum Database - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 20th Oct, 2009 - 3:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 20th Oct, 2009 - 2:14am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have an smf forum with lots of mods and lots of tweaking done to them to get them all to work with my particular theme. I want to start similar forums with the same layout. How do I copy my forum to another site?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links:
20th Oct, 2009 - 2:18am / Post ID: #

Database To Forum Copying

I'm not sure I understand, you want to duplicate your site to another domain or you want to start a new site and then replicate the changes on your current site to the new site?

Post Date: 20th Oct, 2009 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Copying A Forum To Another Database Gaming Video & Issues Computer

I want to start a new forum, on another domain but have this new forum just be an exact copy of the original forum.

20th Oct, 2009 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Exact copy including database. OK, here is what you need to do assuming your domain and hosting for the other site is already setup and you have Cpanel:

1. Make a full copy of your sites files and database. Save your database as an SQL file for porting. You do this via PhpMyAdmin.
2. If the new domain is on the same server and you have root access simply go into Cpanel then File Manager and copy files to the new folder. Do not download and then upload otherwise you will have to reset permissions and a lot of other things.
3. Create a new database with username / password then port in the database using the SQL you created in #1
4. Now go to the new files and edit the settings to match the new domain and database. That should be it!

Post Date: 20th Oct, 2009 - 2:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thanks for your reply.

Getting stuck on the file manager stage. I think I successfully copied the database through myphpadmin but how do I get that in file manager?

20th Oct, 2009 - 3:09am / Post ID: #

File manager is for files. PhpMyAdmin is for the MySQL database.

1. Go to Cpanel look for Database options and create a new database, note your password and name. I assume you know how to do that so I will not go into detail about it.

2. Then go to PhpMyAdmin and to your new database. Click on the SQL tab. Then upload the SQL to the new database.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Oct, 2009 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Copying Forum To Database

Please bare with me, I am not very familiar with MyPhpAdmin.

I have created the new database but I can not see how to get the copied forum in there. I go to the new database, click the tab for sql but then it's an empty box, please tell me how to get that copied forum in there.

Thanks for your help

20th Oct, 2009 - 3:24am / Post ID: #

Copying Forum To Database Computer Issues & Video Gaming

No problem, ask until you get it right.

When you created the copy of your old database you saved it to your drive? If so, how large is it? If it is under 2MB then you should be able to just open the SQL file using Notepad (not Wordpad) and copy all the text and paste it in that box you said was empty then press "Go".

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Copying A Forum To Another Database

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,